Opening a bank account

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
as wrote on post #5 "much depends on which bank and on which day", you must remain fair play with them, more you give what they ask ,more the process in quick... Opened in 2 hours (deposit accounts) but I have them all they wanted.

Open a account in pesos is easy, but in dollars you will need more thing "depends on which bank and on which day"

Why do they need proof of income if you're just depositing money?

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
yes for me I had to give the name of 2 people that know me

Most do want some reference letters from dominicans living here that know you and can say you are a "good" person etc.. They also usually want a bank reference letter from another bank you have banked with.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
I went to Scotia in arroyo hondo and they told me all i need his 2 letter from Canadian bank + letter of recommandation from somebody that lives here like a lawyer. So i guess im gonna go with Scotiabank

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Maybe they also think we are shady bc of our tattoos and age, so they are more strict?! I have no idea but we are a lot less shady than most of the expats here!
Things have changed a bit also since I opened my scotia account 4 years ago. I think they are a little more strict now. I don't like Scotiabank though and cancelled my account with them. Opened an account at BHD also without any problem, with my passport.

For me the best bank is Banco Popular, but it is a little more difficult to open an account, especially since I don't have a Dominican employer. I need to get a letter from my Dutch bank and also from my American a employer, which technically is not my employer and they won't give a letter stating that I am their employee. I solved it by opening accounts on my wife's name and ask for a second credit card on my name. The rest I do by internet banking or ATM, so it really doesn't matter who is the account holder.

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
If I were to open an account with Scotia in the US, would it make it easy when I went there in the DR?

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
They ask for references even if all you want is a savings account? No credit cards? Sounds strange, since they would be taking no risk.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hard to tell exactly, but I think I'm hearing more problems from the tourist towns than from other places.

Witness 'Arroyo Hondo' easy open Scotia... mine was SD too.

Harley - take the easy way -- use your wife's work connections.
Somebody's relative works in a GH bank and will vouch for you (hopefully, maybe not - as you say, age, etc)

Give it a try..... easier to swim with the current than against it

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
given the number of reprobates that float in, its hard to blame them.

ya think they've been taken for a ride before???

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I had a wall built a few years back..... gave the deposit and then needed the final payment.

The deposit check cleared for my maestro at his check casher.........
Final one - not so good.........

Seems the banking system had instituted new rules about the coding (unbeknownst to me) and the 2nd check bounced like Air Jordan.

Didn't take long in lil ol' Cabrera for the check casher to track me down and talk about fixing the problem.

I went to the bank for cash and paid him off...... best pals ever since.

That sort of thing helps when you're looking open an account.
Thats why I suggested using your wife's local connections..... everything can happen

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
What?? Either times have changed or its a pay me some money thingy. I had my passport on hand and which i forgot to say, my lease and internet bill as proof of address...that was it

popular you need residency or so they told us amongst many other documents and reference letters, we are opening an account with them right now and it is not easy, neither is scotia bank, we already have an account with them.

My buddy opened an account here in one day with a smaller bank, i can't remember if it was ban reservas or leon.

Easy and opening a bank account really should not be allowed in the same sentence here.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Either that or they dont trust tourist somehow in Puerto Plata!

Are you still moving to SD harley?

Either that or they dont trust tourist somehow in Puerto Plata!

Are you still moving to SD harley?

Yes 100% after we sell the house, if we can find a decent enough place to live in that doesn't cost $3000 a month to rent!! We are still in SD now and I don't want to go home!

I'm glad you can open an account at Scotia! Clearly never listen to me :)

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Come have a look where i live if you want, i think theres a few house around 1000$. I am sure its the kind of place you are looking for!