Now we really need residency

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Inexpensive residence card

I used an attorney recommended by local longtime friends. She charged about 15,000 pesos for everything. Her name is Miladis, she is in Santo Domingo and her number is 809-860-2741. Just say referred by Rosa and Hyme. The dentists. One thing though, for some reason, the government has been taking their sweet time entering your information on the government computer systems. When going to stores for credit or to open a bank account, they cannot find your name, even though you have the Residence Card in your possession. I had to go back to Santo Domingo to the Main office (junta)and they wrote official letters (for a small fee) with their stamp and then everyone was happy. To open a bank account, you need this letter addressed TO THE BANK of your choice. Then another letter of the same info. for everyone else that looks up your name and can't find it. Make sure you get this letter at the same time (different locations) or you will just have to go back. Have fun

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Why is everyone getting their panties in a wad, this law IMHO is clearly aimed at Haitian immigrants, at least in the enforcement, if not the letter of said law; (if and when it is ever actually enforced). I seriously doubt they will start rounding up foreigners and sending them away, regardless of their residency status, unless they have a very specific reason to.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
I finally got my residency card and cedula yesterday and it cost a lot less than US1000 as I did it by myself. the worst part are the trips to the capital and waiting in line.

One doesn't need to pay a lawyer a big fee if they don't need a garante, other than to draft up the carta de garante.

As far as being here illegaly, I belive they will have their hands full with the real troublemakers and won't bother so much with those who have clean records other than to ask for a picadita. Nonetheless, I recommend getting the residency as it isn't to difficult nor expensive.

I have also pm this question to Chip, as he has done it already. I felt why not put it also out to the general population here.

It is a question regarding residency. I have lived here 18 months now, and would like to do my residency myself just like Chip did, if it has been outlined here (proper procedure for self-residency) in DR1, can you direct me to the thread, because when I have done a search to find it, I haven't as of yet been able to locate the correct thread. Maybe I haven't put in the correct key words.

Or if you can give me some pointers as far as the best way to proceed. I went to the Consulate in Santo Domingo, but wasn't allowed in to talk to anyone inside and the instruction given by the guy outside (in spanish) were confusing to say the least. One other thing my wife who is a Dominicana, we were married in the States, (we are currently separated although not divorced) of 10 yrs and my daughter who was born in the US live here, I will also be trying to do her residency at the same time. The fact that my wife is Dominican and we have been married for so long will thay assist me in any way.

As I stated I attempted to get the procedures understood when I first moved down to Santo Domingo, but with the confusing instructions I received; I guess I just put it off. Obviously I can't put it off any longer. I was going to wait until my estranged wife and daughter move to the capital, which is going to happen as soon as the school year ends in June. But if I can get the info now that will be helpful and maybe I can start the process now instead of waiting.

Thank you for your anticipated guidance.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
I used an attorney recommended by local longtime friends. She charged about 15,000 pesos for everything. Her name is Miladis, she is in Santo Domingo and her number is 809-860-2741. Just say referred by Rosa and Hyme. The dentists. One thing though, for some reason, the government has been taking their sweet time entering your information on the government computer systems. When going to stores for credit or to open a bank account, they cannot find your name, even though you have the Residence Card in your possession. I had to go back to Santo Domingo to the Main office (junta)and they wrote official letters (for a small fee) with their stamp and then everyone was happy. To open a bank account, you need this letter addressed TO THE BANK of your choice. Then another letter of the same info. for everyone else that looks up your name and can't find it. Make sure you get this letter at the same time (different locations) or you will just have to go back. Have fun

I just saw this post maybe I will give this attorney a call and see what she says. As far as a bank account I have one, at the Santa Cruz Banco, I have had that account for over a year now, although I don't keep much in it.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
By the way another reason, I would like to get my residency at least underway, is that I am looking into starting a business hopefully in about 6 months, and I realize that there are added protection etc. with having residency.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Why is everyone getting their panties in a wad, this law IMHO is clearly aimed at Haitian immigrants, at least in the enforcement, if not the letter of said law; (if and when it is ever actually enforced). I seriously doubt they will start rounding up foreigners and sending them away, regardless of their residency status, unless they have a very specific reason to.
^^^Gets it...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

And I hope no-one reads that as an endorsement of not having residency, because I know you wouldn't have meant it to be read that way.;) And we do get some people reading here who don't always pick up exactly what a poster is saying.

