Oh you will love this.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
my general feeling is that someone who can afford a car that costs 50-100 thousand dollars can also fork out the tax. if not, he is an idiot and CANNOT afford the car he drives. don't have a car you cannot afford to drive in terms of taxes, petrol usage, insurance and maintenance. simple as that.

It's the element of surprise that gets me all the time.

I was expecting to pay RD$2000 until I had a coffee this morning.
One sip and a few click after.
Bam!
I had to pay extra $6000+

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
It's the element of surprise that gets me all the time.

I was expecting to pay RD$2000 until I had a coffee this morning.

But why $2,000? Up until now, taxes where 2,400 for 5 years or newer cars and 1,200 for cars older than 5 years...
As dv8 said, if someone drives a RD$ 1,000,000 car, he or she should be able to afford a RD$ 10,000 tax. No biggie....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
my general feeling is that someone who can afford a car that costs 50-100 thousand dollars can also fork out the tax. if not, he is an idiot and CANNOT afford the car he drives. don't have a car you cannot afford to drive in terms of taxes, petrol usage, insurance and maintenance. simple as that.

why is it that you just have this wondrous penchant for logic?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Sounds fair to me. I just looked at the price table they provide, and it seems to be spot on. 1% of the value of the vehicle seems to be a fair tax.
Maybe to you!!! Please define fair? The same vehicle i owned last year just had a marbete price increase of 350%. What world is that fair, Obama's world of new taxes maybe!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
If Im not mistaken, when having a corporation own your vehicle, you must pay it as a yearly asset, 1% of the value. When its personal in your name you don't pay this! Now it looks like they found a way to impose this 1% on the personal vehicle owners and an additional 1% to business owned vehicles! Excellent move. Rich nation rich people no problem!

More taxes=Less disposable Income=Increased Crime! The fake Marbete sales should increase drastically

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Maybe to you!!! Please define fair? The same vehicle i owned last year just had a marbete price increase of 350%. What world is that fair, Obama's world of new taxes maybe!

I think it's fair because the tax you paid last year was ridiculous. a US$30 or even $60 tax for a year is just stupid, IMO...
On the other hand, those driving Ferraris and Rolls Royces where paying the same tax as a concho owner. I think it's fair that those driving expensive cars pay a rational tax. And a minimum tax of 1,200 for a year is still too low, I think.

I got an over 300% increase myself. I still think it's fair.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
I think it's fair because the tax you paid last year was ridiculous. a US$30 or even $60 tax for a year is just stupid, IMO...
On the other hand, those driving Ferraris and Rolls Royces where paying the same tax as a concho owner. I think it's fair that those driving expensive cars pay a rational tax. And a minimum tax of 1,200 for a year is still too low, I think.

I got an over 300% increase myself. I still think it's fair.
Why is US$30-60 ridiculous? In Florida, it's about that (or was last time I paid it). In other states, it is very high I know also. But this tax to own a car in the DR.....where is this collected money supposed to go? Roads and bridges? Right.....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

maybe last year was ridiculously low, and the increase brings it into touch with reality

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Sucks to be me....

So there will be extra payment $8893 coming up next month? Insurance payment is coming up so I guess I am due to pay this amount as well? All of our birthdays, insurance, tuition and this. It seems like they just want to kill me on summer months. I can't wait until September.
Not next month, Normally you have till november to pay the tax.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Correct me if Im wrong here. This is the price for the annual "Marbete" sticker??? As for taxes on the vehicle, yes I paid it when I bought it, done! Its a personal vehicle not company, so why should there be an annual tax just to drive it, I already have to pay 45,000 dop for decent insurance. In your home country do you pay an annual ongoing tax to drive your car when its not for business? I didnt!. The marbete in my opinion was always just another tax grab anyway, which now has inflated (in my case) 350%. Do I drive a gas gussling Ferrari, no. Its a KIA Sportage 4 cyl for ****s sake!

