Opinion for Best Place for My Family Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanluisdavid

May 18, 2012
I have a great prop manager. Charges 5%. San Diego is red hot rental market so units rent themselves basically. Actually if we defer move for 2 1/2 years my older son will hopefully be in college. So that will just leave one who will be living with us full time. My daughter lives with her mom most of the year and comes with us for summer break and other holidays.

sanluisdavid

May 18, 2012
Usd4,000 is probably doable for a family of four but do you want to live doable or comfortable? Education is one of the main things what make this country expensive. Probably can't compare my situation with yours, I live in SD and we are a family of 6, but I need USD5,000 to make ends meet and USD6,000 if I include GOOD education. Make that USD7,000 if I also want to be able to save for a trip home every year.
Another idea I was toying with would be to live 9 months in DR, 3 months in US. I work in health field where there is a big demand. Lots of companies out there who pay top dollar and housing costs for someone like me to come on board for 3 month assignment. That would be a pretty good cash injection if needed. Could probably save $2K per month like that. Could see the kids during that time too, so would accomplish several things at once.

sanluisdavid

May 18, 2012
I understand that cars and gas are very expensive in DR. That is one of the things I would like to avoid. I do it here in the US too. I would like to find a place where we can walk most places. Maybe find an 1986 Suzuki Samurai or something like that for our car if we need it for something.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
@ Pauleast: Barranquilla cosmopolitan? Have you ever been there? I have been there about 15 times now and it is about 180 degrees from the definition of cosmopolitan. SOSUA and Cabarete seemed much more cosmopolitan to me. Wide variety of folks living and vacationing there from all over the world. You can go weeks in Barranquilla and never see anyone who was not born and raised in that same place. Hardly anyone speaks English and very few visitors or tourists. Yes San Diego has infrastructure but I am paying for it in high taxes. In DR low taxes. Or no taxes if I rent. Beaches are free. Warm weather and water free. I don't know anyone who drinks tap water in San Diego, FL, or AZ where I have lived the last 25 years. I am not looking for golfing, martinis, socialite luncheons. Just flip flops, boogie boards, frisbee, a few beers, dancing, naps in a hammock, maybe rent some quads a few times a year to go riding.

Sosua cosmopolitan.... Lol....get back to us after you and your family have boots on the ground for a few months. See how you hold up in the humidity. This ain't So Cal. .. You claim to be in the health care industry and think the D.R and the U.S are the same, good luck with your pipe dream bro

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Another idea I was toying with would be to live 9 months in DR, 3 months in US. I work in health field where there is a big demand. Lots of companies out there who pay top dollar and housing costs for someone like me to come on board for 3 month assignment. That would be a pretty good cash injection if needed. Could probably save $2K per month like that. Could see the kids during that time too, so would accomplish several things at once.

Or, you could do the opposite, with nine months in the states, and enjoy the summers in DR with the kids. In a few more years, you'll have a kid in college, which will help you keep your in-country expenses down.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Your budget will depend on where you live and the type of lifestyle your looking to live. Living here always has some "unexpected" financial surprises so be prepared and have that financial safety net. Flights from the US West Coast are killers in my opinion (time and cost) and I do them about 4-5x a year (family lives on the West Coast). I can't comment on the NC as I live in Santo Domingo which can be very expensive. If possible spend some time in a couple different areas to see which suits what your looking for. As for healthcare here, lets just say when I travel back to the US I make it a point to deal with health related issues while I am in the US.

Last edited:

PanfilodeVaca

Jan 12, 2014
Your thinking is muddled. You start out by grumbling about escaping the cost of US healthcare and the cost of maintaining a vehicle to get around the San Diego area. Although you never come out and say it: what you are really talking about is "How do I retire in my mid to late 40s with a young family and a limited income?"

Eventually you suggest that maybe you can get short to medium term assignments in your field of healthcare to supplement your budget with the implication that you would leave your family for extended periods. Since medical benefits are one of the first perks of working in healthcare, that fact that you are paying for healthcare now suggests that you are not working full-time at present either.

It's great that you have some income-producing real estate. But this seems to be the primary funding of your retire before 50 plan. Are you the manager of the units? (attaboy, chic) How will you handle that if you are living in another country? Have you priced out round trip airfare between San Diego and the Dominican Republic and how those trips would affect your budget? You suggest that you are on your second family. Who will pay for college for your 15 year old? The eight year old daughter appears to be a product of your first marriage though you don't specifically say it. Are you responsible for any of the costs of her upbringing?