I haven't as of yet been able to locate the correct thread. Maybe I haven't put in the correct key words.

Have a look in Legal Forum - there are several threads there.

I went to the Consulate in Santo Domingo, but wasn't allowed in to talk to anyone inside

You mean your own Consulate? Would that be the US Consulate/Embassy? And no-one would speak to you???? Is that what you're saying? Because, I find that a little hard to believe.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
..... I will also be trying to do her residency at the same time.

Your daughter is already a Dominican because her mother is Dominican, her paper work is completely different to do.

Don SantiagoDR

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
:laugh::laugh: Brilliant! Post of the month award!

No kidding.

I haven't worn pants in 4 years and I just tried them on and now I need to order a new pair ( noticed I only said 1 ) for my trip to the capitol for residency.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
I may have been.

You mean your own Consulate? Would that be the US Consulate/Embassy? And no-one would speak to you???? Is that what you're saying? Because, I find that a little hard to believe.

Yes I mean the US Consulate, my spanish wasn't the best in the world at that time, we were lined up outside on Maximo Gomez, I explained to the screener what info I was looking for, he told me I didn't need to go inside and tried to explain that I was in the wrong place said something about Juntos and handed me some forms to fill out and sent me on my way. Again at the time, I didn't see the urgency and figured I could do it at a later date. Now 5 or 6 months have transpired some other things have happened for example my desire to open up a business, and I would like to get it done, especially in light of the original post.

Perhaps he was wearing shorts?

;)L V

Very cute;) you may be right, I probably was wearing shorts that day.:laugh:

For those that don't know this is in reference to a thread I started last night.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

you are 100% wrong.
of course the biggest amount of immigrants is coming from the neighboured Haiti, that's logical by location aside of many other reasons, but the immigration laws are in no way just done for Haitian citizens.
and you are completely wrong with your untrue remark on the enforcement. during my 14 years on the Isle i can not count how often immigrations collected dozens of truck loads of illegal immigrants of all nationalities and sent them back to where they belonged. deportations of illegal immigrants is something happening every month many times, and that's good.
in prior posts people mentioned that their home countries give illegal immigrants free lodging and social security aso aso, so what??? does that meant the dominican republic should be the same stupid than your home country? do you wanna tell me that you are a poor soul who is chased by some religious/fundamentalist aso stupi$s so you need the protection of the dominican gubmin??
all those 'high educated' expats coming over here to the banana republic should be educated enough to understand the sence of our immigrations laws and should also be able to pay the really small fees our country asks for to get that residency, which is a simple and absolutely hassle free process.
if you can't afford that you are for sure not a member of the community who spend's his/her money over here to assist the country. there are still thousands out there which are just a p.i.t.a. for the local communities, they did not move anything back home in mother's country and they will never do so over here, i applaud to each who get's loaded on the truck and carried to the next airport for the ride home to mom, even that in very most cases mom does not wanna know anything about him/her arriving back there.
every country has it's laws, for immigrations, for driving a vehicle on public roads, for starting a business aso aso, just for everything. the DR has that, too. if somebody plans to leave his/her homecountry for what ever reason and start over again in a foreign country, that person should first check out what is present/fact/needed/required at what other country, and then decide where to go, but to go to somewhere without a clue about what to expect and cry afterwards b/c present rules/laws/behaviors do not suit the own likings, that's the most stu and uneducated thing i could think about.
and as a remark from my own 14 years of experience with my own busniness here in the DR, things changed a lot since back in the day when i started here, but they always been clear, and compared to so many other countries where i spent times prior to my arrival including 6 years in the US i know that things are much easier and clearer to handle/run/start over here than in other places.
the people who always have probs are the ones coming over with the big idea that sun/clean air/and white beaches are enough for a living in paradise, then they find out that their big homemade education is not worth more than to get a simple low level job which pays 300-400 US$ and often much less per month, so most can not even afford to get a residency, drivers license, pay med insurance, build a house aso aso, and for their own failure they start to blame the gubmin or the non educated dominican people. hey, those 'non educated' people find their meal every day and can afford their legal papers, and they do it according to the law. who doesn't like that, just jump on that truck or better, don't come over here in the first place.

