Papi's in Cabarete...not my favorite restaurant anymore...

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
I suppose you think its fair to trash a restaurant because three lobsters didn't walk out of the ocean of equal size and girth?

Frank, if you are trying to suggest that i was 'trashing papi's' from my posts then you really are a bit sun/rum-addled :)

Please reread what i said and then maybe post again.

I have been to papis many times before and he has always managed to give me 3 fair-sized langos for my money.
I have worked in the business myself (thankfully no more) and it seems very clear to me that if the langos are small you give more.

Which bit are you failing to comprehend?? I think either you are taking this devils advocate thing way too far or you are El Papi-Nuevo??

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Frank...let me make this clear....I ordered Lanostinos (baby lobsters), NOT langostas (lobsters)...the same thing I have ordered there probably 30 or more times. When you order Langostas a la Papi (which I believe are no longer on the menu) You get ONE lobster...just like every where else. In the past, when you order the langostinos, you would receive 3 to 5 split langostas, depending on their size. The sameness of their size is not in question...they are never the same size. The last 2 times I ordered the dish, I was served three very small LANGOSTINOS. This time I doubt the three totalled a pound. Also, as I pointed out, the sauce was definitely not the same as it used to be, and they no longer give the small "freebies" that they used to give.

I have been in the restaurant business and while most owners appreciate a customer bringing things like this to their attention, it is not the responsibilty of the customer to do so. The last time it happened, I DID bring it up to the owner. He said he believed it was the same portion as always, which is one reason, as I said in my original post, I chalked it up to my imagination. That time they did give the appetizer and mamajuana shots...and the service was fine.

The owner was sitting there when I was served yesterday. It is HIS responsibility to monitor the quality and portions of his food, and the service. We were one of only two tables occupied at the time...not too hard to keep an eye on things.

I posted what I did to inform people of my experience, not to school the owner on how to improve his restaurant.

Last edited:

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Tell me, Malibook, does the subjective guess of 50% less food...where he states "Literally about half of what it used to be" ring accurate to your ears?

Are you suggesting that "literally half," or 50% less food is somehow an accurate description, an objective assessment, an impartial statement?

I'm curious to know?

Frank
Si y si.

Perhaps it was 45% or 40% but I do believe that this was an honest assessment.

Do you have reason to believe that DZ is being less than truthful?
Does he have ulterior motives and reasons for malice?

What about all of the other informed opinions that indicate his was not an isolated experience?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Si y si.

Perhaps it was 45% or 40% but I do believe that this was an honest assessment.

Do you have reason to believe that DZ is being less than truthful?
Does he have ulterior motives and reasons for malice?

What about all of the other informed opinions that indicate his was not an isolated experience?

No, I don't think there was any malice in his statement, no more than when someone comes into the restaurant where i work and says my Salmon or Grouper was smaller than normal, my Martini is weaker than normal, the amount of bread is less, etc. I hear these assessments everyday. What i question is the accuracy of when someone says the portions were "literally half," and then someone else--who was not there--espouses this as if it is a fact!! Unless you and David got out a scale and weighed them, i can't see how someone could come to the conclusion that is was 50% less food.

Furthermore, unless you were there, and re-reading what you've written--i have to assume that you were there by your eagerness to stand behind his subjective assessment of "Half the amount"--i would suggest that you bring up the 50% less portions to the owner directly--regardless of whether or not there were only two tables occupied at the time that you and David sat there together.

Frank

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
What does this have to do with the price of tea in China?

This is to illustrate--in a comparitive manner--that $27 U.S for three lobsters on the beach, in the Caribbean, is a steal whether you live in America, Southern Europe, Northern Europe, or Norway where i reside.

Next question?

Frank

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
What i question is the accuracy of when someone says the portions were "literally half," and then someone else--who was not there--espouses this as if it is a fact!! Unless you and David got out a scale and weighed them, i can't see how someone could come to the conclusion that is was 50% less food.
The point, which obviously went right over your head again, is not the number 50%.
Whether it was actually 40%, 35%, 30%, or whatever percent, it was significant.
Coming from someone who has ordered the dish 30 or so times, it was a dramatic difference regardless of the actual math.

