poor quality of goods being sold in d.r.???

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
it is decent, tastewise, but i have no idea what is in it. just stay away from the ones which are not allowed into the USA because of fecal content which exceeds acceptable limits. the local press would not identify them, because the businessmen gave them their marching orders.

Fecal matter? After reading this Gorgon I may take out an AD to sell the one I just bought that's in my fridge... paid 189 pesos.. Yuk!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
With the salami just as with the original article about unsafe products...no products named so no way to know what products are being referenced. That's not particularly helpful or informative.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Being a Govt Union Supporter Im surprised you didn't hand out parts of your tax payer paid pension... jaja

Perhaps you should look into how much pension contributions are for government workers. I get all my medicine here in the DR for my heart and they work as advertised. I monitor my heart and see a cardiologist monthly and he agrees that the meds work fine. So yes there are plenty of fakes, apparently, but I have no problem getting the real thing.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
we buy lots of goods in america or europe. cosmetics, clothes, shoes, some meds, all is bought during vacations or shipped. now we also bring barrels of household stuff like cans, washing up powder and so on. the quality of only a part of the reason why we do it. there is also a question of price, choice and availability.

My wife buys all her creams in Canada, shoes as well.

Apr 7, 2014
tell us if you got those Yamahas in the DR. if you ever run across anything with tubes, please alert me...
Yep, there is a PC store in Santiago that had one of those old.school Onkyo monster receivers in the window.

And my friend in Santiago who is head training nurse for a small community hospital had a Kenwood KR-9600 sitting on her floor in her house. When I told her that was a $500 receiver in normal shape and $1000 in perfect shape they didnt know what to say.

His Royal Majesty, Lord Belly Button Kidney Bean, House of Donkey Kong

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yep, there is a PC store in Santiago that had one of those old.school Onkyo monster receivers in the window.

And my friend in Santiago who is head training nurse for a small community hospital had a Kenwood KR-9600 sitting on her floor in her house. When I told her that was a $500 receiver in normal shape and $1000 in perfect shape they didnt know what to say.

His Royal Majesty, Lord Belly Button Kidney Bean, House of Donkey Kong

the 9600 is a beast which weighs nearly 70 lbs, and is a great piece. it is still a transistor thingy, though.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Its not only greed of retailers but stupidity of consumers that enable the products to be literally sh!t. I have had Dumbinicans throw out huge bottles if Costco painkiller products because it may be a month outdated. "No serve" they say. But they will pay the local pharmacy a very high price for a couple of individual pills never checking dates. People get the govt they deserve and the products they deserve as well.

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
That isn't true. You only need to prime dirty pvc piping, NOT brand new pvc.
Straight pvc cement on new pipe is proper.

That is not true, you HAVE to degrease new PVC in order to have a proper pressure proof connection. I don't understand why 90% of people always want to finish things with the least amount of effort... do things right thefirst time!

maybe it's because i'm european...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
That is not true, you HAVE to degrease new PVC in order to have a proper pressure proof connection. I don't understand why 90% of people always want to finish things with the least amount of effort... do things right thefirst time!

maybe it's because i'm european...

not because you are European, I do the same because that's what is required, clean joints, whether it's PVC , copper....etc.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Best practice for gluing PVC/ABS plastic pipe:

1: Smooth straight cuts with a fine toothed saw
2: Debur both ends of the pipe with sandpaper, wipe clean
3: Apply primer to surfaces to be glued, wait 10-15 seconds
4: Apply glue, evenly and completely to both surfaces to be joined
5: Join both pipes together, wipe away excess seepage
6: Have a beer, job well done

Feel free to skip any step (1-5)you want. Your connection will not be as strong or leak proof as it could be. If you choose to skip one or more steps, step 6 is no longer required.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Best practice for gluing PVC/ABS plastic pipe:

1: Smooth straight cuts with a fine toothed saw
2: Debur both ends of the pipe with sandpaper, wipe clean
3: Apply primer to surfaces to be glued, wait 10-15 seconds
4: Apply glue, evenly and completely to both surfaces to be joined
5: Join both pipes together, wipe away excess seepage
6: Have a beer, job well done

Feel free to skip any step (1-5)you want. Your connection will not be as strong or leak proof as it could be. If you choose to skip one or more steps, step 6 is no longer required.

Perfect, but I would tweak your #5 with a quick twist of the pipes to assure 100% glue spread. May not be needed if glue applied correctly but a habit of mine.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I had an intresting experience with a family member, who needed an asprin/paracetamol for his headache.
So I give him a 250mg neurofen pill, that works just fine.
He says 250 mg !! I take 2 1000mg pills from the local colmado....
I think, mmmmh
I get him a 1000mg " dafalgan "...... he couldnt walk straight afterwards :) :)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
frank r,

A little bit of DIY knowledge can go a long way especially when you are watching the pool guy do it wrong just before he buries the pipes 4 feet under ground and installs the deck stones...:squareeye

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
well, if someone is praising US food standards as great in comparision to those of DR...
i'm scared what are the food standards of DR then...
I remember one blogger girl who was writing how great DR burgers are sold on the street...damn...I wonder what burgers she ate if those from DR seem to be great for her...
it is decent, tastewise, but i have no idea what is in it. just stay away from the ones which are not allowed into the USA because of fecal content which exceeds acceptable limits. the local press would not identify them, because the businessmen gave them their marching orders.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Its not only greed of retailers but stupidity of consumers that enable the products to be literally sh!t. I have had Dumbinicans throw out huge bottles if Costco painkiller products because it may be a month outdated. "No serve" they say. But they will pay the local pharmacy a very high price for a couple of individual pills never checking dates. People get the govt they deserve and the products they deserve as well.

I don't care for the word "Dumbinicans."

However, locals will buy food at Playero that is two years past the sell-by date because it is en venta. Go figure.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Yup. "GREAT" quality here.

The chair in the photo was nearly brand new and was in a spare room not being use. I decided to take it out to the porch and enjoy a comfortable, relaxed rest in the cool morning breeze. As I sat down I heard a "crack", moved a little and then another "crack". I got up and looked and the chair had broken at the arm and the top back. I took 2 fingers (On the same hand) and was able to break the other parts with almost no pressure.

The chair has NEVER been out in the Sun since we bought it. I thought the chair was sturdy and strong, not like the ones one normally see here in the D.R.

Nothing's sacred here!!!!!!

2mz2q8.jpg