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Why is US$30-60 ridiculous? In Florida, it's about that (or was last time I paid it). In other states, it is very high I know also. But this tax to own a car in the DR.....where is this collected money supposed to go? Roads and bridges? Right.....

That's another story. And I agree we should be concerned about it. But one thing is for sure, if we ever want to keep hope that things are done better, we need to pay a fair tax.
The cost of owning a car in the DR is low. You don't have to take emissions tests, so most owners don't even bother to repair emission related issues (and it shows). "Revista" is a joke: you don't even have to replace burn out light bulbs if you don't feel like it. I find insurance ("de ley")under $100 a year (for as many drivers as you want) to be low, too.
We can't be cheap on vehicle owning fees and taxes and then demand first-world traffic service. I know we won't get world-class stuff just because they are raising the tax, but at least now we can rant with a cause :nervous:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That's another story. And I agree we should be concerned about it. But one thing is for sure, if we ever want to keep hope that things are done better, we need to pay a fair tax.
The cost of owning a car in the DR is low. You don't have to take emissions tests, so most owners don't even bother to repair emission related issues (and it shows). "Revista" is a joke: you don't even have to replace burn out light bulbs if you don't feel like it. I find insurance ("de ley")under $100 a year (for as many drivers as you want) to be low, too.
We can't be cheap on vehicle owning fees and taxes and then demand first-world traffic service. I know we won't get world-class stuff just because they are raising the tax, but at least now we can rant with a cause :nervous:

to be fair, Castle, the liability insurance cost of 100 dollars ,or thereabouts, is fair, since you get absolutely nothing in return.
i had a guy hit my parked car, and i reported it to his insurance carrier. they did not even pay me the courtesy of notifying me of the proceedings. i just never heard from them again. in the USA, or any other 21st century country, they would have been bound by insurance law to send me written correspondence regarding the disposition of the case, within 30 days. in the DR, they just do as they please, because they answer to nobody. therefore, i would say it is worth about 50 pesos for the cost of the paper the policy is written on.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
to be fair, Castle, the liability insurance cost of 100 dollars ,or thereabouts, is fair, since you get absolutely nothing in return.

Yes, that's true. But the guy who hit you got away with his $2,000 insurance, as a "law abiding citizen". And that's my point, it's just too easy to get away with it while paying very little.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
It's all about balance... when you get POS service then low taxes are fair...

To be fair - roads have improved massively over the last 10 years.. maybe that is a reason to validate and pay the increased taxes?

We all know it's just another money grab anyways

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok, i understand that last year you paid, say, 1200 pesos for you car that is worth 20k dollars. now you will have to pay 8000 pesos. yes, it's a huge jump. but then you have a decent, comfortable car worth 20k that drives well. that means you have 8k to pay the tax, don't you?

expat13, kia sportage is one of the models we are looking at to buy for me. a bit older version, worth maybe 500k pesos, so 5k a year. we can pay that. if we could not we would not have sold my tiny honda capa (1200 tax).

as far as getting stuff back... i do not like the attitude of: gimme stuff and then i pay. this will never work. dominican government recently did lots of work on new roads. i expect more and better, this is why i pay my dues. yeah, call me idealist :(

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That was your mistake.

Even if somebody hits your parked car, you are required to file a police report and notify your insurance company. They take it from there.

Many times, your own insurance will foot the bill, just to avoid dealing with the other insurance company. That's the only good reason to have full coverage.

It's up to you to follow up with them. If you don't show any interest, they probably won't care too much either.

Why would you even mention the states?

your insurance carrier has no obligation to pursue the case in the event that you also only have liability insurance. i did file a police report, and notified my carrier, simply for the record. it is the duty of the adverse carrier, upon notification, to make a decision within 30 days, and to notify the complainant , in writing, about the nature of the decision, and its cause. they have to let me know why they are not paying my claim, or i can bring a bad faith action against them.