I certainly would have said something, to put it mildly, but the fact that he did not complain does not diminish his credibility in my eyes.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
This is to illustrate--in a comparitive manner--that $27 U.S for three lobsters on the beach, in the Caribbean, is a steal whether you live in America, Southern Europe, Northern Europe, or Norway where i reside.

Next question?

Frank
Your wisdom would be just as relevant for the people complaining about the expensive putas.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com

Next question?

Frank

$27 for three BABY lobsters (less than a pound in total) and a small plate of spaghetti is a "steal"?

I have lived in Cabarete for 7 years, have been to every restaurant on the beach many times, have been to Papi's more times than I can count...Ive also travelled to many parts of the world and I am sorry....you are wrong.

I didn't claim I got sick from their food, I didn't say it was horrible, I didn't complain about the overall prices of Papi's or anywhere else on the beach...why are you belaboring this???

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Your wisdom would be just as relevant for the people complaining about the expensive putas.

Here's the problem i have with subjective guesses and subjective tastes regarding restaurant meals:

1. My salmon is smaller than the last time i was here.
2. My bagel had more cream cheese yesterday.
3. My tomatoe was bigger yesterday.
4. My first drink was stronger.
5. I got more mussles in my dish last time i was here.
6. MY seventh drink was bigger.
7. My last salmon had more meat and less bones.
8. I got more bread last time i was here.
9. Your last manager bought me a free drink.
10. Your busboy gave me a bigger doggie-bag last time.
11. My dish had more garlic last time and i was able to light people's cigerettes with my breath.
12. I want a free drink for reccomending your restaurant.
13. I want a free meal because tonight's meal wasn't the same size as normal.
14. I want a free meal because i've been coming here longer than you.
15. This is not Absolut Vodka in my vodka & cranberry. Yes it is mam...i made it!
16. This wine is corked! But mam, its a screw off top.
17. I want something free because my penis is bigger than yours.

The biggest problem i have with subjective tastes and subjective guesses is that...they're subjective. For every person that dislikes Pappi's signature dish, there is someone who will walk out the restaurant tonight and praise it. One person at table 5 hated it, while the table 6 loved it. But wait, restaurant reality is even more bizarre than this; a table of 6 can have 50% of the people who loved the meal, while 50% of the people found it lacked garlic...had too much garlic...was too creamy...but somehow lacked cream. For every person you find who faults a dish, someone else loved it. this is also true for penis sizes and spouses, but that's another story.

Frank

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
$27 for three BABY lobsters (less than a pound in total) and a small plate of spaghetti is a "steal"?

I have lived in Cabarete for 7 years, have been to every restaurant on the beach many times, have been to Papi's more times than I can count...Ive also travelled to many parts of the world and I am sorry....you are wrong.

I didn't claim I got sick from their food, I didn't say it was horrible, I didn't complain about the overall prices of Papi's or anywhere else on the beach...why are you belaboring this???

Why am i belaboring this? Because if you're meal was this dramatically insufficient as your're making it out to be...why on earth did you not go straight up to the owner--who by your own account was seated directly in your line of sight--and complain? Now tell me, David, what would compel you to pass up a perfect opportunity to air your offense to the owner if in fact you got three lobsters that together did not come to one pound?

If this is in fact as accurate as you're describing it here, why on earth would you allow yourself to be robbed like that without airing your grievance right to the source sitting in front of you: The Owner!

Frank

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Here's the problem i have with subjective guesses and subjective tastes regarding restaurant meals:

1. My salmon is smaller than the last time i was here.
2. My bagel had more cream cheese yesterday.
3. My tomatoe was bigger yesterday.
4. My first drink was stronger.
5. I got more mussles in my dish last time i was here.
6. MY seventh drink was bigger.
7. My last salmon had more meat and less bones.
8. I got more bread last time i was here.
9. Your last manager bought me a free drink.
10. Your busboy gave me a bigger doggie-bag last time.
11. My dish had more garlic last time and i was able to light people's cigerettes with my breath.
12. I want a free drink for reccomending your restaurant.
13. I want a free meal because tonight's meal wasn't the same size as normal.
14. I want a free meal because i've been coming here longer than you.
15. This is not Absolut Vodka in my vodka & cranberry. Yes it is mam...i made it!
16. This wine is corked! But mam, its a screw off top.
17. I want something free because my penis is bigger than yours.

