Opening a bank account

Sep 4, 2012
Can you comprehend?
I have not stated any failures to have an account opened, the point is the different requirements. Papers, letters, approvals, referrals involved and that doesn't take in consideration the different rules and policies from individual banks.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
rule changes....
as I sat there in 2008 w/ all paperwork, they thru me a curve .... not on any list heretofore... 2 reference letters

Fortunately, after a minor criminal career, I am still on speaking terms w/ my lawyers in Canada..

I called and stood in the Scotia SD office while they typed and faxed the req'd letters..
No problem any more --------- solved.

done...

you need to be able to adjust, to bend and bow... listen to the music.

those who fight... remind me of "The Great Race" (Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon)

He who fights and runs away, shall live to fight another day............

The speaker then jumps out of a castle window(sword in hand) into a waiting rowboat for the great escape.....

Jumps straight into it----------- and straight through it---- into the castle's moat..

the rowboat and rower sink quickly...........

You may liken that to your banking experiences in RD......

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I tried to open a bank account 3 times (while being on a tourist visa):

- bank Popular: they gave me a list of 6 items I needed to bring, - references etc. I started getting that stuff together but then got sidetracked and never completed. FAIL.

- Scotia. They said I need a bank reference from another bank. When I brought it, they said they can't open a bank account since I am a Canadian citizen and they can't be bothered to report my account to their head office or something as they are are apparently required to do. I already really hated Scotia before this, this experience just made me hate them even more. Another FAIL.

- Ban Reservas. Came in with a just passport, came out with 2 accounts (USD, DOP) an hour later. Never had a problem since, not a penny stolen or lost. So far. SUCCESS. Referred a friend, he opened an account just as easily.

Then other folks can't seem to be able to open a BR account but Progreso works, there is no rhyme and reason, its the DR! My advice is to take all the documents you have and pop into every bank within walking distance, see who opens the account. If none - repeat a couple of times on a different day/ time of day / talk to a different person in the bank.

So we have waited 3 weeks to hear back from popular, went in twice to see
what was taking so long as they said 3
Days and they just said they didn't know.
Today the wife goes in again and the lady said that the copy of the passport picture that they took was too dark and SD popular said we would not be able to get an account there bc of security reasons. Lol.

The wife tried to explain to them to set the copy machine lighter but the lady wouldn't listen. The wife said we got our cedula and residency with the same passport and another bank account somewhere else would she like us to go to the SD popular to show the passport?! Lady said no and that she will try and photocopy the passport, the residency card and cedula all together to see if that works and to come back tomorrow.
We will obviously do a photocopy at home of the passport on a lighter setting.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
So we have waited 3 weeks to hear back from popular, went in twice to see
what was taking so long as they said 3
Days and they just said they didn't know.
Today the wife goes in again and the lady said that the copy of the passport picture that they took was too dark and SD popular said we would not be able to get an account there bc of security reasons. Lol.

The wife tried to explain to them to set the copy machine lighter but the lady wouldn't listen. The wife said we got our cedula and residency with the same passport and another bank account somewhere else would she like us to go to the SD popular to show the passport?! Lady said no and that she will try and photocopy the passport, the residency card and cedula all together to see if that works and to come back tomorrow.
We will obviously do a photocopy at home of the passport on a lighter setting.

Just go to another bank or a different BP. No two branches are ever the same. Some of these idiots want to play "Dick Tracy". Just move on.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
after 71 posts, nobody can suggest a better solution than "just keep trying"......

which was suggested MUCH earlier...

there is no magic solution here

Try, try and try again -- as the saying goes.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
after 71 posts, nobody can suggest a better solution than "just keep trying"......

which was suggested MUCH earlier...

there is no magic solution here

Try, try and try again -- as the saying goes.

You have not tried hard if you are waiting weeks for some moron to approve you. Follow the advice and get out to different banks and branches and you will get what you want. Any bank that cannot approve you the same day is worthless. I opened a half dozen accounts at different banks. My reference when asked? My maid.

Now I have a DR Passport so I am past this nonsense.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
I just returned to Canada after a 3 month stay. While is Sosua my wife and I opened a peso and a US dollar account at Banco Santa Cruz. It took about 2 hours. We had a letter from TD bank in Toronto and were introduced by a friend who has an account there. We also required our passports as well as another piece of picture ID. The process was painless and the staff there are pleasant and professional to deal with. We can bank online with them and have a bank card. I hope this helps.
Matt.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
It is very easy. Just go into the bank with a resident with an account and you will deposit Mil pesos and have your debit account within 15 minutes. Before I had residency I opened with Popular, but I now have Banreservas (for car financing) and BHD for loans.