Out and about defense ideas.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
This post is going exactly where I feared it would go. Mind you, I like the joking just as well as you guys, but it does not really help.

Maybe we should move it to legal. Just a suggestion.

f.e. I could bring in some real man-eater Malinois I mean the kind that will attack, but also maul any intruder to bits. If you have a dog like that in Belgium, you are in deep trouble. A dog can only attack if the owner is under threat, and only from the front. Most dogs will attack the back as this the safest place to attack. There is the example of an armed robbery in Belgium, where the dog scared the intruder away. While the intruder was running, he jumped into a hole in the garden, as deep as he was tall. The dog mauled the face of the guy. The robber filed a complaint in the Belgian courts and won. The owner had to put the dog down, and had to pay huge damages for the damage to the face of the robber. So how is the legal situation here?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
This post is going exactly where I feared it would go. Mind you, I like the joking just as well as you guys, but it does not really help.

Maybe we should move it to legal. Just a suggestion.

f.e. I could bring in some real man-eater Malinois I mean the kind that will attack, but also maul any intruder to bits. If you have a dog like that in Belgium, you are in deep trouble. A dog can only attack if the owner is under threat, and only from the front. Most dogs will attack the back as this the safest place to attack. There is the example of an armed robbery in Belgium, where the dog scared the intruder away. While the intruder was running, he jumped into a hole in the garden, as deep as he was tall. The dog mauled the face of the guy. The robber filed a complaint in the Belgian courts and won. The owner had to put the dog down, and had to pay huge damages for the damage to the face of the robber. So how is the legal situation here?

A well trained dog under control while walking in the country side or down.. a road like La Mulata appeals to me. Yet taking even the best trained attack dog into Sosua or onto the beach I would not do. Nor could I take my friend with me to Playero, the bank, La Serena and many other places.

Agreed. Such a friend and deterent on a walk on a country road or residential road while under control could work well and have some companionship at the same time. Does the dog fit in my pocket?

Keep them coming with practical and real ideas. Those that YOU do have and use and the why. Along with the where to get and how.

(My out and about dog is blind in one eye so he keeps me going in circles on his leash while he is turning to see his other side.)

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I don't mean to be facetious. I have pepper spray but my problem/dilemna is that in order not to spray myself, I would need to ask the person to stand still or wait a moment. I could have my finger on the spray at all times and maybe then I could use it effectively. My fear is that it'd spray me and/or they'd take it from me and spray me. I'd like something more effective/efficient and count-on-able.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Crossbows? Tasers? Belgian attack dogs?

Really?

Sometimes it really does seem like this site should be renamed ChickenLittle1.com Every day, someone has some woeful story to tell about how bad the DR is.

And now folks want to arm themselves.

Look, use common sense. Don't go into any unknown, isolated or dark places alone. Keep your cash and jewelry at a minimum. Get to know the folks who live around you, and not just as a "me rich expat, you worthless native...except for the cute chicas" one-sided deal.

And leave the guns (which will cost more than the few things that may be stolen) at the gun store. Stuff can be easily replaced; you can't.

Well, maybe some people can. :glasses:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I remember someone here, a long time ago, suggested keeping a can of wasp spray on the night table. The spray shoots up to 20-30' away, and will temporarily blind an intruder.

Never tried it.

AE

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
No one is saying the DR is so bad. The reality is that here you need to take care of yourself. You don't have to go looking for trouble here, it'll find you on it's own. I can't speak for others but I don't have a 'rich expat' attitude and I certainly don't see the 'natives' as worthless. You are foolish is you think that because you are unarmed and defenseless that they will just walk in take your stuff and leave. I'd rather die defending myself than passively taking one in the head.

Really?

Sometimes it really does seem like this site should be renamed ChickenLittle1.com Every day, someone has some woeful story to tell about how bad the DR is.

Look, use common sense. Don't go into any unknown, isolated or dark places alone. Keep your cash and jewelry at a minimum. Get to know the folks who live around you, and not just as a "me rich expat, you worthless native...except for the cute chicas" one-sided deal.

And leave the guns (which will cost more than the few things that may be stolen) at the gun store. Stuff can be easily replaced; you can't.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003

Really?