The biggest problem i have with subjective tastes and subjective guesses is that...they're subjective. For every person that dislikes Pappi's signature dish, there is someone who will walk out the restaurant tonight and praise it. One person at table 5 hated it, while the table 6 loved it. But wait, restaurant reality is even more bizarre than this; a table of 6 can have 50% of the people who loved the meal, while 50% of the people found it lacked garlic...had too much garlic...was too creamy...but somehow lacked cream. For every person you find who faults a dish, someone else loved it. this is also true for penis sizes and spouses, but that's another story.

Frank

I completely disagree with a whole number of the points above. Any decent restaurant calculates his dishes. For example, if you order a steak you will get an 8 ounce steak. So you do not expect to get a 6 ounce steak nor a 10 ounce steak.

When you frequently go to a restaurant, you have a right to expect the same quality and quantity in every meal.

You are not talking about tourists here but about loyal customers.

Belgiank

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I completely disagree with a whole number of the points above. Any decent restaurant calculates his dishes. For example, if you order a steak you will get an 8 ounce steak. So you do not expect to get a 6 ounce steak nor a 10 ounce steak.

When you frequently go to a restaurant, you have a right to expect the same quality and quantity in every meal.

You are not talking about tourists here but about loyal customers.

Belgiank

When you order an 8 or 10 or 12 ounce steak, they're pre-cut at a meat factory and then sent to the resaurant already precut, packaged, labeled, and graded by the lean of beef.

Lobsters are not pre-cut. nor are the pre-weighed before catching them. We get them from the same guy. it's up to the chef to assess the weight.

What i would like to know is at Pappi's, is there an advertised weight for the lobster dish? or is it up to the chef to determine how many should fill up the pan or dish that comes to one's table?

Frank

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I don't understand the need for this discussion

DavidZ shared his experiences, after sharing his findings with the owner first time around, point. He found things changed for the worse since his last visit and posted about them on the internet.

My take on this:

Any restaurant is free to charge what they like and to serve what they like. If there is a market customers will come; if their offer is not valued customers will stay away. However, restaurants are bound to the same rules as any business. They must consistently offer the same experience (amount of food; quality; service; etc) for the same price. According to David this is exactly what went wrong.

IF the service offering changes, customers need to be informed by the business owner (new and improved; cheaper; more expensive; whatever) about the changes. This applies to carmakers, pastryshops and restaurants alike.

Specific to the restaurateur:
1. Yes it can be difficult to secure similar items of food each time; a restaurant should offer food on the basis of weight per serving. Not per item if the consistency cannot be guaranteed, this is well known across the restaurant world and one of the basics of calculating profit. To even suggest otherwise shows serious shortcomings in education or lack of respect for the audience.

2. It is a service product; that does not mean that production methods cannot be standardised and quality control goes out the window; use the same amount of ingredients of the same quality, apply the same method, adjust for any external factors and the result is exactly the same (within specific defined tolerances) each time. Consistency is a very big part of judging the reataurant quality.

3. Comparing apples with oranges; I bet a $100 lobster from Franks restaurant would be the same weight each time within a very small tolerance or the plate would be rejected; the temperature and quality of the water in the fish-tank would be closely monitored; the method of preparation would be meticilously the same each time. To suggest the Dominican staff of Papi's would even think to take care of all these steps is "interesting" to say the least, from what I've seen of their methods (yes I've frequented the restaurant).

Therefore a similar experience cannot be guaranteed in each service (as experienced by David). Thusly, the service is not worth the same as those services whereby the first procedure is followed for each and every service and checked by the chef.

A last word for all business. Any customer is entitled to share his experiences on the web; make sure they write something positive about you

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Why am i belaboring this? Because if you're meal was this dramatically insufficient as your're making it out to be...why on earth did you not go straight up to the owner--who by your own account was seated directly in your line of sight--and complain? Now tell me, David, what would compel you to pass up a perfect opportunity to air your offense to the owner if in fact you got three lobsters that together did not come to one pound?

