Older kids drinking baby bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
..... In the first year diapers are still allowed but kids are actively potty-trained at school, and it is strongly recommended the parents do the same. .....

Be potty trained?

Sorry, could nor resist............. lol

D in Santiago

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Not teaching a child basic life skills, such as using a cup or the toilet by a certain age is child abuse. You are basically handing your kid a learning disability by not giving them the tools to grow and learn.

In my 9 years living here in the DR I have never seen diapers or bottles being used by older kids, but thumb sucking seems common...

Child abuse???

PC at it's best.

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
Yes, child abuse..

If a parent is too lazy to teach their child how to use a cup and the potty, I can only imagine what other basic life skills the child will miss out on... It's setting the child up for disaster in life.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I believe my sister in-law continued to give my nephew the bottle because she was too lazy to set rules so to speak. My nephew when he was younger (now 12) was horrible when it came to meal time so she would just give in and let him have his bottle of sugared milk. My son was off the bottle at around 2 and that was his doing. One day he just decided he was too big for a bottle. The pamper thing though in my opinion by the age of 4 the child should be well into the toilet training process. Maybe a pull up at night but the " mess " a 4 year old can make in their pamper is alot different than 1-2 year old hence I would say if not for anything else for hygiene sake.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I house-train my dogs, and I assume everybody does that, so why on earth should I not toilet train my children???

I know from my daughter she loved not having to wear diapers (during the day) at the age of 2. Would you like to run around in stinking diapers?

She also loved to show off to the other kids by drinking from a cup.

But yes, it does take some effort on the parents side, and some cleaning-up when they have an accident. Then again, if, as a parent, you cannot bring yourself to make this effort, maybe you should have thought twice before having kids.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
depends on the meal... lol

soup... yes
spagetti... yes
rice... yes

seriously, it depends on the culture and the diet, and I know they use a spoon a lot over here. So, it probably is normal for kids to eat with a spoon here.

I cannot remember exactly, but I do think my daughter started to use a fork when she was 2, possibly 3. I would cut her meat and veggies up. She started using a knife at the age of 4, but only for cutting up the soft stuff.

Not so seriously... I see 4-year olds here running around (literally running) with daddy's machete (it scares the living **** out of me everytime I see it), so they should be able to use a normal fork and knife... lol

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I don't think it is very common to see 7 year olds in diapers in the DR. I would think that those might be cases of bed-wetters. That's a medical issue, and it would be perfectly normal to see that a bed wetter needs diapers at night, but not during the day.

In general, it's said that children in Western countries are potty training later, because the quality of diapers has improved. In fact, they've started making diapers for potty training that allow the child to feel the wet/mess. Once they feel it, they are more motivated to avoid the uncomfortableness. I got some flack from my son's sitter that he was not trained by 3, but at the same time he just wasn't ready. Had I hassled him about it, we'd have been at odds for months. Once he was ready, it was an easy process.

Don't know why child development becomes such a hot button topic. EVERYONE is sure they are better able to give advice on these issues, and knows that you are doing great harm to your child if you don't do XYZ. Through in another culture, and it only gets compounded.

Realistically, it's safe to say that some practicies (breastfeeding until 5-7 years old) is more about comfort (either to parent or child) as is bottle feeding at night for older children. There is a growing trend toward "infant potty training" among some. Because of the cost of diapers, I was committed to getting rid of them as soon as my son was ready, but that was on his time, not some number.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Glad to see the "OLD Chip" is back!
You really should stop thinking that you know EVERYTHING!
"You Don't"!
You have been presented with some facts,but continue to think you know better.
Anecdotal Information,doesn't change reality.
Get over yourself!
CC

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
The pamper thing though in my opinion by the age of 4 the child should be well into the toilet training process. Maybe a pull up at night but the " mess " a 4 year old can make in their pamper is alot different than 1-2 year old hence I would say if not for anything else for hygiene sake.

I still see cases of 4 and 5 year olds have accidents at school and not say anything. For the life of me, I can't imagine a child of 4 or 5 not feeling uncomfortable sitting in a mess. I would think that small Dominicans who are used to being clean, would also begin "self-training" by a certain age.

But then again, I recall conversations with parents who expected that someone would wipe their child after using the toilet, as that's what was done at home. These certainly are cultural differences, and in general, it does the immigrant child no good to not prepare them for the world as it is around them. Often, the age children enter school and/or daycare dictates what that culture feels is appropriate. If it's just you at home, doesn't really bother me what you do. It does matter when the child has to go out in the world, and possibly be ridiculed for what they can or can't do.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
I have seen alot of older children with bottles usually with a hge hole bitten of the teet, even a 2 year old shouldnt be drinking from a bottle but here i have seen children as old as 6 or 7, another big thing seems to be spoon feeding children there food who are clearly old enough to do it themselves.

