Now we really need residency

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
In 07 I stayed for four months and payed the fine at the airport. Last year stayed two months and payed the fine. This year I may stay for six months. Will I still just pay a fine or will I face some sort of inquisition from the authorities, if so it's residency for me.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In 07 I stayed for four months and payed the fine at the airport. Last year stayed two months and payed the fine. This year I may stay for six months. Will I still just pay a fine or will I face some sort of inquisition from the authorities, if so it's residency for me.
Just get the residency, because as of now you may not be allowed to board an outbound airplane (unless the airlines are willing to run the risk of paying fines that can quickly add up), this judging from the article in my previous post prior to yours.

-NALs

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Just get the residency, because as of now you may not be allowed to board an outbound airplane (unless the airlines are willing to run the risk of paying fines that can quickly add up), this judging from the article in my previous post prior to yours.

-NALs

Are you saying everyone who overstayed their original tourist card is here illegally and if so why the fines?.....is there a new law ....where is this written?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
right on Nals,
and as a matter of fact the biggest number of deportees from here to the outside are anyways people 'wanted' by their country of origin.
and yes, we are happy about each single one of them who get's detected, loaded on that truck, kicked on a plane and shipped to where he/she belongs.
that kind of trash exists everywhere on the planet,
that trash also comes over here to have fun in the sun, mostly b/c they think over here we are too stupid to find out about 'em or to find their lil hideaway.
why Interpool has more than a dozen steadily in st dgo stationed investigators?
why nearly every western european country has steadily here stationed investigators?
of course b/c they know how easy it has been to enter dominican soil during the last decades and how easy it has been to dive in dominican life and disappear for the home authorities.
but the last years such changed,
our paradise is well known as the hideout for many during the last decades,
let's get rid of that trash.
Mike

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Lower end of society or trouble makers? Well, that depends on the person.

But as far as being a criminal, all one has to do is brake the law. Many people think that a criminal is someone that does something "real bad" like murder or theft, but in reality what makes those acts criminal (and the people that commit them) is them braking the law.

A criminal offense is not the same as a moral "offense."

If the DR tourism heavily depended on foreign residents, then yes; what you claim could be true.

But, the problem is that Dominican tourism depends on about 4 million tourists, the bulk of whom stay in all inclusive resorts and leave when their package ends.

This could be a problem for a place like Sos?a, but Sos?a (or Boca Chica) are not the main tourist centers of the country. Its one of the main ones, but thats well below Puerto Plata (all inclusive Playa Dorada being king) and B?varo (another all inclusive heaven). Everywhere else is pocket change in comparison.

The people in charge of the tourist department know that, as well as immigration.

-NALs

When you don't stop your car at a STOP, at a red light you brake the law. You are not a criminal though

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

-NALs

The chief of police or general or whatsoever forgot or does not even know about the prorroga

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Are you saying everyone who overstayed their original tourist card is here illegally and if so why the fines?.....is there a new law ....where is this written?

i guess where is a fine been a rule/law violation,
or there would not be a fine.
that something not been enforced to the limit for a while doesn't mean it is without risk to do a violation.
but i totally agree on one point,
for the people who often visit for extended time periods/several months, some do such since years, for them we still need the answer on:
do they need the residency
or how is the definition on 'who is a lillegal immigrant' and who is just a long term visitor?

at this point the authorities are absolutely not looking for people who overstayed their turist visa by some weeks or by some months, they look for people which been prior located/picked out of the crowd and decided that they are not worth to leave them in the country.
keep one thing in mind:
as long as you are not living in the center of a huge city the authorities have you as the new gringo on file, they know you are here, they know how you make your living, to check your legal status is a pievce of cake, at the moment you are in any way for any reason unconvenient a non-legal-immigration status is simply enough legal proof to get rid of ya without the need to bring you in front of a judge for anything else.
Mike

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
and as a matter of fact the biggest number of deportees from here to the outside are anyways people 'wanted' by their ountry of origin.
and yes, we are happy about each single one of them who get's detected, loaded on that truck, kicked on a plane and shipped to where he/she belongs.
that kind of trash exists everywhere on the planet,
that trash also comes over here to have fun in the sun, mostly b/c they think over here we are too stupid to find out about 'em or to find their lil hideaway.
why Interpool has more than a dozen steadily in st dgo stationed investigators?
why nearly every western european country has steadily here stationed investigators?

