Pedro set to be open to traffic at night!

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Totally agree. I was skeptical that it would make much difference for the businesses but found myself enjoying it and I "think" the businesses that were doing good like Brit before the closing did better after the closing. Basically it appeared to me that the same businesses that were good before (Brit, Elefante, etc.) were good after and the ones that were bad before (Las Flores, Mamajuana) were still bad after.

I always liked Jose at the camera shop but he is way off the mark here. Being able to park cars on the street is not going to help him. He has been trying to sell his businesses for a long time now, since before the closing because business has not been good. The closing of the street did not ruin his business and he knows it.

I'm surprised by Alberto. Their business seemed to still be doing good after the closing. It didn't seem to hurt them. If anything is hurting them it might be the new business behind them with the girls screaming massage right in front of their tables. Lots of guys are looking for that but lots of families aren't looking for it at dinner time and lunch time.

My wife knows the people running Las Flores and even she has told them they need to change. They were empty before the closing and no surprise were empty during the closing and I'll bet will stay empty. When Manny used to be there it was always doing good. Since then it has taken a dive. They have TVs but don't put on sports most of the time and instead put on Dominican News. And they only play bachata. That is great if you are a business in the middle of Charamicos catering to Dominican customers but on PC if you want to bring in tourists you need to do what tourists want.

Mamajuana started out good but has dropped off significantly after the first couple of weeks it was open and that was also apparent before the street closing. So I go back to say that the closing didn't seem to hurt any of these businesses because they were not doing good before the closing.

Jolly Roger is an odd one. They were always full before the fire. I have never been a fan of theirs but I do pass by a lot walking around. If I recall correctly they were doing good after the closing but before the fire. But since the reopening it hasn't been as good. But if they were good before the fire which was after the closing then the closing doesn't seem to be impacting them. It took them a long time to reopen after the fire. Maybe that is what hurt them. Maybe their group of regulars just found something else to do during that time and aren't returning in droves.

It is easy to open a business here. It isn't easy to succeed but it is easy to start. A lot of the people running businesses here have no business sense at all and that goes for Dominicans and foreigners. So I think a lot of people don't always understand why their business is failing when others are succeeding and just look for any excuse to latch on to and maybe this is just a little bit of that. A lot of people may think if they change this then they can hope it will impact their business without really understanding the reasons they are failing.

Also there may be a bit of jealousy involved. If places like the Brit did improve after the closing but other places didn't see any change then the ones who didn't change might be jealous of the Brit and ones who got better and think that they don't want to see anyone else doing better if they aren't going to benefit from the same.

So sorry for Ray who did so much to try to make this work. It would have been nice if it did. Maybe it will change back some time in the future but if it does I think we are just going to continue to see it seesaw back and forth and never get anything permanent. Oh well, I'm just waiting to leave Sosua anyway and will never be back. Been here longer than I wanted to be already but hope to be relocating to Santo Domingo within the next year or two. Of course that will be a whole different set of challenges but I think a lot more fun and certainly a lot more going on.
Great post, I think you summed the situation very well. But I believe you left out one thing. Parcipation, I know the JR. Has not been involved in getting the bands and other activities as an owner should be. Some people aren't team players and only do things when they get all the credit. Sad.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Although I've been quiet on this board about the street reopening....those that know me are aware that I am not being quiet about it in public. We have a meeting with the head of Tourism this friday...he is ****ed and wants to know why the street has been reopened. I want to present to him at least 500 signatures of those who want the street closed again. Here is the online petition. Please sign and share with as many people as possible. Thank you for your support.

Todos a favor al cierra de la calle Pedro Clisante, Sosua 1/18/2015 - Petitions24.com

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Although I've been quiet on this board about the street reopening....those that know me are aware that I am not being quiet about it in public. We have a meeting with the head of Tourism this friday...he is ****ed and wants to know why the street has been reopened. I want to present to him at least 500 signatures of those who want the street closed again. Here is the online petition. Please sign and share with as many people as possible. Thank you for your support.

Todos a favor al cierra de la calle Pedro Clisante, Sosua 1/18/2015 - Petitions24.com

I think they should close it off permanently. Rip up the filthy/broken sidewalks and pavement, put down new surfaces, plant a few trees, some small pole lamps. Find a way to put in a permanent covered pavilion facing PC for dances, movies etc. Re-route the one-way traffic flow so a car doesn't have to always use Rt 5 as part of the town loop. I've got the entire plan in my head, it's just begging to get out.

I think they should close it off permanently. Rip up the filthy/broken sidewalks and pavement, put down new surfaces, plant a few trees, some small pole lamps. Find a way to put in a permanent covered pavilion facing PC for dances, movies etc. Re-route the one-way traffic flow so a car doesn't have to always use Rt 5 as part of the town loop. I've got the entire plan in my head, it's just begging to get out.

Make it happen man!!!

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
the problem with closing it permanently is deliveries. there is no proper loading/unloading area for the businesses, so the trucks have to have street access & as we all know they deliver when is best for them, not their customers

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it is obvious that the street needs to be open at certain times to allow delivery of goods and movement regarding organisation of parties/concerts. not to mention access for emergency (police, ambulance) and maintenance (claro, ladronorte) vehicles. no one suggest to seal the street completely.

an article in noticias pop today: Regidores y comerciantes de Sosua deciden que calle Pedro Clisante no sea peatonal - Noticias POP

you gotta love this: El presidente de la Asociaci?n de Hoteles y Restaurantes de Sos?a y Cabarate, Tom?s Callender, atribuy? el alejamiento del turismo familiar, al hecho de que cuando caminan por las calles son molestados por trabajadoras sexuales.

i don't know how to understand this. so when the families walk around PC they see putas but when they drive they focus on the traffic? or what?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
the problem with closing it permanently is deliveries. there is no proper loading/unloading area

Understood, but not all Pedestrian/Park streetscape settings have rear access for trucks. There are always ways to allow for deliveries in the design.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Deliveries should be made in the morning or afternoon not after 6pm.
It would be nice if not just owners but residents are asked when things are being changed.
It was nice seeing an alive downtown with live music, no horn honking and not just hookers.
What happened to the red light district that was supposed to be at the other end of Pedro Clisante?
Wish you luck on Friday.
Signed.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006

Bump for more signatures!