I hate to go Soozy Orman on you but: DENIED

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Just to give you some background on my situation: I am in mid 40's, US born and raised. I speak pretty good Spanish.
My wife is in her late 20's. Colombiana from Barranquilla. We have a 3 1/2 year old son. I have a 15 year old son who lives
with us too. My 8 year old daughter visits us frequently. We currently live in San Diego, CA. The lifestyle here is pretty good
but hectic, the ocean water is cold, and it is very expensive and depends on us driving a lot. We are getting hit hard by
Obamacare and will be paying around $950/month for a crappy health plan here. None of us have any real medical issues
. We all exercise frequently, eat well, and don't want to pay that much for insurance which will probably rarely be used.

We traveled to Sosua for a very short trip last year. We loved the water, beach, seafood, prices, music, and international
community. But it was a little rough around the edges for family life.

What other options might be good for us based on the information provided? We want to vacation there for a month
or so first, then possibly relocate there full time in 2 years when my oldest son hits college. We have several rentals here
in San Diego which will provide some income and I have a couple other income producing investments which combined with the rentals
would bring us up to maybe $4,000/month.

We would be traveling back to San Diego at least once a year. And having the kids travel down to see us at least 2 times a year. So a total
of about 8 round trip tickets from San Diego to DR. Keep that in mind when giving some options.

I know there are a lot of variables that cannot be figured, but just wanted some input which might give us a little more
insight as where to start our research.

Oh, and if you have experience living in other tropical, lower cost countries, feel free to mention them as well.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

First, you sound very logical in your though process for relocating however there is a lot to it. You will need to apply for residency in the DR. This starts in the US. You will need certain documents, including a background check done by the Cal. State Police, with digital fingerprints. You will need to do this for yourself, wife and any children coming to the DR. Contact the nearest Dominican Consulate for all the necessary requirements. Once you have all the needed documents, translated in Spanish and approved by the Consulate you will bring these to the DR and hire an attorney to guide these through the application process. This is not cheap and probably wil cost you about $1200 per person. It take 6-12 months to obtain temporary residency. With $4000 dollars a month you could live very nicely in the DR. I would consider the North Coast, Puerta Plata, Sosua , Cabarate and also the Northeast and the Samana Peninsula and Las Terrenas. Las Terrenas has a large European population, including French, Italian, German and also Great Britain, Canada and the US and of course, Haiti and the DR. Las Terrenas has some of the best beaches and restaurants in the DR. I would highly consider renting for a month here. Check out the on line tourist guide at the top of the Northeast thread. There is also a major airport (AZS)30 minutes away vs flying into Santo Domingo. A major thing to consider when deciding on a rental property is your security. I would not recommend getting a free standing villa. Rent a condo in an area where there is good security, possibly a gated community. In Las Terrenas I would recommend checking out www.doncesarresidencia.com. Yes, I used to own an apartment there. It is a great location right across the street from the ocean and the Fishermen's Village Restaurants and Bars. They have some nice two floor townhouses. Also another place on the other side of town, Playa Popi is the Las Palmas. These are individual small houses in a very secure setting. The key in moving to the DR is that you can afford the lifestyle you are use to without having to work here. Although it is cheaper cost of living than California it is not that cheap. Electricity is more expensive, gas for a car is around $5 a gallon. Some food items are reasonable, like, chicken, and pork and fruits and vegtables. Anything imoported, such as, health and beauty products are more but you can always bring these from the States. Coming here for a month is a great idea to get a feel for what everyday life outside of a resort is like. The weather from Dec to April is ideal from around 80F during the day and 70F at night. Good luck and if you have other questions and conerns don't be afraid to ask.

sanluisdavid

May 18, 2012
Your thinking is muddled. You start out by grumbling about escaping the cost of US healthcare and the cost of maintaining a vehicle to get around the San Diego area. Although you never come out and say it: what you are really talking about is "How do I retire in my mid to late 40s with a young family and a limited income?"

Eventually you suggest that maybe you can get short to medium term assignments in your field of healthcare to supplement your budget with the implication that you would leave your family for extended periods. Since medical benefits are one of the first perks of working in healthcare, that fact that you are paying for healthcare now suggests that you are not working full-time at present either.

It's great that you have some income-producing real estate. But this seems to be the primary funding of your retire before 50 plan. Are you the manager of the units? (attaboy, chic) How will you handle that if you are living in another country? Have you priced out round trip airfare between San Diego and the Dominican Republic and how those trips would affect your budget? You suggest that you are on your second family. Who will pay for college for your 15 year old? The eight year old daughter appears to be a product of your first marriage though you don't specifically say it. Are you responsible for any of the costs of her upbringing?

