Open your eyes expat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I was raised in the South Bronx so the violence and crime doesn't bother me. When I was coming of age it was the pinnacle of the crack war in New York City. There were 1,000 to 2,200 killed a year during those times so nothing suprises me.

:surprised:surprised:surprised:surprised:surprised

Same here!!!!!!!!

Brugalogy32

Apr 13, 2010
Cool man I lived on Kelly Street for a while then we moved to Union Avenue. It's actually nicer there now. They are building houses and nice apartment buildings. It's still sketchy but it looks alot better.

Mar 2, 2008
PeterInBrat, I think Eddy gave the best description I have seen as yet. It appears to have been yet another revenge killing, which seem to be quite common in the DR.

It is not quite as simple as "less food for the rats" hypothesis, although I'm sure that is one factor. Revenge killings have a long and brutal history in the DR, and go way back beyond the Trujillo years.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
...A high number of the Dominicans deported are from the drug trade. Also, just the "Dominicayorks" visiting over there bring what they learn on the street to easily influenced youths of the Dominican Republic who have embraced the hiphop-reggaeton culture. While rythmic and fun to dance to, it also sends the wrong message to someone who cannot seperate fact from fiction....

Sadly, so very true. The 50cents syndrome. It has evolved in just the few years I have been living here. The idolization of pimping and eventually drug trafficking and "sweep-gunning" a la Portoriqueno for fun and to show cojones. Luckily, still most are not very professional or organized yet (when compared to whom they look up to), but that won't last either.
The problem is, that the institutions which are designed to fight this sort of problems does not set a very good example either.
I see some "kids" who only dressed up like "clowns" (baggy pants bellow their a$$, 100 Dollar sneakers, night gown sized T-shirt and branded Mikey Mouse "base ball" cap.) a few years ago and now are well on track to either kill someone (even thou that may not be their plan really) or be killed by their already more hardened "peers" in the process.

It's not just Sosua, but the apparent chances of "easy" money, even if only being on the take of what the girls make, certainly attracts what CobraBoy so fittingly labeled as RATS to such locations.
Short, beware whom you befriend in locations like these.

... J-D.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I was raised in the South Bronx so the violence and crime doesn't bother me. When I was coming of age it was the pinnacle of the crack war in New York City.

:surprised:surprised:surprised:surprised:surprised

Same here!!!!!!!!

I grew up in Chicago and now live in Canada, where the crime rate has escalated in recent years... All you read about in the paper is another stabbing or robbery ... Then there's the gangs...My 14 year old son was gang beat at the bus stop in our suburban neighborhood last month and the same thing happened last summer in our neighborhood park. My son just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time...Violence and crime happens everywhere, even middle class suburban areas..... But I will say that I've felt safer in Puerto Plata then I did on vacation in Daytona and there's parts of South Central Chicago where I will not even go...

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
With all due respect Whirleybird, I, a dog lover and owner, would never think to advocate that people "foster" a dog while on vacation in the DR. First of all, if someone is only there for a short period, the happiness and well-being of the dog will certainly not be high on that person's list of priorities if they are basically "renting a guard dog" for while they are there.

There is a big difference between people offering a dog a foster home until a permanent home is found and offering a temporary foster home while on vacation and then returning the dog to the shelter. What an awful life!

Imagine if a dog were to be tossed around from tourist to tourist over the course of several years - I cannot imagine in the least how this would be better for the dog than staying at the shelter for longer until either a long-term foster home or a permanent home was available. Also, while many may be responsible and turn the dog in when they are ready to leave, many others may simple turn the dog out on the street instead of back to the shelter. How can this possibly be a good outcome?

I was saddened to think the shelter has been doing this.

To the OP - I think there are better ways to stay safe while in the DR than borrowing a dog for your stay. In any country, it's always best to listen to those with experience as to where and where not to go.

I appreciate your concern FM but can assure you that the welfare of the dogs is of the utmost importance to everyone involved with Asociaci?n De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sos?a, Inc.

As you will see from what was posted in this thread: http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-coast/102186-judys-pet-place.html - the rather unusual option of temporarily fostering a pet here does work and it gives some respite to the dog to be welcomed and cared for by a 'family' if only for a short time... Judy's Pet Lodge is NOT a shelter and has no funding to directly cope with homeless animals but, in the great scheme of things, some wondrous works do take place.

I believe this post, as a few others now in this thread are maybe severely off topic and therefore it may well be best to take this discussion to a new thread if the moderators see fit.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
For the past 48 hours the crime report count of four murdered in different events at Sosua town, no one is related to the tourist area but for those of you guys who like to visit the Dominican side of the paradise, be very careful where you go and with who you mix.
SE esta jugando una pelota caliente en Sosua..

Watch out.

JJ

JJ...are you saying 4 expats have been klilled in the last 48 hours in Sosua?

EDIT: ok, I guess I read it wrong...you're saying 4 people have been murdered outside of the tourist area of Sosua...

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
I disagree with the OP.
Sorry bachata but I can't believe with a name like bachata you would say,
"NEVER GO TO LOS CHARAMICOS...."
That is like an all-inclusive saying, "Never go out of the hotel..."
Pedro Clisante is no safer.
It is like has been posted many times, problems are usually revenge or due to a person asking for it.
99% of the time if you are cool and keep to yourself no one bothers you.
I love Charamicos !
Way safer than any major city in the U.S.A.....way safer !

bayman

Jan 23, 2010
I am hearing reports of a Canadian with apartment in Trade Winds being robbed from his safe of $$$$$.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Where did you get the information about the amount of murders in Sosua? Just curious.
Like I said all the crimes are different events, (time & place) and there is no relation between...
I'm very well informed of what is going on in DR as I stay connected all day listening and watching news TV & radios shows online .
Remember I'm Dominican and this people speaks my language if you are an expat it will be hard for you to understand what they say...

JJ

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
I disagree with the OP.
It is like has been posted many times, problems are usually revenge or due to a person asking for it.
I love Charamicos !

I wouldn't go in Charamicos after dark

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I would also not see it as necessary to hang around Charamicos at night... neither in some off-action alleys of El Batey around closing time. Charamicos has had some added problems because of drug trafficking out of the old El Tablon which was torn down over a year ago. But lets not forget that what's going on on La Piedra still generates about the same mess. Even the police are not to fond of going in there without their vests on after dusk. It so seems, that it's been the cool thing to do to shoot at them from homes, just for "fun", but then, knowing some of the police here...

I disagree with the OP.
I love Charamicos !

While I too think that saying "NEVER go to Charamicos" may be a little over board, I really seem to fail to see the attractives of going there, besides for accessing the few shore front developments. Likewise Sosua 'bajo and La Maranata may be visited during daylight with limited risks even if it only may be the exposure to locals getting into fights over something unrelated to the visitor. But I would also advise against unneeded visits there after dusk to any of these locations.

Charamicos way safer than ANY major city in the US? Well well... to every one it's little "going over board" statement, I guess... Free speech etc... right? :cheeky: Naw, seriously, EVERY major city in the US? :bunny:

... J-D.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
JJ, there was the one last Saturday, Omar on Tuesday and Gerardo Benito on Wednesday. I make that 3 in 120 hours. Which one did I miss?

Well there was one that seemed to fly beneath the radar.
A gringo killed his wife after he caught her in bed with another girl, last week.
Nothing in print so I didn't like to say anything on DR1.
I know the deceased's sister, Betty.

Mar 2, 2008
Pedro,
That certainly did fly under the radar, and I usually hear "something" about those type of things, at least as partially matured gossip, if you know what I mean. But I never heard a peep about that one.

Where did it happen?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Don

Why do I have to "wake up"?

I never said it happened in Santiago. What shocked me was how demented these young kids are.

I know there is crime and a lot of killing here in certain areas, but stuff like this, killing for sport, seemed a rare thing.
Because it is getting VERY bad here.

Much worse then the States, don't listen to those that are always saying,
Crime happens everywhere and that they have not been victims.
Tell that line to the family and friends of the taxi drivers.
The taxi drivers never experience getting killed before now either!

Not being a victim does not mean it's safe, it means you have just been lucky.
The odds are stacking up against you.

Don

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
The girl was Haitian and was called Naomi, and for now that is all I am saying.

I did not see the body, obviously, and I have seen nothing in print.
Not really enough to start making public proclamations.
But it did happen.
Watch his space......

Mar 2, 2008
Don,

Actually a very good point about crime focused on taxi drivers. To me such an act indicates a few troubling trends.

Attacks on taxi drivers are quasi-spontaneous, which is to say they are usually not very well planned. They tend to be crimes of opportunity, and that alone is cause for some concern.

A taxi driver robbery has little chance of a big reward for the robber. they usually get only chump change, that seems to be reason enough for some thieves, and that is also a very troubling aspect.

And thirdly, the cruelty of the those attacks in SD staggers the mind. It is almost like it is purely for sport, and that is the most troubling aspect of those crimes as far as I am concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.