Open your eyes expat

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
without a doubt the most disgusting show of racism i've seen in a quite a while.

and you contradict yourself...

there are virtually NO tourists.. but yet the town is being overrun by black new yorkers?

get a life. your current one sucks.

To be a bit fair, I believe Rumble did not choose the best wording for his rant, so let's be a bit less rough on him. Maybe is the way people are raised and that's how they talk but not how they feel, I don't know...

Aug 21, 2007
Perhaps some posters such as Rumble don't understand the African American sub-culture that, perhaps, these individuals come from.

In many African American inner-cities, men speak very loudly and expressively. They control the environment with their mannerisms and voice. This is not to say they are in any way bad- or even "thugs"......although a minority within their sub-culture MAY be "thugs." They are just demonstrating the behaviors and dress of their sub-culture, which I understand many other cultures may find unsavory or offensive.

These individuals may not understand the affect they may have on some others, just as a person who speaks in an uneducated manner does not realize the effect he has, or someone who has a righteous manner does not realize the effect he has.....

Sosua gets enough bad press without us condemning others simply on the manner of speaking or dress....

I would like to see us all be a little more accepting of differences, especially because most of us also come to the DR from somewhere else and have out own set of cultural mannerisms.

Lindsey

Reactions: waytogo

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I think this thread has a few important issues:

1. Never ever upset a Dominican. It doesn't matter if you are local or expat, white, black or green, they will often take their revenge. Many of the murders over recent years have been revenge murders of one type or another.

2. One of the great things about living here is the lack of PC. If you are blonde they call you rubia, fat - gordo. It can be hard to take when people keep telling you you are fat or have a spot on your nose which you have spent 2 hours trying to cover up with make up - but that is the Dominican way. It does not make you racist if you descibe the colour of a person nor prejudiced in anyway if you describe someones appearance. Too many first world hang ups in my opinion,

3. It may be important for the tourism industry and for the country in general to recognise different trends amongst tourism and newly arrived ex pats, The basic rule of marketing is to know your market. If Sosua now has more African americans, americans who are black, whatever we want to call them, who are into a certain type of culture, then those who have businesses in Sosua should cater for their needs and wants. The Costa del Sol in Spain is full of greasy fish and chips shops, and English pubs as it is full of British tourists and that is what they want.

4. Juan Dolio has had an influx of Russians and East Europeans over recent years. The first church here is about to be built. Not Catholic, not evangelical, but Russian Orthodox!! Loads of Italian snowbirds, hence loads of Italian restaurants.

5. Personally I am not into trousers round the knees and baggy underpants showing - but both my Dominican step kids 19 and 21 do it, and no amount of telling will change that. They think it is cool man!! Seem to remember my mother had the same comments about my mini skirts and platform boots!!

My two penneth

Matilda

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

1. Never ever upset a Dominican. It doesn't matter if you are local or expat, white, black or green, they will often take their revenge. Many of the murders over recent years have been revenge murders of one type or another.

2. One of the great things about living here is the lack of PC. If you are blonde they call you rubia, fat - gordo. It can be hard to take when people keep telling you you are fat or have a spot on your nose which you have spent 2 hours trying to cover up with make up - but that is the Dominican way. It does not make you racist if you descibe the colour of a person nor prejudiced in anyway if you describe someones appearance. Too many first world hang ups in my opinion,

3. It may be important for the tourism industry and for the country in general to recognise different trends amongst tourism and newly arrived ex pats, The basic rule of marketing is to know your market. If Sosua now has more African americans, americans who are black, whatever we want to call them, who are into a certain type of culture, then those who have businesses in Sosua should cater for their needs and wants. The Costa del Sol in Spain is full of greasy fish and chips shops, and English pubs as it is full of British tourists and that is what they want.

4. Juan Dolio has had an influx of Russians and East Europeans over recent years. The first church here is about to be built. Not Catholic, not evangelical, but Russian Orthodox!! Loads of Italian snowbirds, hence loads of Italian restaurants.

5. Personally I am not into trousers round the knees and baggy underpants showing - but both my Dominican step kids 19 and 21 do it, and no amount of telling will change that. They think it is cool man!! Seem to remember my mother had the same comments about my mini skirts and platform boots!!

My two penneth

Matilda
And very well said...

Kudos...

And I bolded your point #2, one of the reasons I love my new country. You don't have to be afraid to say what you think without some PC first-worlder taking offense and getting the vapors and some lawyer suing for hurt feelings...

In fact the folks I know with a quick "offended" finger are expats and tourists...

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Perhaps some posters such as Rumble don't understand the African American sub-culture that, perhaps, these individuals come from.

In many African American inner-cities, men speak very loudly and expressively. They control the environment with their mannerisms and voice. This is not to say they are in any way bad- or even "thugs"......although a minority within their sub-culture MAY be "thugs." They are just demonstrating the behaviors and dress of their sub-culture, which I understand many other cultures may find unsavory or offensive.