Well you are correct, and I know personally that not only does Western European country have investigators so does the US Justice department, many more than you would ever believe.

As far as deportees are concerned that is only fair, after all, the last few months how many Dominicans have been deported back to DR from the US, the DR should act in kind. It should be a two way street. After all if you break the law you have forfeited your rights and privileges, until you pay your debt to society. After you have paid them however you should be cool, you shouldn't continue to be looked down upon or punished any longer. But running to another country shouldn't shield you from your obligation to society.

Feb 7, 2007
But as far as being a criminal, all one has to do is brake the law. Many people think that a criminal is someone that does something "real bad" like murder or theft, but in reality what makes those acts criminal (and the people that commit them) is them braking the law.

Get your act straight. You're incorrect.

There is a difference in "offenses" and only the most serious ones are considered criminal offenses.

It goes like this - 1) Offense/Infraction 2) Misdemeanor 3) Felony/Criminal Offense

Even in Europe, if you steal something for under 100 Euros I think, it's just an infraction and you get away with a raised point finger and "no no no". You don't even go to a court.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
??????

Did not that Ukrainian journalist with the dry wit get repatriated under the rouse that she had overstayed her visitor visa?
I know she pxxsed some people off - but was the technical reason for her deportation the visa issue?

I am being lazy and have not the time to go back and read the whole thread again.

In my country a parking fine is a different legal situation than theft. If you do not pay the parking fine then you are in trouble as though you were a thief.
We also have civil and criminal cases.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
for the people who often visit for extended time periods/several months, some do such since years, for them we still need the answer on:
do they need the residency
or how is the definition on 'who is a lillegal immigrant' and who is just a long term visitor?

Anyone with an about-to-expire tourist visa has always been able to go to Migracion and renew it before it expires - it has been this way for years. Most do not bother, they pay the taxes at the airport on departure. I doubt if the facility for renewing in advance of departure has been withdrawn, but if there are people who really want an answer to this question, my guess is that they had better post it in the legal forum. Dr. Guzman will know the up to date position. There wouldn't be any point in asking the long term expats because we're all covered by residency.

And in any event we're used to moving goalposts, getting different answers depending on who you ask and all the other features which make this country an interesting place in which to live :) .

Yes I mean the US Consulate, my spanish wasn't the best in the world at that time, we were lined up outside on Maximo Gomez, I explained to the screener what info I was looking for, he told me I didn't need to go inside and tried to explain that I was in the wrong place said something about Juntos and handed me some forms to fill out and sent me on my way.

That's a bit different from not being allowed to speak to anyone. Sounds like you were in the lineup of Dominicans applying for US visas. And of course you don't apply for Dominican residency at the US Embassy :cheeky: so the screener was right.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
That's a bit different from not being allowed to speak to anyone. Sounds like you were in the lineup of Dominicans applying for US visas. And of course you don't apply for Dominican residency at the US Embassy :cheeky: so the screener was right.

Yes thanks again, he was right looking back at it now, that is probably exactly the line I was in, and if I had known a little bit more Spanish, I am sure I wouldn't have gotten into that line. The only strange thing about it was that before I got in any line, I tried to go in the front door, was stopped by the same gentleman, I explained what I was looking to do in my best Spanish at the time, and he basically just told me to get in the back of the line. When my spot got near the front he again came to me, once again I explained as best I could, and he told me to wait and handed my forms and sent me on my way.

Not being critical of the US consulate office down in Santo Domingo, and seeing as you have indicated that the majority of people there were Dominicans looking for US visas, so speaking Spanish would definitely be an asset, but wouldn't it make some sense to have a person near the entrance that could speak English?

Just in case a confused gringo like myself, had a question, and needed some advice. I found it at the time very disheartening to go to the US consulate, stand in line for over an hour in the hot sun, and then not even be allowed to speak to someone in English. Mind you before going to the consulate, I was directed by somebody else to go to the Embassy (a few blocks away), which I did and of course that was a waste, as they wouldn't let me in there and just directed me to the Consulate. That experience in and of itself, showed me the need to learn the language. Which I already knew, but again it was further crystallized in that instance.

