Pelo Bueno

Status
Not open for further replies.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
And that's a shame.

Keepcoming: I'm not talking about models and certainly not dancers. I'm talking about the white, unexceptional-looking, well-dressed, braces-wearing men and women seen in photospreads of the well-off that are out and about at public events. Am I the only one that's consistently seen this type of thing? Blacks are poorly represented at such events unless they're the beneficiaries of some fund-raiser or other type of community outreach program.

No of course we have all seen them..but looks can be deceiving. In these circles class is determined by skin color not matter how much one does not want to admit that.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You are wasting your time Pollito.
Bob once said that his wife would be considered Black in the US, clueless :tired:

My wife is to the left of the guy in the white shirt: Everyone in the picture is Dominican, except me in the back row. The other guy in the back row is her brother. Directly below her brother is her cousin Carmen who has naturally straight hair. In the front row third from the right is her cousin Elisabeth who has very kinky hair, but straightens it.
I think that you are normally fairly accurate with your comments, but my wife has been to the states many times and she is considered Black there, at least in the NYC area.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3173/2887808891_b0c5122b40_b.jpg

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
It may be the picture/lighting but the only person who would be considered Black by AA in that picture is the woman next to you with the blue satin top.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Someone can be as black as midnight, if they consider themselves non-black, fine with me. Someone else can be as white as snow, if they consider themselves non-white, fine with me. But, mine and their view of themselves does not matter. What matters is how the government or the society of which they are a part of classifies them. When the pohlice comes for you, then let's see how they classify you. Too many of us live with blinders on.We all bleed red when cut.

Haiti is how it is due to dependency, corruption, race, and mis-education. Where Haiti is concerned, the international community is afraid to call it as it is because what needs to be said is not "politically correct". Like it or not, Haiti is tied to the Dominican Republic for better or worse. Black, white, brown, and all in-between have been brainwashed with this color thing. The color thing is a distraction. Money and power talks. Everything else walks.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
rp; Growing up my mom was particularity proud that i had strait hair and almost blond (at a young age) She would comment when she combed my hair in the morning, had i had the other kind of hair..I am sure it would had been a great disappointment for her (and my dad) Is it wrong of them to be that way??? no..that is the way it is in the Caribbean islands. I see foreigners bringing their own infallible value system to us...as you know...beauty is what beauty does..(forest G.)

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
rp; Growing up my mom was particularity proud that i had strait hair and almost blond (at a young age) She would comment when she combed my hair in the morning, had i had the other kind of hair..I am sure it would had been a great disappointment for her (and my dad) Is it wrong of them to be that way??? no..that is the way it is in the Caribbean islands. I see foreigners bringing their own infallible value system to us...as you know...beauty is what beauty does..(forest G.)

Porkman,

I agree with you. Growing up in the Caribbean, I was always told that I had bad hair and it made me wonder why. When it rained, I did not need a blow dry my hair. When it was windy, I did not need to re-comb my hair, so why was it considered bad? Was it bad because it did not misbehave?

It is my belief that this pelo bueno / pelo malo crap was brought in by foreigners. The only bad hair is no hair at all.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Porkman,

I agree with you. Growing up in the Caribbean, I was always told that I had bad hair and it made me wonder why. When it rained, I did not need a blow dry my hair. When it was windy, I did not need to re-comb my hair, so why was it considered bad? Was it bad because it did not misbehave?

It is my belief that this pelo bueno / pelo malo crap was brought in by foreigners. The only bad hair is no hair at all.

Even that has its charm (at least for men)

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
cbmitt, No, foreigners did not bring that concept here, it has been in the islands long before the U.S. existed.
And like you said our society reminded us at every turn.
My brother married a Cuban woman with some African roots, and his boy came out with curly hair, the boys mother never let his hair grow..ever, so you could not tell. It was a sensitive subject and I never mentioned it.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
cbmitt; Also, as a kid i heard a million times ay q nino rubio tan lindo, my mom always make me wear an ojos malos amuleto pa los malos ojos.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It may be the picture/lighting but the only person who would be considered Black by AA in that picture is the woman next to you with the blue satin top.

That is not been there experience. The majority of the people in that picture have either lived or visited the USA and they are not considered white by either Americans or the American government. You are however entitled to your opinion.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
That is not been there experience. The majority of the people in that picture have either lived or visited the USA and they are not considered white by either Americans or the American government. You are however entitled to your opinion.

I agree with you,from looking at the picture,the majority are considered black in the USA.Even if a person
is 99% white and 1% black,that person is considered black.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I was born with pin-straight very dark brown hair. And not too much of it. My brother was born so blonde it was almost white [they called him a towhead back then]. I spent my childhood hearing how beautiful his hair was and how my mother wished she had that color. She thought my hair was terrible, and starting at a very young age I had repeated perms to give me curls. I'm talking about when I was only about 4-5.

So my pelo bueno wasn't so bueno in our family. And blonde was definitely better.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

PS. His hair darkened to dark brown by the time he was a teen, and now he's half-bald. My hair is now dark blonde and it got curly after I had kids. Go figure

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
maybe if they had hair like art garfunkle some people here may have a different opinion on straightening

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

I didn't say that they would be considered White either, but in cities like NYC, they would be considered....LATINOS !!!!!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I didn't say that they would be considered White either, but in cities like NYC, they would be considered....LATINOS !!!!!!

Since when is NYC all of the USA? The media and the entertainment industry I don't think agree with you. So based on your assessment would they be Afro-latinos?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Since when is NYC all of the USA? The media and the entertainment industry I don't think agree with you. So based on your assessment would they be Afro-latinos?

My wife is to the left of the guy in the white shirt: Everyone in the picture is Dominican, except me in the back row. The other guy in the back row is her brother. Directly below her brother is her cousin Carmen who has naturally straight hair. In the front row third from the right is her cousin Elisabeth who has very kinky hair, but straightens it.
I think that you are normally fairly accurate with your comments, but my wife has been to the states many times and she is considered Black there, at least in the NYC area.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3173/2887808891_b0c5122b40_b.jpg

You are the one who mentioned it !!!!!!!!!!! :bored:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.