POP airport and the conspiracy

Sep 4, 2012
Yes they are correct, those are the official statistic of the total amount of people that passed by each airport in 2018. My post is not about how many people arrived, is about how many people passed by the airport, in and out.

Riva,

Do you work with the government or any other entity entirely connected with airports, airlines and travels?

Asking because I do get many insights from your replies, usually spot on on the information provided, which seem to be derived from inside scoops, as opposed to something gathered from cyberspace or word of mouth.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Riva,

Do you work with the government or any other entity entirely connected with airports, airlines and travels?

Asking because I do get many insights from your replies, usually spot on on the information provided, which seem to be derived from inside scoops, as opposed to something gathered from cyberspace or word of mouth.

No, Im plane spotter and I fallow public statistic from goverment, you can get it online, also Im a member of airlines forums, so Im very familiar with some data about travel, airlines, etc.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Also what kind of passengers, Turist, Dominicans residents, Dominicans not residents, residents, etc. For example in PUJ arround 99% of the passengers are turist, but SDQ 13.8% is turist and 86.2 are Dominicans, Dominicans non residents and residents.

That is the more important point

Tourists drive the economy - of tourism -
The actual numbers mean little... of passengers...
For visitors PUJ takes the proverbial cake ... by waaaay more than 50-60%

The question for the RD gov't is
How to spread the wealth?

I fly into SDQ, POP and AZS... no others
The Cdn flights into AZS have Dominicans on them...
since the SDQ flights from YYZ and Montreal are scarce

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
That is the more important point

Tourists drive the economy - of tourism -
The actual numbers mean little... of passengers...
For visitors PUJ takes the proverbial cake ... by waaaay more than 50-60%

The question for the RD gov't is

How to spread the wealth?

What I have been seeing is the goverment wants do diversify and make turist visit whole country and not only Punta Cana.

I fly into SDQ, POP and AZS... no others

I fly into SDQ, and PUJ and sometimes LRM when I do not have option from SDQ to travel to Canada.

The Cdn flights into AZS have Dominicans on them...
since the SDQ flights from YYZ and Montreal are scarce

The direct flights to Canada from SDQ run all winter, Its been 3 years that Airtransat opened and started with YYZ, then next year opened also YUL, and the ocupation of the flights when is not 100% is very close to 100%. I emailed them asking why they do not make conections with the flights into SDQ and reply back they are working on it, so hopefully we could have from SDQ year round flights with Air Transat.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
All I say is.. Never say never. It's a zero sum game. If pop fails, real estate prices fall, so somebody buys cheap.

Look hard enough and you will see there is always financial windfall for market manipulation. This is multiplied in the Dominican Republic.

This statement is far more true than any other on this thread.....why do most flights go to PUJ?....because the politicos own part of the resorts there.....the feeling on the NC is they want to pressure the real estate prices down and buy cheap and turn it into another PC......I have heard this for quite some time.....good point Luperon, very good point....

My thoughts not yours

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It the nature of some humans to be susceptible to conspiracy theories. I don't buy into the current one since I saw first hand why fewer people were arriving on the north coast for various reasons already mentioned not related to some conspiracy.

Of course developing the south coast greatly improved tourism there and led to cheaper flights and AI package deals, but I could not call that a conspiracy. It also isn't a conspiracy theory that less money was invested when investors realized it probably would not help bring in more tourists to the north coast and hotel owner cut and ran.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This statement is far more true than any other on this thread.....why do most flights go to PUJ?....because the politicos own part of the resorts there.....the feeling on the NC is they want to pressure the real estate prices down and buy cheap and turn it into another PC......I have heard this for quite some time.....good point Luperon, very good point....

My thoughts not yours

Now THIS makes sense....
and factor in the privately owned airport....

Nice game going.....in PUJ

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Isn't Leonel Fernandez an investor of his own wealth in the South East? Can't find any concrete proof, but plenty of rumours out there saying that he and his cronies, possibly even our own Danilo have their own personal interests down there.

Jan 9, 2004
While the North Coast will continue to exist as a vacation destination, its best days are likely in the rear view mirror.

The powers that be (political/financial) in developing PC assured the demise of PP as the once premier vacation spot in the DR.

And while there has been some revival on the NC, and Samana got its airport and a highway from SD.......it too has not taken off as was hoped.

Dethroning PC from its top destination mantle will not be done by any of the above mentioned, but by changing habits of the tourists that visit.

Personally, I think any talk of the NC ever overtaking PC or even reclaiming any of its former glory is wishful thinking. The eyes........and the money........are quietly preparing the SW of the DR for that role. Not that it will be successful, only that is where the money is shifting too.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No Coast needs the 'rifle' not the 'shotgun' approach to solve this........

And seem to be doing so...witness the high end resorts that look for quiet - no crowds - low profile locations.

Mass marketing may not be the solution.... perhaps specialty stuff

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Or WW, perhaps the slow trend of building homes on the north coast in the Cabarete/Sosua area will make it more Expats than Tourists over time. That is the trend I see.

There is plenty of open land between Cabarete and Sosua and up them them there hills.

Probably 40 lots available in my development alone with a dozen of those being built upon.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That is already the case in Cabrera--- we have no beach per se... so few tourists

Beaches are a short hop away.... 5 of them or so

and look at the big picture -- Cabarete to Nagua.... much open land there ???

The gov't knows that - for sure.. they mention it their Playa Grande speeches

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
The powers that be (political/financial) in developing PC assured the demise of PP as the once premier vacation spot in the DR.

While that may be true, just prior to 2008 the Dom gov't was doing google adword advertising focused on the NC. Then the recession hit and the ad's dropped off completely. Now they have renewed interest (airport, road widening, etc) so I think they have refocused on the NC.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes Rob... for sure they on it....big stuff going on on the No Coast... big investment = private
Costing RD $0 and they gain a ton.... taxes, employment ups.... mucho

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Yes Rob... for sure they on it....big stuff going on on the No Coast... big investment = private
Costing RD $0 and they gain a ton.... taxes, employment ups.... mucho

Exactly, a good example is three hundred + new residences in Playa Dorada alone. Brand new construction, not rehabs.