Police Killed and stations over run

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Gang warfare in three zones of PauP

HarpB

Aug 31, 2012
Hi, I have been in CAP about to head out on vacation. Actually work In Labadee. In CAP currently
Business as usual almost pre-pandemic. Fuel has been an issue in town due to the turmoil in PAP. I have been told
By my colleagues in PAP yesterday was very rough. Beside the violence much looting was going on. CAP has it’s moments
But usually 1-2 days of protests. Labadee fortunately secluded down a winding road normally isolated.

• Love
Reactions: mountainannie

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Hi, I have been in CAP about to head out on vacation. Actually work In Labadee. In CAP currently
Business as usual almost pre-pandemic. Fuel has been an issue in town due to the turmoil in PAP. I have been told
By my colleagues in PAP yesterday was very rough. Beside the violence much looting was going on. CAP has it’s moments
But usually 1-2 days of protests. Labadee fortunately secluded down a winding road normally isolated.

Yea I have been there. It's an effort to get to it, but it is beautiful.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Google translate from the posted article - (should you wish more - you can also just enter paragraph by paragraph into Google Translate)

"Along a route of more than ten kilometers, between Martissant and Zorange and at least 3 kilometers inland, the gangs, mostly those of the G-9, have tightened the noose around the warehouses, factories , ports and at least one of the country's two oil terminals, in Varreux.
Two weeks ago, in the heart of this perimeter, in Cité Soleil, these gangs overthrew all the branches of the Haitian National Police, from Duvivier to the Hasco crossroads. Like a metastatic cancer, the bandits are spreading, gnawing away almost the entire shopping center of old Port-au-Prince. They enveloped low Delmas and Bel-Air. In Bel-Air, an emblematic district, Krache Dife, member of G-9, practiced the policy of scorched earth, like fierce dragons. Atrocities have become news items.
In this pool of people and businesses that spans hundreds of hectares, the law of the strongest prevails. Earlier this week, the airport road, where there is a high concentration of vehicle dealers, commercial bank branches and businesses, was battered by gangs. Their chef, Jimmy Chérizier, alias Barbecue, had given the signal for dechoukay on social networks. The Behrmann Motors house was attacked. The showroom of this concessionaire, which has been in Port-au-Prince for more than half a century, was riddled with bullets."...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Those COVID masks make it Very Convenient for Gang members to not be recognized... NOT that it would matter. Since - by reports - there are more gangs than police now operating in PauP - and the gangs have better weapons. One source says that gangs were originally equipped and paid by various government factions. Then the gangs started fighting amongst each other. BBQ is the largest leader - but he has opposition. There was a group organized by him (and reports are also at the behest of government to make it easier to negotiate ) into a group known as G9.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
It appears from this photo that 1) the binational markets are still open 2) Haitians have no idea how to wear Covid masks & 3) the international community is disinclined to send more aid money to Haiti -- Haiti is evidently on the list to get Vaccines - & reports are that COVID cases are on the rise, hospitals are overrun/ However, my best Haitian source says the "For Haitians, COVID does not exist". Since only 4% of their population is over 65, and they live with the specter of death every day, and have a firm belief in the afterlife, & life for them is a constant struggle, I suspect that none are quite as afraid as dying as most of us.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Haiti has leaders?

Ones that are not the leaders of gangs?
Yes - Officially it has an elected President, who has a Cabinet and is ruling by decree. The gangs, BBQ & the G9, were thought to be armed originally by forces in the government bu now they are more powerful.

I assume that you were being facetious and I find snark in the face of such a crisis to be, at best, immature.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Here is the link to both the first and second drafts of the proposed new constitution. The first draft is translated into English. The second draft is only in French & Kreyol. Moise has announced that there are now 45 days for comments before the referendum. There appear to be some improvements over the existing 1987 constitution - such as including the diaspora as 10% of the seats in the Assembly and eliminating the requirement against dual nationality for them, eliminating the Senate so that there is simply one legislative body - and thus fewer elections -(Perhaps Haitians do not agree on this - this opinion is just my own) - Stating quite clearing that Government officials may/will stand trial for crimes (not related to official duties) after their term is completed, and are prevented from holding any profession except teaching.

French is only my second language and I did not spend a lot of time comparing this proposal with the existing constitution- from 1987 - relied a bit on other commentaries... I am awaiting comments from my friend who is highly placed in the opposition.. (and hoping as well that THEY take these 45 days to actually COMMENT rather than simply encourage the chaos on the streets with people who clearly can not possibly understand the subtleties of the Constitution carrying signs against it)

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Haiti has leaders?

Ones that are not the leaders of gangs?
You Sir are a realist. All the other posts are feel good window dressing. Robberies, Kidnappings, Rape and rampant diseases. Even Jimmy Carter forgot about that place.

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy