Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Because it is getting VERY bad here.

Much worse then the States, don't listen to those that are always saying,
Crime happens everywhere and that they have not been victims.
Tell that line to the family and friends of the taxi drivers.
The taxi drivers never experience getting killed before now either!

Not being a victim does not mean it's safe, it means you have just been lucky.
The odds are stacking up against you.

Don

With all due respect Don I'm aware of what goes on in this country and the crime. After all, I my sister in law works in the public hospital at all hours where they take the majority of those involved in violent altercations and what not.

As far as comparisons the situation in the States, I reserve the right to formulate my opinion based on my own experiences. With that said I feel no worse off here in Santiago than I did in Orlando. The police in Orlando are great and professional but of course all those that get killed by home invasions and drive by shootings don't know that. All it means is that the perps might get caught whereas here they don't. Bad thing is our country anymore is turning out criminals by the truckload - it's as if the adults anymore never had anyone tell them right from wrong. Come to think of it that is the the exact reason and because many of these kids don't have dad's either.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The girl was Haitian and was called Naomi, and for now that is all I am saying.

I did not see the body, obviously, and I have seen nothing in print.
Not really enough to start making public proclamations.
But it did happen.
Watch his space......

Do you mean the coffin which was disinterred? Partly because someone alleged family members had had a cellphone call from deceased (although family said they hadn't) and others said she was merely sleeping after some brujeria. That was in several papers & on You Tube - the disinterrment was quite a public spectacle. Papers say she fell ill Sunday, died Monday & was buried Tuesday but I didn't see anything about being murdered. And it was Montellano, not Sosua. The video is here:
FOTOS Y VIDEO: Turba desentierra haitiana "dec?an estaba viva"

Turba desentierra haitiana "dec?an estaba viva"

Desentierran haitiana

Was the 'brujo's powder' in reality poison adminstered by gringo husband?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Do you mean the coffin which was disinterred? Partly because someone alleged family members had had a cellphone call from deceased (although family said they hadn't) and others said she was merely sleeping after some brujeria. That was in several papers & on You Tube - the disinterrment was quite a public spectacle. Papers say she fell ill Sunday, died Monday & was buried Tuesday but I didn't see anything about being murdered. And it was Montellano, not Sosua. The video is here:
FOTOS Y VIDEO: Turba desentierra haitiana "dec?an estaba viva"

Turba desentierra haitiana "dec?an estaba viva"

Desentierran haitiana

Was the 'brujo's powder' in reality poison adminstered by gringo husband?

If anybody does need a zombie, however, we have the technology.
They are a little high maintenance, though.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Well there was one that seemed to fly beneath the radar.
A gringo killed his wife after he caught her in bed with another girl, last week.
Nothing in print so I didn't like to say anything on DR1.
I know the deceased's sister, Betty.

Why kill your wife for that? I Guess one mans dream is another mans nightmare..

Mar 2, 2008
I certainly do not want to make light of an obviously very serious situation, but as I was once told by an assistant district attorney, "It might have been a case of mistaken identity. He should have killed himself."

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Sosua Lover

I am a Sosua lover and have been for almost a decade. Hate to date myself.
We are back in Sosua after a 1.5 year hiatus and we are having a great vacation but we see a huge difference from the past.

I cannot put some things into words but I can tell you the locals just have a feel of desperation about them, unlike anything we have experienced in the past. There are virtually zero tourists here and I do understand we are in the beginning of low season.

We are seeing the Hatian kids sleeping in the streets after 9 PM. We have not seen this in previous trips.

The other huge difference I see are the influx of black NY'ers here to R****,Pill*** and Burn the Villa***. These guys are going to ruin Sousa. The town is full of them as is the condo I am staying in.
We are not in a low end condo.

On the bright side the eating establishments in Sosua are better than ever.
We have had fantastic meals on vacation at affordable prices.
We just don't feel safe walking back to the condo after dinner :(

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I am a Sosua lover and have been for almost a decade. Hate to date myself.
We are back in Sosua after a 1.5 year hiatus and we are having a great vacation but we see a huge difference from the past.

I cannot put some things into words but I can tell you the locals just have a feel of desperation about them, unlike anything we have experienced in the past. There are virtually zero tourists here and I do understand we are in the beginning of low season.

We are seeing the Hatian kids sleeping in the streets after 9 PM. We have not seen this in previous trips.

The other huge difference I see are the influx of black NY'ers here to R****,Pill*** and Burn the Villa***. These guys are going to ruin Sousa. The town is full of them as is the condo I am staying in.
We are not in a low end condo.

On the bright side the eating establishments in Sosua are better than ever.
We have had fantastic meals on vacation at affordable prices.
We just don't feel safe walking back to the condo after dinner :(

Holy sh*t, really?? In this time and age you speak like that?

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Well, the poster also sees the town empty of tourists but full of guys from NY. Go figure.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
You are right

Well, the poster also sees the town empty of tourists but full of guys from NY. Go figure.

LOL. You are correct. There is a contradiction in my statement. Let me clarify in that the town is primarily devoid of tourists, but the tourists I see are from NY with hat to the side.

Don't even think about going racial on me as I am not that.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Are you in town right now? I see what I see.

And what's the problem with having dark skinned NYorkers in Sosua exactly?? Are you superior to them? Maybe organize a movement to .....

One question though, what do you think of the mainly black population predominantly in the DR.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
And what's the problem with having dark skinned NYorkers in Sosua exactly?? Are you superior to them? Maybe organize a movement to .....

One question though, what do you think of the mainly black population predominantly in the DR.

Come on ExtremeR?.. You?re smarter than that. Why the rapid rush to judgment that this guy is a racist? I am so tired of this nonsense on the board. :tired:

Rumble2005 was stating his observations, and I happen to agree that the type of people he is describing, black, white or otherwise, are undesirable. I read more into his description on the clothes they wear and where they are from.

I assure you that they did not come to DR to relax on the beach and read a book. I can guarantee they did not come to eat in the many great restaurants or experience the culture. They came to run-a-muck !!!

Christ, is everyone walking around with blinders on? Is it not possible to give an opinion or offer a statement and not be pounced on as being a Racist?

When did it become acceptable in modern culture to make serious accusations on a whim? We need to grow up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.