Police brutality of a tourist: Police almost killed me if I didn't have my camera

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
As if we believe the cops went after him because he was filming....smh. BS..

That is exactly what happened, did you not watch the video?
At one point in the video even sounds like the cop calls him a snitch,
as if Mr.YouTube were recording an incident they did not need evidence of.

If you are trying to somehow imply the cops would have approached him in
broad daylight like this if he were just walking down the street without a
camera in his hand pointed directly at them... Give me a freaking break..

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

I agree with post #38

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

With everything that is going on with Haitians and repatriations and street protests (not to mention gruesome crimes with Haitian perpetrators) I wasn't surprised at all to see a cop grab him while he was filming other cops in the street.

And to a Dominican cop, he looks about as Haitian as you can get.

jpblan2001

Jun 23, 2014
I've been to jail here in Santiago couple times for minding
my own business walking down the street. (always at night)

There are a few posters on here who will swear on their mother's graves
I must have done $$$omething wrong in order for the PN to
throw me in a cell for the night. No point in crying over spilt
milk. No doubt most of them are indeed dirty.

Dominicans in general, especially in poorer barrios do not like
cameras in public. Why this guy felt the need to film a corrupt gang
of thugs is beyond me. This should serve as a strong warning to
anyone thinking about doing the same.

Welcome to Wonderland!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what this guy does for a living, he films tourists locations all over the world. He mainly shows tourist destination if a good light, this is the first time I have seen him criticizing a nation. He was in several other cities in the DR (Punta Cana, Boca Chica). My experience with the Dominican police has also been bad. I have always been courteous because some are no beterr than thugs and you are in a weak position as a foreigner. A bribe was always requested even when some Dominican wronged me. It's part of the foreigners have ample funds attitude.

Apr 7, 2014
I watched the video and read the comments too. I recognize the guy from videos he made for Bogota Colombia. Never did I see drama created for the sake of a video. He usually interviews consenting adults on camera about local life food dating.
Prior to his arrest I did not see anyone’s face on camera as he seemed to just be passing by with the camera rolling. Tourists do this everyday in every country. If he was photographing “anyone” I sure did not see it. Definitely a raw deal based on an incorrect Haitian assumption Imho.

Marwa now should know that a pair of Google glasses is worth the investment. He got arrested because he exposed the incompetence of the municipal police officer who created an accident by driving into the rear of his colleague's vehicle. If he were to upload this video many people would know the dude driving the 2nd car was not attentive. And this is par for the course because many people cannot learn to be great motor vehicle operators because no one in their family may even own a car. The municipal police thought that he was just some "filthy Haitian" with his not distinctively domestic Spanish so abusing him was an easy task.

Next time with a pair of the Google glasses it will allow him to record and interview without an issue or concern, discretely and indiscriminately.

Apr 7, 2014
And his "first world" way of thinking got his "first world" ass checked real quick didn't it?
You think these cops in Santiago give a damn about what happens in first world countries?

Besides, choosing to walk past a stationary camera attached to the outside of a building and
having one pointed directly at you by another person ain't the same thing. Far as I'm the
cop's response was appropriate. I mean after all, they're just a bunch a thugs anyway..

Marwa is from Kenya. Kenya isnt a 1st World country in any recent determination I have heard.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
In his latest video he really attacks the Dominican Republic. But he's wrong about it being a black thing because African Americans have it easy here. He doesn't understand that its because he looks Haitian while recording the corruption of the police.

Last edited:

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
So is that a police precinct in the video? The police uniform and patch/insignia is legit? We see a camera getting covered up. Then the next scene he is in a precinct and they allow him to turn his camera back on where he says "look this guy is beating for no reason" and the guy slaps him on the back or something. Looks staged.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In his latest video he really attacks the Dominican Republic. But he's wrong about it being a black thing because African Americans have it easy here. He doesn't understand that its because he looks Haitian while recording the corruption of the police.
His hair style looks unkept (it isn´t neat or cut) to the typical Dominican eye and that certainly doesn´t help. Well kept hair and nicer looking clothes plus walking around with greater confidence (this last part is probably the hardest for him to do) would had given him a different experience. In a country like the DR you have to take control of how other people treat you and those are major ways of doing that before going outside. If you look like an unkept bum, people will treat you like one.

