Pelo Bueno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Actually,my hair is curly,wavy and sometimes I leave it natural and sometimes I prefer to
straighten it.It's just a matter of preference.

Good for you ! I just wouldn't call someone who prefers to wear their hair curly/wavy/kinky a Chia Pet.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Good for you ! I just wouldn't call someone who prefers to wear their hair curly/wavy/kinky a

Chia Pet.

I wasn't talking about myself,I was talking about as to why other women prefer to straighten THEIR hair.I would not say a woman who has curly,wavy hair looks like a Chia pet.

Last edited:

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
This is not a Dominican matter only, I see AA women trying to look like white woman painting of yellow, relaxing their hair and wearing wigs...

Ridiculous!

JJ

They do it because it's convenient or maybe because they like variety in their hair color and texture? Don't know, just saying.

RProch

Nov 17, 2012
The point of this forum was not to judge people or say that straightening or changing hair is wrong. The whole point is the saying "pelo malo." Who is to say that one hair type is better than another? I change my hair color often and own a straightener. The point is not the hair, the point is an ideal image that many woman have of what beauty is. Im not trying to judge Dominican women at all... if you read my original post, I said that I love that Dominican women present themselves well. Im just saying we women need to own the beauty we have been given... in all its diversity.

(no judgement intended)

Dec 26, 2011
Gotta say, Bob. The more I read you, the whiter you get. You're very far removed from the Afro-Latin part of the Dominican culture, or so it seems.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
My son has his father's hair, I guess you could say "nappy". My dad (gringo) still cuts my sons hair everytime we come back.. Dad is 80 yrs old and per my 19 yr old son does a pretty dam* good job.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Gotta say, Bob. The more I read you, the whiter you get. You're very far removed from the Afro-Latin part of the Dominican culture, or so it seems.

What does that mean? Perhaps we see things through different lenses. Mine are clear, I see the color but only one race. You have your unfortunate American history that has given you your views. I am right in the middle of the Dominican culture, not the Afro-Latin culture. The Dominicans I know, am related to, and socialize with are everywhere from pasty white to midnight Black and they all socialize together without any issues on whether they have black, greenm or pink ancestors. There is only a racial problem when you make it a problem. I think for all your years of being here and speaking Spanish that you really don't understand the culture.

Dec 26, 2011
What does that mean? Perhaps we see things through different lenses. Mine are clear, I see the color but only one race. You have your unfortunate American history that has given you your views. I am right in the middle of the Dominican culture, not the Afro-Latin culture. The Dominicans I know, am related to, and socialize with are everywhere from pasty white to midnight Black and they all socialize together without any issues on whether they have black, greenm or pink ancestors. There is only a racial problem when you make it a problem. I think for all your years of being here and speaking Spanish that you really don't understand the culture.

If you think there's no racism in RD you're not paying attention.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If you think there's no racism in RD you're not paying attention.

There racism whenever you get people together that look different from each other. It just no as big a deal in the DR, certainly not in political circles. As NAS has said many times the DR is a classist society.

Dec 26, 2011
There racism whenever you get people together that look different from each other. It just no as big a deal in the DR, certainly not in political circles. As NAS has said many times the DR is a classist society.

I essentially agree. The upper class also just happens to be a certain shade, with few exceptions.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I know a number of the upper class that are certainly not white under the standards that you apply. I also know white Dominicans that are poor as church mice, with out much education or property.

Dec 26, 2011
I know a number of the upper class that are certainly not white under the standards that you apply. I also know white Dominicans that are poor as church mice, with out much education or property.

You're being silly. Just open any Dominican rag with the pictures of the elite and you'll note a glaring absence.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Agreed those models you see, the comunicadoras,(?), dancers (bailarinas) etc..do not necessarily come from the upper class..Actually quite the opposite. You would be surprised where some of them actually come from.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
See what I mean? You're way above the average Dominican.

I'm not quite sure what logic you used to come up with that statement. The average Dominican I know has a hard time scraping up 1000 pesos a month for tuition. I know lots of poor farmers, labourers....etc. Half of my wife's family can't afford 3 meals a day.

Dec 26, 2011
I'm not quite sure what logic you used to come up with that statement. The average Dominican I know has a hard time scraping up 1000 pesos a month for tuition. I know lots of poor farmers, labourers....etc. Half of my wife's family can't afford 3 meals a day.

And that's a shame.

Keepcoming: I'm not talking about models and certainly not dancers. I'm talking about the white, unexceptional-looking, well-dressed, braces-wearing men and women seen in photospreads of the well-off that are out and about at public events. Am I the only one that's consistently seen this type of thing? Blacks are poorly represented at such events unless they're the beneficiaries of some fund-raiser or other type of community outreach program.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
You are wasting your time Pollito.
Bob once said that his wife would be considered Black in the US, clueless :tired:

Status
Not open for further replies.