I remember when my daughter was 11 months old and feeding herslef from her bowl in her high chair and two women from the family tut-tutting sugesting i was a terrible mother...poor lamb! Then they left with their toddlers hanging on for dear life on the back of a scooter so all i could do was laugh to myself.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Glad to see the "OLD Chip" is back!
You really should stop thinking that you know EVERYTHING!
"You Don't"!
You have been presented with some facts,but continue to think you know better.
Anecdotal Information,doesn't change reality.
Get over yourself!
CC

It's all about me because I disagree with you. Oh brother.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I do not think that I have ever seen a 4+ yr old in diapers. I am thinking that some children that have a " accident " at school may not say something out of embarrassment. I agree with you La Rubia about the parents expecting someone wipe their child after using the toilet. I do not know how many times I have been at the in-laws and one of the kids (5 yr or so) come out of the bathroom and say " ven limpia me " (sp?). As a parent you want to see your child progress. The preschool my son went to would not accept children that were not somewhat potty trained. Of course there are accidents but no child was still in a diaper. Plus kids can be cruel to one another and I would not want to be the cause of that for my child just because I was too lazy to help my child develop. This is my opinion. Everyone has the right to decide what is best for them but as parents we are responsible for the development of our children.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
depends on the meal... lol

soup... yes
spagetti... yes
rice... yes

seriously, it depends on the culture and the diet, and I know they use a spoon a lot over here. So, it probably is normal for kids to eat with a spoon here.

I cannot remember exactly, but I do think my daughter started to use a fork when she was 2, possibly 3. I would cut her meat and veggies up. She started using a knife at the age of 4, but only for cutting up the soft stuff.

Not so seriously... I see 4-year olds here running around (literally running) with daddy's machete (it scares the living **** out of me everytime I see it), so they should be able to use a normal fork and knife... lol

2 and a few months and we both were thinking, when is she going to ask to use chop sticks :classic:
Eating with a spoon is also a cultural thing, in Thailand you eat everything with a spoon, no fork, no knife.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Let me "TRY" to explain what "Anecdotal Information" means Chip,since knowing that is essencial to understanding,why,"It Is ALWAYS About You"!
Just because you experiance an event in your life,doesn't mean you can extrapolate that experience as being the "Norm"!
I doubt you can grasp that concept either,so let me try yet again.
I say that excessive drinking during pregnancy can cause lowered birthweight and "Fetal Alcohol Syndrom".
The VAST majority of educated adults will agree with me.
You,will use your personal experience,although different,to validate your experience as the "Norm",IT ISN"T!
You might say,"My mother drank a fifth of vodka everyday when she was pregnant with me.She smoked two packs of unfiltered cigarettes,and ate only french fries and Dunkin Donuts at that time, and look how I turned out"!!!!
THAT,my young friend,is "Anecdotal Information"
To paraphrase a common,"Old Saying",
Anecdotes are like A$$holes,everybody has one,and they all "STINK"!CC

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
oh well... thanks DR1, for once I forgot to copy before I posted... damn...

OK, here we go again...

Do not go overboard in educating your children. I made thayt mistake. I toilet-trained my daughter, I thaught her to drink from a cup, and I learned her about good food. That last mistake costed me all the money I had saved on diapers and babyfood. She learned to enjoy the good stuff like fresh white asparagus, brocoli, endives, lobster, filet mignon, etc...

Raise your children with the healthy, and CHEAP stuff like peas, carrots, mero.

I noticed my brother made the same mistake I did, when I took his family out to dinner and his 6-year old son ordered the most expensive steak in the house. Mind you, to give the little brat credit, he ate and enjoyed it all.

No need to overdo it. Let them discover the expensive stuff, when they can afford to pay for it themselves!!!

Some good advice by a parent who learnt the hard way... whoehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Child abuse???

PC at it's best.
Evidently PC is now defined as anything Chip disagrees with.
I would have thought that "PC" would be more aptly applied to a laissez-faire, dippy hippy approach to childcare - let the precious little free spirits make their own choices about when to stop wearing nappies/drinking from a bottle when they're ready, than the old school, uptight, commonsense way of doing things. :D
My personal experience is that I haven't seen any instances of late toilet training here in the DR. Disposables have made it easier to delay it, but that's happened everywhere. In the pre-disposable days people like my mother-in-law and older sisters in law tended to toilet train their toddlers at around the age of one, which is earlier than most people would be comfortable with these days.

gringostudent

Jun 20, 2005
There seem to be some on this thread thinking that taking a baby bottle until age 6 or so isnt a bad idea. Actually it is, from at least a medical standpoint. Childrens speech is developed by eating solid food. Bottle feeding for too long leads to tooth decay, and most races of people lose the ability to digest lactose at least partially after age 2 or so. Ive seen lots of older kids still bottle feeding in the DR, not so many with diapers. Research has shown that children become potty trained eventually by about the same age wether taught by their parents or not. letting your kid bottle feed till 6 = A. Lazy or B. no education or C. a little from column A and a little from column B

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Do not go overboard in educating your children. I made thayt mistake. I toilet-trained my daughter, I thaught her to drink from a cup, and I learned her about good food. That last mistake costed me all the money I had saved on diapers and babyfood. She learned to enjoy the good stuff like fresh white asparagus, brocoli, endives, lobster, filet mignon, etc...

Raise your children with the healthy, and CHEAP stuff like peas, carrots, mero.

I noticed my brother made the same mistake I did, when I took his family out to dinner and his 6-year old son ordered the most expensive steak in the house. Mind you, to give the little brat credit, he ate and enjoyed it all.

No need to overdo it. Let them discover the expensive stuff, when they can afford to pay for it themselves!!!

This reminds me of a piece I just saw about a new book written by a French woman living in NY (I think). Much of her point was Americans cater too much to their children. But the interesting part was the approach to food--how the kids eat what the parents eat, and they don't get to get "kids menu" items--actually they prefer not to have them as they are usually greasy, not flavorful items. As they've always eaten adult food (and good food at that) they develop a well-rounded palate.

Haven't read it, but here's the book.

Amazon.com: Bringing Up Bebe: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting (9781594203336): Pamela Druckerman: Books

Status
Not open for further replies.