Older kids drinking baby bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Interesting..... The more posts in this thread the more I see it is fairly acceptable for kids to drink from a bottle.
I really did not think I would see so many people say they are familar with it.

Last edited:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
This reminds me of a piece I just saw about a new book written by a French woman living in NY (I think). Much of her point was Americans cater too much to their children. But the interesting part was the approach to food--how the kids eat what the parents eat, and they don't get to get "kids menu" items--actually they prefer not to have them as they are usually greasy, not flavorful items. As they've always eaten adult food (and good food at that) they develop a well-rounded palate.

Haven't read it, but here's the book.

Amazon.com: Bringing Up Bebe: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting (9781594203336): Pamela Druckerman: Books

Most restaurants in Europe will offer a kid's menu, and generally this consists for the major part of healthy stuff. Freshly made spagetti with meatsauce, a toasted ham and cheese sandwich, an omelet, meatballs in tomato sauce, fishfingers not fried but prepared in a skillet, etc... Of course some will also offer the fried food.

As far as I remember the States were a lot worse. Mind you, the last time I looked was about 8 years ago, so do not shoot me.

I have noticed the DR restaurants are certainly lacking in this

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Interesting..... The more posts in this thread the more I see it is fairly acceptable for kids to drink from a bottle.
I really did not think I would see so many people say they are familar with it.

I would say "sippy cups" are common in the US, and really there isn't that much difference between a bottle and a sippy cup.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
As far as I remember the States were a lot worse. Mind you, the last time I looked was about 8 years ago, so do not shoot me.
I have noticed the DR restaurants are certainly lacking in this

Fast food is tryng to clean up their act, so you'll see apples at McDonalds (which is just a token gesture, for sure). The average restaurant still seems to be the cheeseburger, grilled cheese, chicken strips and fries variety, IMO.

Often my son will eat off the "senior" menu, smaller portions, yet better choices.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
It's not just a Dominican phenomina...my sister in law from Colombia had 6 kids, all drank bottles until they were in school...and she used to give the baby leche con pepsi to get her to stop throwing trantrums... and all the kids had copious amounts of sugary candies and sugary cereal while they watched R rated horror movies before bedtime... when the kids would mis behave she would tell them chucky was coming to get them... parent of the year ? No... lack of education? yes

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
"OK",Chip,Here we go again!
It will rot/deform the teeth and gums.
"Pampers" are expensive,money could be used elsewhere.
REAL REASON,Dominican kids use a bottle,wear pampers,and suck their thumb?????
Because their parents don't teach them not to!
They don't put forth the effort needed to raise a self-reliant person.
YES,it takes both time,effort,and love to raise a child.
Here,the parent just threatens a "PaoPao" if the child doesn't stop doing something that bothers the parent.They don't take the effort needed to actually educate/train a child to do the right thing.
In the DR,if the children are "Not Seen And Not Heard",that's just the way their parents loke it.
"No Es MI Problema"!!!!
At 65,I would really rather just sit in "My Chair",and let my young children,"Self Destruct" around me,BUT,MY MOM,didn't raise me that way.I just "HAVE" to get up,and be a "PARENT",not just a father,that's easy,all that takes is one lucky sperm!
THAT,Dominicans CAN DO!
CC

Can I vote this "Post of the day"?? My sentiments exactly!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
YES,You MAY!
But I was thinking more along the lines og "Post-Of-The-Month"???????????????
Easy post to make,just "Observe",and "Report"!
Welcome to "Paradise"!
Cris Colon

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Keepcoming,

Do you do birthday parties?
9bfzww.gif

D in Santiago - Just kidding - lol

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Chip have you not much to do today??? Why is it when someone goes against what you believe your first reaction is to offend them and discount their believes. It is a forum my dear and everyone has the right to their likes and dislikes and you of all people should respect that. Besides isn't name calling a bit immature.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
YES,You MAY!
But I was thinking more along the lines og "Post-Of-The-Month"???????????????
Easy post to make,just "Observe",and "Report"!
Welcome to "Paradise"!
Cris Colon

Well because you asked so nicely, we can make it "Post of the year" really...it echoed what I had posted, based on my observations too as well as the opinion of other Dominicans...sad really that the kids pay the price.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip have you not much to do today??? Why is it when someone goes against what you believe your first reaction is to offend them and discount their believes. It is a forum my dear and everyone has the right to their likes and dislikes and you of all people should respect that. Besides isn't name calling a bit immature.

I can say the same thing that I have a right to disagree too.

BTW, I don't see you criticizing anybody else for calling others names and as far as names goes bozo is about as harmless as they come so lighten up. :)

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
okay, bottles, diapers, toilet training................what about pacifiers. what really buggs me is the child that is around 4 or 5 years old walking around with a pacifier in his or her mouth. only my humble opinion

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You guys getting so bent out of shape on this topic have me wondering if you are married to Dominicans. From my experience it is not a good thing to be espousing how aspects of one's own culture is better than the Dominican one - been there and done that. I learned early on that marriage takes compromise from both parties and for the sake of the marriage and kids sometimes one has to just let things go, ie it's better to save those "silver bullets" for more important issues.

In the specific case of drinking out of a bottle until they are 4 and worse it generally being a sweet beverage in nature I tried to convince my wife it wasn't good for their teeth. Heck even the kid's doctor and a dentist told her and she wouldn't stop. I just figured it was not worth it to take a stand on this issue and other similar one's only to have it destroy our marriage. I feel, therefore, that even though it is possible my kids might have more cavaties than normal that at least they will have mami and papi around in the same house so that seemed like a good tradeoff, after all cavities are an easy fix but broken hearts and longings for better and happier times are never the case. :)

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Chip I have been married to a " Dominican " probably longer than you knew what the DR was, 20 yrs my friend. Tack another 4 yrs for courtship and well you have 24 yrs that I have lived here. We do not all publicize it but yet yes there are some here. So guess what, been there done that..I however will never ever disregard someones opinion because at one time years ago I learned alot from " someone's " opinion. This forum helped me learn alot, especially those things that were " in-law related " and I am thankful. Do I agree with everything, NO but do I disrespect, NO, it is not my thing. Although I do not relate to some of your believes, I do not disrespect them because they are your believes. You should do the same for others. This is not a challenge of who knows what because some of us have you beat...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I respectfully ask the posters to please stop with the personal stuff.

It's ruining the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.