Before anyone asks yes I am much better in the language and basically can say whatever I want to say, for the most part even in the proper tenses. However I am still finding difficulty in comprehending when others speak to me. Don't know if it is because I find it to rapid to follow at my current level, or if the words and phrases often are colloquialism's and therefore confusing. But I am working at it and I am improving everyday. I have taken courses sponsored by the University and I am currently enrolled, but to speed up the process, I am contemplating taking some private lessons; all the instructors tell me all I have to do is practice, because I am not that far away.

Hopefully they are right.

Last edited:

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Getting your residency is not hard or very time consuming. It also avoids lots of potential hassles (insurance, drivers lic, bank accounts, working, etc.).

We used a lawyer (as have many of or friends and clients) in Santiago that will hold your had the whole way, go with you to SD to fill out the paperwork, med exam and all. She actually gets it done much faster and much cheaper then most of the big lawyers around. Last time i checked for a friend her cost was $800 US per person.

Feel free to PM me for her details.

Bob K

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Getting your residency is not hard or very time consuming. It also avoids lots of potential hassles (insurance, drivers lic, bank accounts, working, etc.).....

I agree. I used a lawyer for the original temporary residency and after a year used the same lawyer for the residencia definitiva.

The residencia definitiva must be renewed every two years. I renewed mine last summer at migracion in Santo Domingo without a lawyer. It took less than an hour.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
naaah
Mariposacita,
do ya really think he forgot about such or does not even know about such?
i don't think the people who write for him what he has to say in public are such nutshells.
Mike

I'm glad he knows about it since it means he knows that the people that obtain the prorroga on time (before the end of the tourist card) are not illegal in the D.R. Those that think that the only way to be legal in the D.R. is by getting the residency are wrong. Let's not talk about the legality for driving which is another story, let's talk only about the legality of being in the D.R.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Anyone with an about-to-expire tourist visa has always been able to go to Migracion and renew it before it expires - it has been this way for years. Most do not bother, they pay the taxes at the airport on departure. I doubt if the facility for renewing in advance of departure has been withdrawn, but if there are people who really want an answer to this question, my guess is that they had better post it in the legal forum. Dr. Guzman will know the up to date position. There wouldn't be any point in asking the long term expats because we're all covered by residency.

And in any event we're used to moving goalposts, getting different answers depending on who you ask and all the other features which make this country an interesting place in which to live :) .

That is exactly what my husband and I have done every year during 10 years. Before the end of our tourist cards, (90 days, 15 days, 30 days, yes it changed a lot), the first 2 years we went personally to the Migration office in Santo Domingo to obtain the prorroga, 5 minutes and we had it.

After the first 2 years, we just gave our passports, tourist cards and a note saying for how long we wanted the prorroga to a good friend of us, who was going to Santo Domingo, and bingo. Our friend told us he never had problem to obtain it.

If it has been withdrawn it is very new (2009), I doubt it happened though

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
As far as deportees are concerned that is only fair, after all, the last few months how many Dominicans have been deported back to DR from the US, the DR should act in kind. It should be a two way street.

it would be logical then for DR (and all other countries that require US visa) to implement the policy of visa-only entry for all american citizens... :cheeky:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
it would be logical then for DR (and all other countries that require US visa) to implement the policy of visa-only entry for all american citizens... :cheeky:

I thought they kinda did already.
It is a tourist visa that you buy when you enter the country.
It feels automatic, but you still have to buy one.
I do not believe it is an unalienable right, so to speak.

Having said that, on market days at Dajabon, I just left my passport in the car and wandered across and back probably 20 times in the average day sorting stuff out.
A smile and a wave was all it took once they realised the crazy Gringo was not up to no good.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I assume from the emoticon dv8, that your post was "tongue in cheek".

Yayow; The DR has no choice but to make entry for tourists as easy as possible, and the US, Canada and most European countries have no real choice but to make it difficult, especially for those coming from 3rd world countries. However, there are hundreds of thousands of Dominicans living illegally in the US who will continue to do so as long as they are not cought for criminal activities. I am all for repatriation of expat criminals in the DR. I also believe those who have decided to live in the DR full time should obtain residency. However, there are a lot of otherwise law abiding expats who are on the fence and living in the DR part time or on a trial basis, and the idea of deporting them for overstaying their tourist visa really makes no sense. I don't see it happening.