Opinion for Best Place for My Family Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanluisdavid

May 18, 2012
Yes. I was checking out that place previously, but another guy I was talking to before told me it was pretty expensive. He said that to really enjoy it, you would need to have a boat and alot of cash. He actually lived there a few years and he ended up moving away. I think that guy was even coming from San Diego as well and was married to a Colombiana at the time. I will research it a little more. I know Panama has great benefits for retirees.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
http://experience.usatoday.com/caribbean/story/punta-cana/2013/11/04/punta-cana-overview/3430419/

I don't know if this is still accurate, but it looks as if there is no real city center to speak of. That is something we definitely would want...a walkable city center where we could hang out, get something to eat, grab a coffee, things like that.
The el Cortecito area would be considered the city center. Lots of restaurants, shops and other services all withing walking distance. A three bedroom rental in this area would run 900 to 1400 in a gated community within walking distance to the beach. You have several bilingual and international schools available. Bavaro Bilingual, Punta Cana International, and Heritage to name a few. They are not cheap, but provide a decent education.

Sent from my SM-E700H using Tapatalk

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Airports and airplane trips suck. The DR is twice as far from San Diego as is Panama. If your family and contacts were in
Florida, the DR would make more sense.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Yes. I was checking out that place previously, but another guy I was talking to before told me it was pretty expensive. He said that to really enjoy it, you would need to have a boat and alot of cash. He actually lived there a few years and he ended up moving away. I think that guy was even coming from San Diego as well and was married to a Colombiana at the time. I will research it a little more. I know Panama has great benefits for retirees.

One doesn't really need a car on Isla Colon, cabs are all over the place but most people use bicycles.
I've lived there and I can assure you that it's a lot cheaper than the DR. The island is really safe, people don't even have bars on the windows. Beaches close by where you see the turtles arriving and laying their eggs. Lots of dolphins, monkeys, iguanas etc and everybody speaks English, the locals are descendants of West Indians.
It's close to Costa Rica, you don't have to worry about residency, 180 days for a tourist visa.
Education is pretty good since there are quite a few foreigners with children there.
Your children would love growing up there!!

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
There is no parallel between San Diego and the D.R. You will not be happy here with a family of 4 on 4000 thousand U.S a month

sanluisdavid

May 18, 2012
Airports and airplane trips suck. The DR is twice as far from San Diego as is Panama. If your family and contacts were in
Florida, the DR would make more sense.

DR is definitely not twice as far as Panama from San Diego. Actually flights from San Diego take less time to DR than to Panama in most case. Actually just checked and it is around 200 miles farther to DR than Panama. That's it

Last edited:

sanluisdavid

May 18, 2012
I know San Diego and DR are not similar. That's why we are considering moving. My wife is from Barranquilla so DR is a big improvement over that. And yeah $4K is not a huge amount of money but it costs over twice that to live well here in San Diego.

sanluisdavid

May 18, 2012
One doesn't really need a car on Isla Colon, cabs are all over the place but most people use bicycles.
I've lived there and I can assure you that it's a lot cheaper than the DR. The island is really safe, people don't even have bars on the windows. Beaches close by where you see the turtles arriving and laying their eggs. Lots of dolphins, monkeys, iguanas etc and everybody speaks English, the locals are descendants of West Indians.
It's close to Costa Rica, you don't have to worry about residency, 180 days for a tourist visa.
Education is pretty good since there are quite a few foreigners with children there.
Your children would love growing up there!!

I am going to research this further. Thank you

sanluisdavid

May 18, 2012
I have been looking into a potential move to the DR for a few years now and I could not imagine trying to do it on $4k u.s. a month unless the plan was to move to the campo which does not seem like it would fit with the op's lifestyle. I would suggest that Bavaro in particular would be completely out of range for this budget.

Secondarily, swapping the U.S. health insurance system for the system here...maybe I am uninformed but that sounds like gambling with your life to me.

Given your stated personal and family needs you might be well served to consider another destination....