These individuals may not understand the affect they may have on some others, just as a person who speaks in an uneducated manner does not realize the effect he has, or someone who has a righteous manner does not realize the effect he has.....

Sosua gets enough bad press without us condemning others simply on the manner of speaking or dress....

I would like to see us all be a little more accepting of differences, especially because most of us also come to the DR from somewhere else and have out own set of cultural mannerisms.

Lindsey

Are you talking about Dominican??:paranoid:
There is a big similitude between Dominicans and AA. yes I can confirm this as Dominican I am.

JJ

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
And I bolded your point #2, one of the reasons I love my new country. You don't have to be afraid to say what you think without some PC first-worlder taking offense and getting the vapors and some lawyer suing for hurt feelings...

but strangely you can find yourself deleted from DR1

Reactions: Matilda

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
A new week has started.

The police where in my area today at around noon. I'm in Playa Chiquita. They were looking for 5 Dominicans that had robbed or tried to rob a place in Playa Laguna. The five went into the secured area of Sosua Ocean Village and had some incident at the restaurant. They disappeared, on foot, into the complex grounds that is mostly open land.

No car was found nor any of the five. I did not see anyone search the area that would have been easy to do.

This is told to me by my grounds man what he was told by the police. I also talked with another person that was told me the same thing. Keep in mind that both were told by the same source, the police. I did see the police car out front in my area. I don't know anything more.

BTW: I liked the posts from Lindsey and Matilda.

Ringo

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
I agree.
Some people are just so nosey and judgmental.

If someone wants to wear an untucked shirt that looks like a dress, pants with the waist half way down the ass and crotch at the knees, or shorts that go down to their ankles, good for them.

Now it they have a problem with bathing and using deodorant and they stink up the air that others breath, that is ignorant anti-social behaviour. :surprised

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

My two penneth

Matilda

Nice post Matilda.

I only disagree with the part about "never upset a Dominican". I have found the opposite to be the case and see Dominicans as much less confrontational than Americans or Europeans. It may be different in the coastal areas though.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Nice post Matilda.

I only disagree with the part about "never upset a Dominican". I have found the opposite to be the case and see Dominicans as much less confrontational than Americans or Europeans. It may be different in the coastal areas though.

I do not mean they will verbally or physically attack you when you upset them - but you might find yourself murdered later on. Given the lack of guaranteed justice in this country, if you accidentally kill someone - the chances are the familly will come after you. If you denounce someone to the police as being a thief or a murderer - be very careful. That is what I meant by not upsetting people. It's an eye for an eye. Nothing at all to do if you live by the sea!!!

matilda

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
I thought this thread was about telling expats to stay safe in the NOrth COast because of a rash of homicides. SOmehow it got twisted into people asserting they are not racists because they are "just speaking the truth". I wish all of you would STFU!

a. aggressiveness and attitude of American blacks? What is it to you? Should they kowtow to you just because.............?

b. Many of black tourists come here with the hip hop mentality and treat the women like hoes?
1. Do you know "many" much less "any" to make that statement?
2. What do the European tourists do when they come here?

c. your General consensus is bogus because if cannot be supported by any information apart from that which is anecdotal. You made it up.

d. Your friend who is marrying a white guy, another bogus anecdotal tale. Tell me about the time you, the Easter bunny and Strawberry Shortcake did a 3 some.

e. There are no purple, green nor polka dotted people so stop trying to deemphasize the color a person has on the ability in your mind to respect them

I think some of you guys got issues. The more you talk the more is sounds like some Thomas Jefferson/Sally Hemings lust issues you re trying to work out. Not all of you, but some of you are grasping for straws using logic that the "BLACK guys from NY with the low pants and sideways baseball caps" make me scared to go home. I walked through a metal detector before I got on the plane so what gun or knife did I bring with me? They are staying in my condo and its not on the low end. So what? The black people here are only interesting as long as they are NOT economically competitive nor comparable with you? The minute they do you re running in fear for your life?
They came to whore it up....and what does the 55 year old French guy doing with the 19 year old women darker than a California plum? I m a whore monger but HE is a missionary?
You guys got to work it out. Everybody has the right to be hypocritical, but some of you are bordering on outright frauds.
But alas, "Iz so sarrie a mak yu feez so bad wit'cha sef. Iz all NUYORKified wit my Blackness n my 'gressiv-tivity scare the po' white lady oudda her dress. Great jumbalaya! Iz so sarrie white folk!"

Sorry, my friend, everything in my post was -- unfortunately -- the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Wish I could give you the girl's name and her address and you could get it straight from her, but for confidentiality reasons, I won't.

I don't expect blacks to kowtow to me, but then again, I, myself, shouldn't have to kowtow to some belligerant black "gangsta" from NY who's in my face either.

