owning a shot gun vs a gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ctrob

Breaking and entering is not a capital offense, so you can't just shoot someone with a shotgun for that. You have to confront the intruder and give him a chance to surrender. Now, if he flees at that point, let him go and call the police. If he is armed or lunges at you, shoot.

What happens if the intruder surrenders? You have to call the police. If you were alone in the house when he broke in, you would be in a position of holding the gun at the intruder with one hand and calling the police with the other. Can you effectively point a shotgun at the intruder with only one hand while you do this? I can't. Handgun is better than a shotgun for home defense for this reason.

Short of being locked inside a safe-room, I can't think of any scenario where I would be holding a gun and dialing 911 at the same time.

As to B&E not being a capitol offense, there isn't always going to be time to ask for them to surrender. Or determine if they have a weapon. Mistakes are going to happen. It's a life they chose.

Last edited:
C

Cdn_Gringo

Sorry kcdmps.

In none of my scenarios did I suggest that it is ok to shoot an intruder that does not pose an immediate threat to the owner's safety. Nor did I suggest that a person seek out a confrontation. In fact I specifically instructed people to retreat as far as they can to avoid a direct confrontation. Sure, let the ladrone have the TV.

I also addressed the pistol/shotgun choice for home defense. The sum total of professional advice overwhelmingly recommends a shotgun for home defense purposes. A shotgun may not be right for everyone, but for most it is the easiest and most effective option.

I'll worry about summoning the police with an intruder on the floor when I get to that bridge. I am not at home alone at night very often and my wife is perfectly capable of dialing a phone without my help. I'm not too keen on covering an intruder for what could be a lengthy time frame while the police crawl to my abode. I have the ability to restrain a detained suspect as well as to switch weapons if the situation calls for it.

Pistol or shotgun for the OP and most other people, 99 times out of 100 a shotgun is the better answer. Everyone is free however to make their own determination.

In the DR the costly yearly renewals for a pistol and the trip to Santo Domingo make that an unappealing choice for many. We are specifically talking legal firearms here. You don't stand a chance in court having defended yourself (no matter how justified) with an unlicensed firearm.

J

janlindy

Thanks This gives us alot to think about, much appreciated.:classic:

O

oriole100

Dogs are great, but bad guys just poison them. You don't have to be a great shot with a shotgun. Just sort of point and shoot. You will have to fix things afterwards.

C

cavok

For those that do opt to have a shotgun and also have dogs to alert you to the presence of intruders as well as bars on all windows and doors to delay entry that will give you time to react, one blast of that shotgun out the window will be all the intruders need to hear and they'll be gone. The last thing they want is an armed confrontation.

C

Cdn_Gringo

You're welcome Jan. An even keeled approach is what I am striving for. Ultimately, the chances *are* good that you will *never* have to use a firearm to defend yourself or a loved one in your own home. Doing so, is the last step before you yourself have to raise your hands and plead for your life.

These discussions can veer off course very easily as one person prefers on thing and others something different. It's also not possible to cover every conceivable scenario that someone might find themselves in. There is very rarely a one tool to fit all possible solutions.

"You" can play the odds and have a decent chance of never needing a firearm. Unfortunately, just like winning a lottery, someone's number always comes up and in that moment, as in La Mulata last week, the right tool for the situation could have brought about an entirely different outcome - if legal firearm ownership was an available option for that person and they were able to use that tool of last resort with effect. The gun toting ladrone certainly does not ponder your right to be safe and secure in your own home nor do they expect to be allowed to carry out their thieving without being challenged; otherwise they would not be carrying a firearm themselves.

Legally you are permitted to act in self defense but you will have to demonstrate that you did so in a measured way having exhausted all lesser options first.

W

windeguy

You already have a jittery expatriate community residing within the RD. Some afraid to drive. Some afraid to walk at night. Some afraid to leave their walled compounds, and walk at all. Some just, afraid. Is it logical to arm these people with weapons of death as well?

Of course it is if the person wants to own such a weapon. That is their choice.

C

cavok

Dogs are great, but bad guys just poison them. You don't have to be a great shot with a shotgun. Just sort of point and shoot. You will have to fix things afterwards.

That's why you also need to have a Chihuahua inside the house. Ever notice their ears? They have the best sense of hearing of any dog. They'll give you time to react. That's one of the reasons so many Dominicans have them.

Last edited:
F

Fulano2

For those that do opt to have a shotgun and also have dogs to alert you to the presence of intruders as well as bars on all windows and doors to delay entry that will give you time to react, one blast of that shotgun out the window will be all the intruders need to hear and they'll be gone. The last thing they want is an armed confrontation.

That 's the way to go imho. I had to use our 12 once and they were still out of the patio. Two were gone in no time.

S

SKY

The slowest moving Dominican will look like Jesse Owens at the sound of gunfire...............

C

Caonabo

You must have missed the question:

It's late at night, you are in bed. You awake to the sound of glass braking. You hear the thud of feet hitting your kitchen floor. You leap out of bed, lock your bedroom door. Grab your cell from the night table, call 911 and request help. Help is on the way. You know better than to ask how long? There is a 50/50 chance of help arriving before the summer solstice.

Now what do you do? Grab your machete and wait for the door to swing open? You can assume whomever will be standing there has a weapon of some type. Or do you grab your shotgun and position yourself to send the person standing in your now open bedroom door 15 feet backwards before they can focus and locate you crouching and firing from cover behind your bed?

