poor quality of goods being sold in d.r.???

donP

Dec 14, 2008
To a limited extent only

...The chair in the photo was nearly brand new and was in a spare room not being use.
The chair has NEVER been out in the Sun since we bought it. I thought the chair was sturdy and strong...

I don't know what this climate does to plastic.
I always thought it's the salitre air, but you live far from the sea, so it must be something else.

I had plastic set squares and curve templates, dating from my school years.
Here I had kept them in my desk drawer.
They all lost their transparency (got milky) and literally crumbled apart.

I guess, only hard wood and high grade stainless steel survives this place.
Human beings?
Only to a limited extent... :rolleyes:

donP

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
This is clearly a matter of operator error. Had you read the 98 page instruction manual that comes with this device you would have noted that taking the chair from an arctic like climate controlled environment indoors and immediately putting it to use outdoors in operating conditions approaching Hades is the summer, will cause it to shatter like glass. :)

Either that or you failed to notice the warning sticker that was removed prior to sale that clearly states this device is not intended for the general purpose that you think it is and comes with a max load capacity that is limited to that of a six year old; provided that six year old user chooses not to lean back beyond 20 degrees or adjust their weight distribution while seated.

An adult sitting in a plastic chair! Especially one that has not been properly conditioned to bear a load, what were you thinking?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
We may be related, haha. I have boxes and boxes of bandaids in DR, tubes and tubes of neosporin, etc. Gauze, peroxide, the whole 9 yards. We go to Sam's Club and buy the giant ibuprophen, benadryl, rash creams, etc. to take down.

I do it out of necessity of living in the middle of nowhere with no farmacia in town. I knew our caretaker was fascinated by my bandaids when he cut his leg [I happen to grab a box that had the antibiotic ointment already embedded in the bandage part], but I didn't realize why until I read your post.

People who say 'you can buy anything you need in DR' just don't understand the quality difference.

always wondered why a friend of mine was amazed when i gave a full box of good band aids....i know how important they are when kids are involved...ha ha ha

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
The Chair broke not because its Made of Plastic, but because its Made of 100 % RECYCLED Plastic from many unknown sources.. Just because you can RE MELT plastic instead of using New or virgin Plastic Pellets (the Right way, see AliBaba for Prices per TONNAGE) .and inject it into a Mold does not mean it will have the structural Integrity for someone to SIT on. Look up Plastic Recycling videos.. Poor people in China make a living gathering plastic from Dumps, to sell to the manufacturers. who them melt it all down. and that chair is the end result.
A family member was in the tool and Die / injection Mold business and i also worked in the trade a brief while , and he laughs when he sees these cheap chairs & other "plastic" products
.. you want cheap,, you got cheap... Same as the " chrome" plating on kids bikes, which RUST when left out in the rain just ONCE.. Probably like 1 micron of Plating, and recycled Metal underneath with not much Nickel plating under and definitely no Copper strike first ( the right Plating method) .. Same quality standards..
So dont blame the DR... blame the DEMAND for super cheap prices which floods the Market with Garbage like this..
Those "chairs" are not even worth the cost it took to SHIP them on a Container.. they are literally made with Garbage Plastic.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The Chair broke not because its Made of Plastic, but because its Made of RECYCLED Plastic from many unknown sources.. Just because you can RE MELT plastic instead of using New or virgin Plastic Pellets (the Right way, see AliBaba for Prices per TONNAGE) .and inject it into a Mold does not mean it will have the structural Integrity for someone to SIT on. Look up Plastic Recycling videos.. Poor people in China make a living gathering plastic from Dumps, to sell to the manufacturers. who them melt it all down. and that chair is the end result.
A family member was in the tool and Die / injection Mold business and i also worked in the trade a brief while , and he laughs when he sees these cheap chairs & other "plastic" products
.. you want cheap,, you got cheap... Same as the " chrome" plating on kids bikes, which RUST when left out in the rain just ONCE.. Probably like 1 micron of Plating, and recycled Metal underneath with not much Nickel plating under and definitely no Copper strike first ( the right Plating method) .. Same quality standards..
So dont blame the DR... blame the DEMAND for super cheap prices which floods the Market with Garbage like this..
Those "chairs" are not even worth the cost it took to SHIP them on a Container.. they are literally made with Garbage Plastic.

absolutely right about the cheap crap. i remember a guy importing a quad from China, and you could almost watch the thing rusting while it sat around. i don?t think he got a year out of that piece of crap.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Those particular chairs run about $900 pesos or more, each.
They are the good ones..... :laugh: lol

AND TO THINK i WAS ABOUT TO BUY 2-3 MORE.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
My main concern is about medication and food.

You can locate a new chair in about five minutes. A new liver, not so much.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There are a lot of different brands of these chairs on the market, and a few are produced here. Some of them are incredibly flimsy.

The best plastic chairs I've seen are the brown ones that have a "thatched" design molded into the seat.

the ones that Presidente gives away are not that bad. the white things are useless.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
ABC to US. DEF to DR.
I posted several posts in facebook with that title.
Man how I miss some quality stuff from US.

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
chairs

the Presi chairs are good quality
and reasonable prized,
they are for FREE!!!
the samd goes for the presi dolino tables,
the best quality you can get, if you get 'em

Mike

Enviado desde mi SM-G800M mediante Tapatalk

Where can I get the chairs? I'll pay for em....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
here is an example how dominicans handle this:

i5c4s5.jpg

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I see a weak link in that design.. LOL
But If you cut the Legs of the bottom chair just an inch or so as to match the Top Chair evenly at ground level, and then wrap some more tape around both legs at the bottom, that would not be a bad Idea for doubling the strength.. LOL