owning a shot gun vs a gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Caonabo

That is ridiculous and I sort of take issue with your supposition that firearms owners just wish to shoot people. A well rounded approach to personal security pretty much precludes the possibility that someone will ambush you while doing the dishes. Now as for the cartel sniper on the roof two blocks over, you might have a point. Sorry, gotta go board up my windows...

That said, if you have made an enemy and they wish to kill you I suspect you're done and you won't see it coming. A shotgun for home defense is like the cherry on top of a sundae. If you do not have a cherry you can still have and enjoy a sundae but it's just not quite complete. A cherry might not be important to everyone and that's fine too.

Feel free to take issue with the certainty of my statement, as it is your prerogative to view items as you see fit. Has it not been stated that a firearms owner should be prepared to use it properly if owned? I would assume it would be used to shoot people, and not just mounted as a mantle or talking piece.

C

chico bill

As expatriates, why choose to live in a land that is so dangerous you feel the need to be armed with a deadly weapon twenty four hours per day? Constantly on edge is no way to live the golden years.

Good point and one I am in the mist of reevaluating myself.
It's not just ladrones with walnut sized brains shooting for no reason, but loco drivers and motos looking to cash in should they involve you in an accident due to their outrages and often unlicensed driving.
And the throwing trash everywhere, with no attempt to improve or reeducate the populace.
And the ever changing residency requirements.
It does make one look at the DR with a more introspective eye in their pre-gold or golden years (They aren't so golden).

C

Caonabo

Good point and one I am in the mist of reevaluating myself.
It's not just ladrones with walnut sized brains shooting for no reason, but loco drivers and motos looking to cash in should they involve you in an accident due to their outrages and often unlicensed driving.
And the throwing trash everywhere, with no attempt to improve or reeducate the populace.
And the ever changing residency requirements.
It does make one look at the DR with a more introspective eye in their pre-gold or golden years (They aren't so golden).

Yes, you are correct sir. You would think the little lightbulb would go off for some when you calculate the numbers of Dominican citizens who would do anything to live somewhere else. The easy reasoning is for economic reasons alone. Life's answers/decisions are not always as easy or simple.

W

Wishing you well

As expatriates, why choose to live in a land that is so dangerous you feel the need to be armed with a deadly weapon twenty four hours per day? Constantly on edge is no way to live the golden years.

Very weak reply.

Either substantiate your position or else is arguing just for the sake of it.

Cdn G has made strong points, if you are not (and you seen not to be) on his side of the argument, present your thesis, otherwise it becomes a cheap quibble.

W

Wishing you well

Yes, you are correct sir. You would think the little lightbulb would go off for some when you calculate the numbers of Dominican citizens who would do anything to live somewhere else. The easy reasoning is for economic reasons alone. Life's answers/decisions are not always as easy or simple.

FYI

ChicoBill wasn't agreeing w/you.

;)

W

Wishing you well

Dogs are a "must have" as part of any overall home security plan IMO.

Living as part of a ground level house or apartment, I'll say yes - living on a gated community or second and above level apartments, not so much.

C

Caonabo

Very weak reply.

Either substantiate your position or else is arguing just for the sake of it.

Cdn G has made strong points, if you are not (and you seen not to be) on his side of the argument, present your thesis, otherwise it becomes a cheap quibble.

As is tacking on to a conversation which you were not a part of, which seems to be your norm. I am happy you have found a remedy for your ED, so now feel free to place me on ignore. Have a blessed day.

C

cavok

That's why I live in a condo. No need to be armed and I sleep very well at night.

C

cavok

Dogs are a "must have" as part of any overall home security plan IMO.

Living as part of a ground level house or apartment, I'll say yes - living on a gated community or second and above level apartments, not so much.

I have a friend that lives in Sea Horse Ranch that would agree with you - another who lives in Costa Azul that's right alongside La Cienaga would not.

C

Cdn_Gringo

I would assume it would be used to shoot people, and not just mounted as a mantle or talking piece.

In my case it could absolutely be used to shoot someone, but only if they are in my house, without my permission, threatening me or my wife with a weapon of their own. I'm not Chuck Norris and have no interest in getting into a toss up physical alternation with someone potentially 40 years younger than me.

That is indeed one of the reasons I am a firearms owner, for self defense. There are other reasons to own a firearm but you seem only focused on the shooting people aspect. So straight up, yes, you could be reading about me one day in the DR1 news and when you make a comment, I plan to still around to answer you.

I'm done with this deliberate baiting. The OP has my opinion and she may do as she and her husband feel is in their best interests. In this country they have that choice and it would be daft to not at least consider all of one's security options and review them from time to time.

C

cavok

No comprendo. What does a condo have to do with security?

Almost all condos have armed security as does mine. Also, there's security in numbers. Too many "eyes" in a condominium. As I mentioned before, thieves prefer soft targets. Condos are far less likely to be a target of a robbery than a house.

Last edited:
W

william webster

A easy solution is to move to/live in a more remote part of the country
A no tourist area.
The crime/fear factor diminishes significantly

Why have house insurance when the chances of an insured peril occurring is very low?

I have no house insurance

J

JDJones

I'll mention once again my friend who kept a gun in his house. (He had 4 teenage daughters at the time)

Heard a noise one night in the house, got up with gun in hand and stepped out of his room to find 5 armed young men in his living room.

Things turned deadly in a heartbeat. Final result was a firefight that ended up with him killing all 5.

End of story? Not quite. The families of the 5 delinquents came looking for him. He had to leave the house with only suitcases and hide.

He was the General Manager of a big Free Zone company and they went there looking for him.

They were looking for revenge and money.

The message was clear: Get out of Dodge, and that's exactly what he did.

I for one, am not looking to leave this country, so I'm sticking to passive security.

N

NanSanPedro

Almost all condos have armed security as does mine. Also, there's security in numbers. Too many "eyes" in a condominium. As I mentioned before, thieves prefer soft targets. Condos are far less likely to be a target of a robbery than a house.

Thanks!

W

william webster

I'll mention once again my friend who kept a gun in his house. (He had 4 teenage daughters at the time)

Heard a noise one night in the house, got up with gun in hand and stepped out of his room to find 5 armed young men in his living room.

Things turned deadly in a heartbeat. Final result was a firefight that ended up with him killing all 5.

End of story? Not quite. The families of the 5 delinquents came looking for him. He had to leave the house with only suitcases and hide.

He was the General Manager of a big Free Zone company and they went there looking for him.

I for one, am not looking to leave this country, so I'm sticking to passive security.

Similar story
I have a friend...
Former cage fighter, former LA Bodyguard...6ft plus... muscular... scary guy

He will NOT have a gun or allow his people to have one.
To him, it invites aggression
Eye for an eye, etc

You need to understand the country, the culture, the mindset

Many here , I fear, do not fully grasp the concept

D

Don PISTOLAS

So, He and his Daughters are fine. Sounds like a happy ending to me. Imagine if it had gone the other way!!

Status
Not open for further replies.