If this is in fact as accurate as you're describing it here, why on earth would you allow yourself to be robbed like that without airing your grievance right to the source sitting in front of you: The Owner!

Frank

I'm done with your idiotic argument. This is not about what I should or shouldn't have done when I was unhappy with my meal. I informed people that I interact with on a daily basis, after previously discussing with the owner.

You seem to get off on espousing ridiculous opinions about trivial issues...especially anything to do with restaurant pricing or service, or the differences between Sosua and Cabarete vs. other locations.

Go back to giving great advice like telling a group of 24 year olds looking for a 4 star resort to stay at a whore house. You really find these posts amusing? They're certainly not helpful, nor interesting to those with the mentality of someone over 14 years old.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
I think it is a great shame that this restaurant has gone down hill. It was consistently the best on the beach for a number of years for seafood lovers.

I hope the owner/manager reads these posts and responds.

Olly

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Merengue dutchie,

I agree completely with every point you make.

However, this does not mean that people do not misconstrue, misjudge, and use completely subjective guesses with their eyes, tastes, and assessments. Again, since i hear this subject guesses and assessments everyday, i will just point a few out of them that make me question people's power of observtion skills. Here is something that happens every single day, in every single restaurant, all around the world.

1. "My drink is weaker than normal." We get this complaint everyday despite the fact that in the restaurant where i work--both in Cabarete and here in Norway--all drinks get measured. every single pour is measured. Here in Norway, every drink gets about 1 ounce (4cl) of alcohol--it is measured by law, and in Cabarete every drink gets 1.5 ounces (where i work) unless it is something like a "Tall drink"--i.e-LOng Island Ice Tea--these get much more alcohol. And yet, Despite everyone being aware of this, people, everyday, complain about their drink being weaker than normal. This dumbfounds me. Every drink is measured, and when i point this out, people seem to disbelieve it even when they are sitting at the bar watching me make the drink!

In the DR and USA, i wish i had a dollar everytime someone said this: "This is not Absolut vodka," or "Grey Goose", or "Bacardi," (subsitute whatever alcohol you like). I'm like, but wait, you just saw me pour the f^&*king drink! What else can it be? Waiters constantly come back to the bar and say "This person claims that their absolut cranberry or absolut tonic (substitute whatever liquor here you want here) is not Absolut." People send glasses of wine back constantly claiming that the wine is "Corked." Again, we serve no wine in the DR that even uses a "Cork!" So, again, people are using subjective tastes.

2. People will complain that their Grouper, Salmon, Trout, etc. is not the same size as previous. Ok, this probably the case, and often, this is a statement of fact, because, well, let's face it, it's impossible to pull out the exact same size fish, lobster, or crab out of the freezer or fish tank every single time someone orders it--especially if its a very high volume restaurant where they are serving hundreds of lobsters, crabs, or fish a night.

This is where i think its very possible that the OP correctly noticed the serving of lobster being less than normal, he perhaps did not give the benefit of doubt to the restaurant where its very hard to be consistent with serving sizes of lobster and fish. And if in fact, the owner told him on a previous occassion when he complained that the servings are the same and nothing has changed, then i have to assume that this is a correct statement and that sometimes you get slightly more, and sometimes slightly less, since they are probably like any other DR restaurant--not exactly fastidious to serving weight and details.

Frank

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Frank, We've eaten there, maybe 40 times. Our problem is the sauce, was much better. The portions are less. I understand about business. This place is so known, I think he could raise the price to keep it on top. People come from POP and all over. If someone come to Cab. everyone recomends, Popi"s. just like O'sheys. I talked to the owner. I' m trying to help. He should raise the prices a little and do it right. Most, not all , nights it's full. I know the torist. are down, but quality brings customers.

torrock

Jun 5, 2006
It use to be, the odd complaint about Papi's was followed by all praise ... now, too many people agree that it's just not the same ... discouraging. I'll probably try it out again the next time I'm there, but maybe not. The sauce is what kept me going back (other places have better service, better views, nicer looking restaurants, etc)