Ever heard the term "reverse racism?" White folks are the not only people guilty of racism, I know some blacks who are as bad if not worse when it comes to bias, so please don't lecture me.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
revenge

I do not mean they will verbally or physically attack you when you upset them - but you might find yourself murdered later on. Given the lack of guaranteed justice in this country, if you accidentally kill someone - the chances are the familly will come after you. If you denounce someone to the police as being a thief or a murderer - be very careful. That is what I meant by not upsetting people. It's an eye for an eye. Nothing at all to do if you live by the sea!!!

matilda
This I can confirm , Matilda. A renter of a neighbour upset again dominican men, although we told him not to do .
M o n t h's later the revenge came, one trew several bottles with gasoline into the windows of the renter's apartment. BIG FIRE. He was just lucky, not to be in, otherwise .....
By the way, the owner of the had have lots of damage. The good thing had been, that we neighbours had been at home this evening and run alltogether to turn-off the fire.
Sabra

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008

matilda

So you would have to do something pretty bad. Like accidentally kill someone. I was getting a bit nervous there. Thinking about who I might have upset.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Ever heard the term "reverse racism?" White folks are the not only people guilty of racism, I know some blacks who are as bad if not worse when it comes to bias, so please don't lecture me.

That said it all !!!!!!

By the way, Racism is racism (look up the dictionary).
The use of reverse in your case was just used to justify your own. ;)

Also, I find it hard to believe that you actually know some Black Folks !!!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

Lindsey

No offesne, man but you re politically correcting and not necessarily making it much better.
ALL young people make noise. Think back a couple of ice ages to when you were a co-ed, you and the boys didnt go down and tie one on from Friday night to Sunday afternoon? And sometimes didnt you start on Thursday night? In all of this "youthful exuberance" you never made a sound? It was just 65 college students in a bar throwing darts and doing a Barbershop Quartet? There is no subculture to this. Young people make noise.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Sorry, my friend, everything in my post was -- unfortunately -- the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Wish I could give you the girl's name and her address and you could get it straight from her, but for confidentiality reasons, I won't.

I don't expect blacks to kowtow to me, but then again, I, myself, shouldn't have to kowtow to some belligerant black "gangsta" from NY who's in my face either.

I dont need to lecture you, there is nothing you can learn. You know it all. Look at this, I became a belligerent black "gangsta" because I have more money to spend in town that you do? I can stay in a better place OR the exact same place you stay in without regard? I can eat better food OR the same food as you without regard? And for this I should be ashamed?

No, I think you re more at ease with the malnourished Dominican who needs your fiscal compassion to see him through to another day. I think you re more at ease with undereducated Dominican you encounter whom you can mesmerized with your "vastly world knowledge of all things substantial and inconsequential". I think you re at ease "making friends" with an underemployed Dominican who you can regale with tales of being a middle manager in an nondescript, unimaginative office park somewhere in the endless suburban sprawl of America. I can smell a God complex from across the street. It stinks like that waxy Old Spice deodorant.

I got you guys figured out, thats why you stay in Sosua or Punta Cana and all them tourist towns. You re lording your relevant wealth over these people and they should genuflect because of that. But in the exact opposite fashion, you ve created too much envy and now they want to kill you for it.
Huh, tell me what I know...

Reactions: margaret and Berzin

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

matilda

From what I've seen here in Moca and Santiago amoung our extended family and friends that what you talk about is uncommon to say the least.

Furthermore, in the campo where my wife is from there are enimigos that have been offending eachother off and on for the last 15 years and as of yet no one has killed eachother yet.

I really do believe life is very much different in the tourist areas. I have traveled all over this island and it really appears different to me.

afroski

May 12, 2007
www.georgiaflash.com
I dont need to lecture you, there is nothing you can learn. You know it all. Look at this, I became a belligerent black "gangsta" because I have more money to spend in town that you do? I can stay in a better place OR the exact same place you stay in without regard? I can eat better food OR the same food as you without regard? And for this I should be ashamed?

No, I think you re more at ease with the malnourished Dominican who needs your fiscal compassion to see him through to another day. I think you re more at ease with undereducated Dominican you encounter whom you can mesmerized with your "vastly world knowledge of all things substantial and inconsequential". I think you re at ease "making friends" with an underemployed Dominican who you can regale with tales of being a middle manager in an nondescript, unimaginative office park somewhere in the endless suburban sprawl of America. I can smell a God complex from across the street. It stinks like that waxy Old Spice deodorant.

I got you guys figured out, thats why you stay in Sosua or Punta Cana and all them tourist towns. You re lording your relevant wealth over these people and they should genuflect because of that. But in the exact opposite fashion, you ve created too much envy and now they want to kill you for it.
Huh, tell me what I know...

You hit the nail on the head!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.