I hate to go Soozy Orman on you but: DENIED
Wow. Lots of negative on this board. Where do I start? If a person has a young family it is basically impossible to retire early living in San Diego. Precisely one of the reasons we are contemplating DR. Contrary to your imagination, I don't get health care insurance through my work. If I were to do so, I would need to take a huge cut in pay. I work per visit, per diem. I have a great prop manager here in San Diego. Payments are electronically deposited. I already factored in my trips . Will add about $350/month to budget. I have $25K in college account for my oldest son. That should cover some of his college. He will need to work and take out loans for the rest. I will be responsible for $400/month for my daughter since I am paying more than the law demands already by design since I want to retire early. This was OKED by the ex and the courts.I would not be leaving my family for extended periods. I would take work assignment during summer breaks and travel with family. What else?

sanluisdavid

May 18, 2012
I have a pretty wife and great kids who I want to have more time with in a tropical setting. What is so difficult for you to understand?

sanluisdavid

May 18, 2012
Look up the definition of cosmopolitan, then travel to both places. Then report back here. My wife is from Barranquilla bro. She does not like San Diego because it is too cold. We don't hardly go in the ocean even in summer because it is too cold here. We want a tropical location. Research health care around the world. US is not near the top. And the life expectancy proves that.

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
Sanluisdavid, I'm about 40, I live in Massachusetts with my twenty-something Dominican (becoming more and more American) wife. We have two kids. I noticed that you said your wife has concerns with safety. That is a big issue in the DR, pretty much through out the country, as far as I can tell. I have been to most parts of the island. I have never been to Colombia but there has been some discussion on this very website regarding the relative levels of security between the DR and Colombia and it seems like people who have been to both places think security is worse in the DR than it is in Colombia. That is a huge generalization but that is what I remember people saying. I hope I don't sound negative, I'm just saying that may be an issue to explore further, in terms of what your expectations are for the experience. I am also familiar with the cold Pacific water you are trying to escape and can assure you the water in the DR is much warmer, everywhere you will go. Good Luck!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If it were me and my family they would remain in California. I lived in the San Francisco Bay area and came here to retire. If I had kids and/or needed to continue to work, I would not be in the DR. Good luck in your decisions.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Welcome to dr1.

Just bc you all eat well, exercise and are healthy does not mean you should not get good health insurance here. MANY things can happen here where you would need it!!

$4,000 would be tight in the NC area, Santiago is much cheaper to live in.

Good luck :)

Never met a Dominican family on the NC who would have trouble getting by on $4,000 USD a month.
Can you please explain to all of us why you think $4,000 a month would be ?tight? on the NC?

:last part deleted:

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
1) figure out how much money you have to spend on living each month
2) Find a place where you can live comfortably on that amount.
3) Decide how often you will need to "go home". If more than once a year, stay as close to home as possible.
4) File the paperwork to live in the country you have chosen.
5) Pack up the family and the dog and move.

If you do it right, you can make it work. It will be very different from what you are expecting. Palm trees are cool when on vacation for a couple of weeks, much less pleasant when they are spitting coconuts at you after you move to paradise. Remember prices always go up, almost never down. Will what is affordable today be affordable in a few years? With airfare prices going up and up, how long will you be able to afford to fly your kids and yourself between A and B?

Money does buy happiness especially when wives and kids are involved. Limited money and they will not be happy and you will be miserable.

This plan of yours needs more thought and a healthy serving of reality. If you have never lived anywhere outside the USA, you have no idea what you are in for. If you have lived elsewhere and not in a third world country, double the previous sentiment. Success often depends on one's adaptability.

See you at the bar...

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
$950/month for healthcare?? holyjeezesmotherofgod. Thank God for Tricare.
I second DRdreaming. I'm considering renting a condo myself in the El Cortecito area in the near future. Been to the PC Bavaro area on several occasions, and have generally felt pretty secure. If you eat local, and don't expect do indulge on imports, you may be good to go for grocery budget.
Transport may be an issue. I have boarded the local guaguas and Sitrabapu on occasion, but I couldn't imagine loading your entire crew onto one.
I'll leave you with this; Gf lives in Santo Domingo, and when I come to the DR its usually to the Bavaro area. I make her take the bus to come see me.

Status
Not open for further replies.