Good post! We are not talking about "arming" everyone but what personal items work. And REALLY. The D.R. (I live here so the crime rate and type of crime DOES have my concern.)

NOT making yourself a target is number one.
Knowing who is around you and keeping an eye out, awareness, is number two. Waiting and hoping that my friends will help is out the window.

As for the rest? I have "Bob". More then once just exposing him on my hip has had people following me change their minds. "He" is a deterent first but back up second and I hope last.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
From another thread, "Two held up (?) on La Mulata Road".

Suggestions from Givadogahome, Belgiank, Windeguy and myself already there but we felt a new thread should be started. So here we go.

PERSONAL protection that you use while out and about. Are they legal or not? Where can you get them?

I hope to get lots of ideas and hope some are real.

The U.S. and coalition partners were faced with the same dilemma... How to protect from IEDs?? Even a M1A2 Abrams didn't make the cut after getting a good number of them peeled open from the bottom with crude EFPs they learned from Iran. So what to do????

The solution was to send in drones and reduce the number of personnel exposed on watch patrols...

For those in the DR? COMMON SENSE! As listed endlessly here on how to be aware of your surroundings, who you mix with, where you go and what you wear, but most importantly if you see the need to arm yourself here and live in fear of the "crime waves" then do yourself a favor and go back to the safety of where you came from, because this country is not for you...

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
The U.S. and coalition partners were faced with the same dilemma... How to protect from IEDs?? Even a M1A2 Abrams didn't make the cut after getting a good number of them peeled open from the bottom with crude EFPs they learned from Iran. So what to do????

The solution was to send in drones and reduce the number of personnel exposed on watch patrols...

For those in the DR? COMMON SENSE! As listed endlessly here on how to be aware of your surroundings, who you mix with, where you go and what you wear, but most importantly if you see the need to arm yourself here and live in fear of the "crime waves" then do yourself a favor and go back to the safety of where you came from, because this country is not for you...

I guess that I just have to go back to.... you don't live here. Last I saw you live in Miami. IF you are here I'm sure that you are Hold Up someplace safe. You are not out and about.

Having and sharing about personal safety issues IS a major concern in the D.R. and that concern is growning at a very rapid rate.

Just the last weeks posts show alot of crime and most being agressive. I've been here awhile and still learning and sharing.

Not an alarmist. Just wanting to learn and be able to take care of my self and perhaps a few others.

PICHARDO... live as most of us do and where we do before you spout your B.S.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I remember someone here, a long time ago, suggested keeping a can of wasp spray on the night table. The spray shoots up to 20-30' away, and will temporarily blind an intruder.

Never tried it.

AE
Many self-defense pros suggest this because the potential victim doesn't have to be that close to the perp.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Really?

Agreed.

The tasers, etc. are a Plan B...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
" US NEWS& World Report".SEPT.,1ST iSSUE

"Three Effective Means To Protect Yourself From Being "Mugged".
Take one,or all,of the following list with you when walking in high crime areas!
1.Your wife.Leave her as a "decoy",as you "walk" for help!
2.A disgruntled US Postal Service Worker.As the mugger aproaches,you say;"Isn't that your supervisor?"
3.A woman you can trust,with a bad case of "PMS"!
ALL three have the advantage of being "FREE"!..(Well,your wife,"Not So MUCH)

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Is 2 million volts alot in terms of stun gun savagery, I see some are only 35,000 Volts, nice hand grenade manly ones, now 2 million Volts for the women in pink with a little light attached as well, something tells me the odds are stacked uneven here. Any ideas what Voltage is needed to drop a guy without killing him?
Nice stocking fillers for Xmas morning.

I am quite shocked at some of the stuff you can buy over the net in the US, quite crazy $hit as it goes, great stuff, who needs a gun license, although I admit a 70cm cross bow down your pants probably is a little more conspicuous than 9mm revolver.

My wife carries a stun-gun that has 350,000 volts. The crackling noise it makes when fired would scare the crap out of anyone not expecting it. Not to mention the recipient would be on the floor drooling pretty quickly.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
The best protective device is housed between your ears. Use that and you PROBABLY won't need anything else. But it doesn't hurt to be prepared just in case. :)