By the way another reason, I would like to get my residency at least underway, is that I am looking into starting a business hopefully in about 6 months, and I realize that there are added protection etc. with having residency.

i would not even consider to start a own busines without beeing a legal resident of the country where i want to start/operate my business.

Perhaps he was wearing shorts?

;)

L V

short and clear,
that answer is one of the best since a while, ha ha.

Mike

Last edited:

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
I translated this article to english and it says that if you do NOT meet the qualifications for residency you will be repatriated

Here is the english version....Thank God Mine is in the proceess just in case

Illegal aliens are removed in the DR
Written by: Diogenes For Tejada
El Nacional
LAS AMERICAS AIRPORT .- The General Director of Migration warned today that all foreigners living illegally in the country and do not satisfy the requirements to obtain a residence Dominican, will be repatriated.

What determines who is living here illegally?

When you overstay your tourist visa you pay a fine was what I have read.

Have the laws changed or were they not inforced?

I haven't seen any responses to this post. What is the criteria for living legally or "What determines who is living here illegally"?
Does a person living in the DR for a maximum of 6 months need residency?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
good question.
i would guess,
but that's just my actual thought reading the Q right now right here and don't know how it's written as a law or such, i would guess that somebody who comes over for a visit for more time than the visitors visa allows, living at a hotel or even privately rented place, counts as a visitor who overdid his visitors visa, pays the fine on departure and all is good. of course such person has a valid med insurance and such for t5he full time period of his stay, just in case something comnes up.
somebody who "lives" here i would name a person who purchases stuff like i.e. a scooter/motorbike/car, works in the country/opens bank accounts here aso.
i don't know how the law differs such, if it does.
on the other hand:
the fine published for overstaying a turist visa did never in no word say that it is legal to overstay the timeframe allowed by the turist visa, it just says how much of a fine you have to pay when overstaying, it says in no word that it is legal to overstay the 30 days turist visa, otherwise there could be no fine, and it neither says that there are no other consecuences like deportation or such involved when overstaying a turist visa.

as a basic i would say a visitor with a guilty return ticket(required by law to be allowed to enter customs in the first place) who's backflight date is dated further than the allowance time on the turist visa, is a long term visitor, not an illegal immigrant. what i don't know is for how much time in advance such a return ticket would be allowed to be valid.
hey, don't start to tell me people can come in with a return ticket and once here they sell it and could purchase an other for a more extended time period or such, i know myself that such is done often, but to enter the country and sell your return ticket without notifying the immigrations office about that would be illegal itself, b/c every visitor needs to inform immigrations about any change of his/her status and update new occurances(change of exit date aso).
Mike

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You asked why, well maybe this is the answer:

Al respecto, anunci? que se intensificar?n las redadas en todo el pa?s; las cuales abarcan no s?lo a los haitianos, sino tambi?n chinos, franceses, canadienses, cubanos, colombianos, ecuatorianos, peruanos e italianos. Muchos de ellos mantienen procesos judiciales pendientes en sus pa?ses de origen.

Plus this:

Tambi?n instruy? a las agencias de viajes a no vender boletos a extranjeros ilegales, y a las l?neas a?reas a que les impidan abordar sus vuelos; bajo penas de multas.

In a nutshell, they already have their eyes on some Chinese, French, Canadians, Cubans, Colombians, Ecuadorians, Peruvians, and Italians and all travel agencies will be prohibited from selling airline tickets to any illegal foreigners. Also, all airlines serving the DR will be obligated to not allow illegal foreigners board any outbound airplane, and if they do, the airlines faces some hefty fines.

Folks, get your act together or face the consequences. If you're illegal, you might just be stuck until you're found and deported. If you have legal issues in your home country, just get out of the DR. Judging by the article, it seems people with problems at home will get priority shipping.

So much for the Dominican deportations affect only Haitians while non-Haitian foreigners are safe due to white privilege, the right of the dollar, blah blah... myth. :cheeky:

Rep?blica Dominicana expulsar? a extranjeros ilegales

-NALs

Last edited: