Police brutality of a tourist: Police almost killed me if I didn't have my camera

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
this is about the time when rfp tells us what is utopian about the USA.

fire away, rfp. be specific..

Or about the time Don___ and Hardtimes___ scold me for telling
the truth about these corrupt scumbags. Heads up COP LOVERS, the
truth hurts :cheeky:

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
This is again someone who has grown up in the utopian US without an understanding of the issues that people face around the world.

The world is not a nice place, if you dont look the part of a decent person you are treated poorly.

Suing the Dominican police is one of the funniest things that I have ever heard !!

Hopefully he will learn how to project himself when he grows up

You're not reading this thread at all he's Kenyan

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
Anyway, people get treated however they present themselves. Look like a bum, you get the bum treatment. Look respectable, you get better treatment. If you are videotaping everyday women walking down the street and someone notices this, guess what type of treatment you will get in this day and age of creepy people with cameras putting all sorts of videos online.

I don't get why ppl want to gloss over the importance of one's appearance. Perhaps I am wrong, but many first-worlders (and even 2nd worlders), intentionally or not, have this snarky attitude in which they feel they can dress how they please based on where they're from and then suffer embarrassing moments, or, in layman's terms, a reality check. A Colombian colleague of mine that recently visited DR for a friend's wedding was upset that he was stared down and noticed ppl commenting about him because he decided that because he comes from NYC it was okay for him to go to an upscale restaurant in the DR in flip flops and beach shorts; Needless to say, he had to go back and change attire rather quickly.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
JenMar
I just got a few dislikes in another thread for citing a common belief about certain travelers .

You mention flip/flops & shorts... true
Hawaiian shirts, camera dangling around neck, cigar and straw fedora...

what comes to mind ??

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I don't get why ppl want to gloss over the importance of one's appearance. Perhaps I am wrong, but many first-worlders (and even 2nd worlders), intentionally or not, have this snarky attitude in which they feel they can dress how they please based on where they're from and then suffer embarrassing moments, or, in layman's terms, a reality check...

I live down here. I dress however I feel like dressing as often as I please
and its NEVER been a problem. Though I would advice against walking into
an upscale restaurant in flip flops and beach shorts in any country.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Do you notice things are a bit different in the Capital?
Not quite so casual ?

Even Santiago can be a bit ‘spiffier’

IMO

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017

I am from there. Born and Raised in the culture. I know for a fact that dressing down at the wrong place and at the wrong occassion is heavily frowned upon in Dominican society. Even here in NYC, proper attire for the right place and occassion is required. Some places will not allow you into their establishments if you're wearing sneakers, for example. If you dress however you please and it's never been a problem in the DR, then I assume you haven't dressed like a bum and gone into an upscale setting.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Sneakers are for sporting, and should be totally forbidden on the streets. Same for shorts and baseball-caps.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I am from there. Born and Raised in the culture. I know for a fact that dressing down at the wrong place and at the wrong occassion is heavily frowned upon in Dominican society. Even here in NYC, proper attire for the right place and occassion is required. Some places will not allow you into their establishments if you're wearing sneakers, for example. If you dress however you please and it's never been a problem in the DR, then I assume you haven't dressed like a bum and gone into an upscale setting.

Well the OP was walking down a dusty street in santiago, he wasnt having cupcakes at the Ritz.......so no dinner suit de rigueur. ;)

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Not to take shots at your beautiful home land but
for the right amount of $$$ I could walk into most
places down here bare foot.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I don't get why ppl want to gloss over the importance of one's appearance. Perhaps I am wrong, but many first-worlders (and even 2nd worlders), intentionally or not, have this snarky attitude in which they feel they can dress how they please based on where they're from and then suffer embarrassing moments, or, in layman's terms, a reality check.
They see themselves as nonconformists, trendesetters swimming against the tide; ironically, they are dressed like a gazillion other gringos.