Out and about defense ideas.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The thread seems to have gone partly out of context. The reason for the thread is to find out if someone did want to boost up on their security, what people have and is legal and how effective and where to get it etc etc. Everyone has a level of intelligence and can use it and knows it is an important aspect of self preservation, no points for pointing this out, but often when faced with someone with very little intelligence all that intelligence in the world is useless. And to consider it sufficient in DR is naive imo. And we all know guns are the dog danglies when it comes to the ultimate in intimidation and last resorts. Great, so how about stranger purchases or inventions, reinforcements and alarms or any other odd preventative measures?
I am seriously considering setting up some blank cameras around the property, you can get them with solar panels on so a light will light up when it gets dark and charge through the day, move around a bit on timers and such like, I think they will be a Xmas addition to the house.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GuZY1RWO2dw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:D

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Wasp Spray for Self-Defense - Urban Legends

Found that about the wasp spray. Not nice if finding out when it is too late... So does it work or not?
The goal is stopping a potential assailant. I doubt someone wants to fight through 20 oz. of neurotoxins aimed at his face to do harm.

The difference is distance. Pepper spray, while effective, has a fairly short range, 6-10 feet, and a cannister is fairly limited. Wasp spray has triple the range and many times the volume. The stopping power comes from inhalation, not pain from the eyes.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
has a fairly short range, 6-10 feet, and a cannister is fairly limited.

That is what I thought but those ones in the gun cartridge apparently go 25' with 7 zaps. Worth the $25 if wasp spray is anywhere near as expensive as Raid and the likes. It cost me about $300 in the stuff to kill about 50 roaches this year, expensive stuff.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
That is what I thought but those ones in the gun cartridge apparently go 25' with 7 zaps. Worth the $25 if wasp spray is anywhere near as expensive as Raid and the likes. It cost me about $300 in the stuff to kill about 50 roaches this year, expensive stuff.
A 20oz. can is under $5 in the states. So two cans and two beers (for the mule) runs about US$15. Not bad at all...

Get a cat and the roaches will disappear...

May 5, 2007
True BEAR deterrent spray, not self defense pepper spray

UDAP Pepper Power Specifications, Spray Ranges and Pricing

I was fooling around with some cops I knew, one as* let off the pepper, you need to be sprayed to understand. It doesn't just burn, it blinds and constricts your airway to the size of a tiny straw and you can't suck enough air to continue a "battle''

All in all, these ideas everyone is posting, most will freeze when confronted by an aggressive robber at night, most of the rest will have their "self defense" weapons taken away and used on them. Surprise is NOT on your side and that wins most initial battles.

If I was going to carry anything other than a gun it would be a collapsible metal baton, those suckers will do some damage and often the "snap" as they deploy will scare an intruder away (I'm not talking a perp with gun or knife, give them what you have if they are armed with lethal weapon) Make sure you get a police/military grade baton, some of the ones sold on the net are about as strong as one of the old automobile collapsible antennas, the real ones lock and extent into each section enough to form and almost solid steel bar and you can get ones with knobs on the end for added weight and "destructive" capability

If I carried anything myself it would be the good old 30" oak nightstick, in the hands of someone who knows how to use it , prodding and pressure points not swinging like a bat, that things is murder, Not too inconspicuous though

Or you could learn to box :) seriously, mental preparedness is the number one choice for self defense

May 5, 2007
The U.S. and coalition partners were faced with the same dilemma... How to protect from IEDs?? Even a M1A2 Abrams didn't make the cut after getting a good number of them peeled open from the bottom with crude EFPs they learned from Iran. So what to do????

The solution was to send in drones and reduce the number of personnel exposed on watch patrols...

For those in the DR? COMMON SENSE! As listed endlessly here on how to be aware of your surroundings, who you mix with, where you go and what you wear, but most importantly if you see the need to arm yourself here and live in fear of the "crime waves" then do yourself a favor and go back to the safety of where you came from, because this country is not for you...

You have any links to those articles? I know a few Abrams have driven over unexploded 155mm Howitzer shells, even 1000# bombs and I don't care if you are driving down the road in USS Missouri a 1000 pounder is going to ruin your day

I have heard of several Abrams being overturned by large IED's killing and injuring crew in the accident, but nothing of being " peeled open" but then again, this is Army/Marine stuff and I miss alot of it, one of the reason I always wanted to fly, no mines in the sky

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I am seriously considering setting up some blank cameras around the property, you can get them with solar panels on so a light will light up when it gets dark and charge through the day, move around a bit on timers and such like, I think they will be a Xmas addition to the house.

IMO, if you start putting up cameras, especially fake ones, you're just making the bad guys think you've got something really worth stealing inside. Might make them look at your place much closer.

Just sayin'

AE

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
at home:
have dogs. big dogs outside, small goggies inside. keep all the door locked at all times (we have normal wooden doors and iron bars, first are open and iron is locked). leave outside lights on day and night.
in a car:
keep car door locked at all times. when arriving home stay inside the car until the gate fully closes (electric gates).
walking:
avoid bad areas, goes without saying. don't wear too much jewelery if you are going to walk (i only wear mine on thips home-car-party-car-home). leave bag at home when possible. when walking carry keys in your hand, you can use them to poke the attacker in the eye.

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
"Three Effective Means To Protect Yourself From Being "Mugged".
Take one,or all,of the following list with you when walking in high crime areas!
1.Your wife.Leave her as a "decoy",as you "walk" for help!
2.A disgruntled US Postal Service Worker.As the mugger aproaches,you say;"Isn't that your supervisor?"
3.A woman you can trust,with a bad case of "PMS"!
ALL three have the advantage of being "FREE"!..(Well,your wife,"Not So MUCH)

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I love #2

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
A 20oz. can is under $5 in the states. So two cans and two beers (for the mule) runs about US$15. Not bad at all...

Get a cat and the roaches will disappear...

I think aerosol cans may be Illegal to transport via air.

Prohibited in carry-on and checked baggage:
Flammable Items: Aerosol (any except for personal care or toiletries in limited quantities)

Anyone willing to hold a lit match up to the Wasp spray?

Don

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Prohibited Items for Travellers

Click Link: Prohibited Items

Even those some items are permitted by U.S. TSA, the D.R. may not allow them into the country.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
IMO, if you start putting up cameras, especially fake ones, you're just making the bad guys think you've got something really worth stealing inside. Might make them look at your place much closer.

Just sayin'

AE

Trust me, EVERYONE knows where the ex-pats live in your area.
Cameras or no cameras, that in itself makes you a preferred target (Rich Ex-pat in their eyes).

IMO, the cameras display that you have taken steps to deter intrusion, what other steps might you have taken?

Many times I observe people walking pass the house and looking at the cameras, even pointing at them.

And then there are some that are just plain stupid. Just this past September a thief stopped at the corner of my yard in the street to rest, not realizing he was being recorded the entire time. The neighbors really appreciated the great video of the thief and the contraband.

Don