Right now he´s probably flooded with emotions, so don´t expect for him to listen to anything anyone else say. He might open up once he´s calmed down.

He simply had a bad trip.

Apr 7, 2014
So is that a police precinct in the video? The police uniform and patch/insignia is legit? We see a camera getting covered up. Then the next scene he is in a precinct and they allow him to turn his camera back on where he says "look this guy is beating for no reason" and the guy slaps him on the back or something. Looks staged.
Policia Municipal de Ayuntamiento de Santiago.
Its like NJ Home Rule. You get a bunch of idiots and give them patronage jobs and you now have your own personal legalized gang.

The Thermoquad Cowboy

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
His hair style looks unkept (it isn´t neat or cut) to the typical Dominican eye and that certainly doesn´t help. Well kept hair and nicer looking clothes plus walking around with greater confidence (this last part is probably the hardest for him to do) would had given him a different experience. In a country like the DR you have to take control of how other people treat you and those are major ways of doing that before going outside. If you look like an unkept bum, people will treat you like one.

Right now he´s probably flooded with emotions, so don´t expect for him to listen to anything anyone else say. He might open up once he´s calmed down.

He simply had a bad trip.

Human Rights Chart, article 9, paragraph 3, alignea c :

" If your hair is unkept State Security can slap you up a bit ".......... " looking like a bum warrants captivity for as long as it takes for one not to look like a bum anymore "........... " unruly hair and bum appearance is decided exclusivly by local self-nose-picking police officers in mouldy rooms "

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
....appearance is decided exclusivly by local self-nose-picking police officers in mouldy rooms "

..half of which couldn't pass a drug test or recite basic statutes if you paid them to.

philosopher

Jul 7, 2010
The Dominican country is still very backward and corrupt on every level. One should exercise caution when visiting.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
This is again someone who has grown up in the utopian US without an understanding of the issues that people face around the world.

The world is not a nice place, if you dont look the part of a decent person you are treated poorly.

Suing the Dominican police is one of the funniest things that I have ever heard !!

Hopefully he will learn how to project himself when he grows up

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This is again someone who has grown up in the utopian US without an understanding of the issues that people face around the world.

The world is not a nice place, if you dont look the part of a decent person you are treated poorly.

Suing the Dominican police is one of the funniest things that I have ever heard !!

Hopefully he will learn how to project himself when he grows up

this is about the time when rfp tells us what is utopian about the USA.

fire away, rfp. be specific..

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Bingo!

This young woman explains it very clearly, albeit she´s explaining that when she lived in the USA she could go to the bank very dressed down and get great service, yet now that she lives in Haiti she can´t leave her house dressed down because people are treated according to their appearance.

It doesn´t get any clearer than that (she starts on the subject at 1:35 until about 2:48).

[video=youtube;32WY3Ic8B5Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32WY3Ic8B5Y[/video]

This also reminds me that the guy visited the DR, then went to Haiti, but once in Haiti decided to end his Haitian visit short and almost immediately went back to the DR. I´m not sure if what made him return to the DR so quickly was the conditions he found in Haiti or maybe he didn´t like that there aren´t as many lighter skin women, considering that from his videos he appears to like to sleep with women that don´t look african. Whatever it was, he hardly spent any time on that side of the island.

Anyway, people get treated however they present themselves. Look like a bum, you get the bum treatment. Look respectable, you get better treatment. If you are videotaping everyday women walking down the street and someone notices this, guess what type of treatment you will get in this day and age of creepy people with cameras putting all sorts of videos online.