That's not being afraid. That's being prepared to defend your life when there is no one else around to do it for you. It's not like variations of this scenario do not play out with some frequency. Unfortunately the very same foreigners you suggest should not arm themselves are primary targets of opportunity because they are foreigners and assumed to have good stuff.

I do not expect to ever have to face this situation because I take steps to make it difficult to get into this predicament. However, I am not so naive as to assume that the police can or will arrive in time to save my wife or me. There is a real and quantifiable possibility of facing an armed intruder where I live now and where I will be moving to shortly. I cannot leave the final determination of my fate solely in the hands of an intruder or the police (who not be around at the precise moment their intervention is desperately needed).

This country allows law abiding citizens and legal residents to arm themselves for protection. In part because that is an individual's responsibility when the system cannot provide an alternative resolution in a timely manner.

If the cops can get it done on their own, great. If they haven't arrived yet, well I've got better tools than the ladrones. Just in case.

View attachment 3115

Do you keep a shotgun in each and every room? The scenario provided is ludicrous. If the same invasion occurred as you were washing dishes in the kitchen, what would happen? Ask the invader to please wait while you go into the bedroom and grab your shotgun? More than likely, you would be standing there with steel wool and a caldero of concon to fling at him. Better yet maybe a chancleta or two.

C

cavok

One of your biggest vulnerabilities and threats to your security is someone breaking into your house while you're not there. This happened to a friend of mine on Calle Motocross outside of Cabarete.

He and his wife were gone for the afternoon and, when he returned and went into his house, they were greeted by two thieves at gunpoint waiting in their living room as they opened the door. They had pryed off the bars on a rear window while they were gone. They were forced to open the safe and robbed of their valuables. Fortunately, that's all that happened to them.

Get vibration detectors and mount them by all windows and doors. There are systems that, in addition to setting off an alarm which, in this case, would have probably scared them off since there are houses nearby, will also alert your smartphone of a breakin. This way, you won't walk into your house to be greeted by unwelcome guests by surprise. Don't solely depend on a shotgun for your security.

M

malko

One of your biggest vulnerabilities and threats to your security is someone breaking into your house while you're not there. This happened to a friend of mine on Calle Motocross outside of Cabarete.

He and his wife were gone for the afternoon and, when he returned and went into his house, they were greeted by two thieves at gunpoint waiting in their living room as they opened the door. They had pryed off the bars on a rear window while they were gone. They were forced to open the safe and robbed of their valuables. Fortunately, that's all that happened to them.

Get vibration detectors and mount them by all windows and doors. There are systems that, in addition to setting off an alarm which, in this case, would have probably scared them off since there are houses nearby, will also alert your smartphone of a breakin. This way, you won't walk into your house to be greeted by unwelcome guests by surprise. Don't solely depend on a shotgun for your security.

Dogs over a shotgun for a " well rounded " security system.
Of course dogs + house shotgun+ out-and-about hand gun is even better.

In the above situation, if i cant hear my dogs climbing over each other behind the gate to greet me, i aint even openning the gate. ( until i return with a bunch of neighbours with pitch forks and a can of gasolina, that is ).

D

Don PISTOLAS

Do you keep a shotgun in each and every room? The scenario provided is ludicrous. If the same invasion occurred as you were washing dishes in the kitchen, what would happen? Ask the invader to please wait while you go into the bedroom and grab your shotgun? More than likely, you would be standing there with steel wool and a caldero of concon to fling at him. Better yet maybe a chancleta or two.

This is why I prefer a handgun to a shotgun. Carry a hand with you everywhere at all times becomes secind nature. No different than a wallet or a cell.

However, I would say a handgun for me, and a shotgun with birdshots for the wife is probably the best option!

C

chico bill

Dogs over a shotgun for a " well rounded " security system.
Of course dogs + house shotgun+ out-and-about hand gun is even better.

In the above situation, if i cant hear my dogs climbing over each other behind the gate to greet me, i aint even openning the gate. ( until i return with a bunch of neighbours with pitch forks and a can of gasolina, that is ).

I do the same because when I drive near the house the dog sets off motion lights getting off the porch (he knows the sound of my diesel motor from 100 yards away), and if the motion lights don't come on I will stop 50 yards away.

Dogs will always come to the gate to greet their owners if they have been gone for any time.

In DOG I Trust

C

cavok

Dogs are a "must have" as part of any overall home security plan IMO.

C

Cdn_Gringo

Do you keep a shotgun in each and every room?

That is ridiculous and I sort of take issue with your supposition that firearms owners just wish to shoot people. A well rounded approach to personal security pretty much precludes the possibility that someone will ambush you while doing the dishes. Now as for the cartel sniper on the roof two blocks over, you might have a point. Sorry, gotta go board up my windows...

That said, if you have made an enemy and they wish to kill you I suspect you're done and you won't see it coming. A shotgun for home defense is like the cherry on top of a sundae. If you do not have a cherry you can still have and enjoy a sundae but it's just not quite complete. A cherry might not be important to everyone and that's fine too.

C

Caonabo

As expatriates, why choose to live in a land that is so dangerous you feel the need to be armed with a deadly weapon twenty four hours per day? Constantly on edge is no way to live the golden years.

C

Cdn_Gringo

Why have house insurance when the chances of an insured peril occurring is very low?

Status
Not open for further replies.