Opening a bank account

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I guess things have changed.
18 years ago, I got a checking account, and a Credit Card from Banco Reservas with just my passport.
I later dumped the checking account because personal checks in the DR are worthless, NOBODY wants to take them, wonder why?????
That passport is long expired, but they still list it as my "Ceduala" #.
Anybody wanna "WASH" some "Cake"???????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Does Scotia have branches there? I have been told repeatedly it is a Canadian Bank.

No Scotia US banks.

TD (Toronto Dominion) has a large US business but they are not connected to the US side.

RBC straddles the border better than any of the others but you need an investment account to do it.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you go in wearing a red shirt and get turned down, just change to a blue shirt and see if you will get approved!!!!!!
Get The Point?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
I've opened accounts in 2 banks with both pesos and US and have closed both. The fees they charge are ridiculous and they just remove funds from the account. At this point I have 2 CDs in the DR and keep everything else in the US. I really had no need for an account here because I use my US check book to obtain pesos from my local store.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I opened an account with Progreso with just my passport, easily and quickly, nothing else even mentioned. Maybe because it is a small town and all the bank staff already knew me by name by then though? Not sure if Progreso is easier than others?

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I had this problem a little over a year ago in Santo Domingo. It wasn't easy to open an account even though I had permanent residency. The law firm I use thankfully sent along a paralegal to verify my status as an upstanding and decent resident. The first two banks we tried still insisted that I provide a bunch of paperwork that would have been a real hassle to obtain. The third one agreed to open the account.

Sep 4, 2012
Please allow me to strongly state this for the record. Opening a bank account or banking on the DR is by far the most excruciating, agonizing and the most ridiculously scheme anyone would ever endure in their lifetime.

Its just a joke!!

Sep 4, 2012
You are not the rule and rather the exclusion or exception. For me and many others the story was different and the experience as stated above.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have done it twice....opened accounts

The first time it was the requirement to apply for residency.
The Guzman advice was to have a bank account as proof of residency status and solvency.

Arrived Sat afternoon Jan 2008,
door basher special Monday morning at the bank to open an account. then off to the lawyer Tuesday AM, account in hand

Application processed and residency granted by May/June.

never looked back

I understand the process is different now for the residency... but we did all the medicals then too.

Been said a million times here - what works for some doesnt' work for others.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Personally, no problems for me..... that may be unusual.

But then, I'm may be just a regular guy who lucks out regularly.......

SANTIAGO ONE

Oct 20, 2013
Please allow me to strongly state this for the record. Opening a bank account or banking on the DR is by far the most excruciating, agonizing and the most ridiculously scheme anyone would ever endure in their lifetime.

Its just a joke!!
No Hijack but- that sounds exactly like my experience when trying to open an account with Claro for internet service when I first got here. LOL