Gambling with my life? Why is that? I work in the health care industry and it is not so great here in the States either. Plus with crappy coverage and incredibly high deductibles and copay it is not readily accessible. Sosua, Cabarete, and Puerto Plata prices were all very, very inexpensive for our kind of lifestyle so I am not so much concerned about getting by on $4000. Just what would be good ideas for an active family

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Good to see your getting both GOOD and BAD advice in the mix here!
I strongly suggest you take 3/4 of this "expert advice" with a grain of salt.
$4K is a do-able, not extravagant North Coast budget, IMO.
Ask Wind what it really costs to live here, or Willie Web.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I know San Diego and DR are not similar. That's why we are considering moving. My wife is from Barranquilla so DR is a big improvement over that. And yeah $4K is not a huge amount of money but it costs over twice that to live well here in San Diego.

San Diego offers something the D.R does not. Infrastructure !! The D.R has no public school system, safety and security are your responsibility, you will not be able to drink that safe California tap water right out of the faucet.The D.R is no where near as cosmopolitan as Barranquilla. Jerry Brown provides a safety net for all people in California (high taxes). In the D.R your only support network is family.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Our house in Puerto Plata is a 2 story 4 bedroom in El Doral for 23,000 pesos ($511) a month. Before that we had a 3 bedroom one story house in the same area for 13,000 pesos ($288) a month. We can go to the beach by our house very easily by car. Then it isn't too far to drive to Sosua or Cabarete.

I know you could get a cheaper place or a much more expensive one. Take into account gasoline, electricity, cars, electronics, etc are all more expensive then in the US. How much air conditioning and what part of the country you live in will make a big difference.

I think the temptation to spend more money in the US is more because there is so much more to do in the US. If someone needed serious medical attention I think you would want to return to the US.

With a family it is much harder to test a place out for 6 months or a year.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Good to see your getting both GOOD and BAD advice in the mix here!
I strongly suggest you take 3/4 of this "expert advice" with a grain of salt.
$4K is a do-able, not extravagant North Coast budget, IMO.
Ask Wind what it really costs to live here, or Willie Web.

...or dv8, or drescape24, or Gorgon...

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
This is a highly astute and accurate post..Mr Freqexpat. Living here I have always said: if its trauma or accute get it treated here. For all else, (diagnosis, maintenance, scheduled appointments and procedures) go State side. There are too many variables here in the healthcare system not to go to the U.S

sanluisdavid

May 18, 2012
@ Pauleast: Barranquilla cosmopolitan? Have you ever been there? I have been there about 15 times now and it is about 180 degrees from the definition of cosmopolitan. SOSUA and Cabarete seemed much more cosmopolitan to me. Wide variety of folks living and vacationing there from all over the world. You can go weeks in Barranquilla and never see anyone who was not born and raised in that same place. Hardly anyone speaks English and very few visitors or tourists. Yes San Diego has infrastructure but I am paying for it in high taxes. In DR low taxes. Or no taxes if I rent. Beaches are free. Warm weather and water free. I don't know anyone who drinks tap water in San Diego, FL, or AZ where I have lived the last 25 years. I am not looking for golfing, martinis, socialite luncheons. Just flip flops, boogie boards, frisbee, a few beers, dancing, naps in a hammock, maybe rent some quads a few times a year to go riding.

sanluisdavid

May 18, 2012
Life expectancy for men in US and DR is essentially the same. Contrary to popular belief, despite all money, experts, medicines, state of the art devices and techniques, it makes virtually no difference when it is all said and done.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
WELL moving here for the beach ///////// get rid of the kids //// better have a prop manager -10 percent

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Usd4,000 is probably doable for a family of four but do you want to live doable or comfortable? Education is one of the main things what make this country expensive. Probably can't compare my situation with yours, I live in SD and we are a family of 6, but I need USD5,000 to make ends meet and USD6,000 if I include GOOD education. Make that USD7,000 if I also want to be able to save for a trip home every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.