POP airport and the conspiracy

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Looks like USA is grounding the 737 Max 8.
Miami flight is now on ground in Puerto Plata and the return flight now shows cancelled.

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
The good news, if you live in NY you can fly into Puerto Plata for under $400.00 r/t. The bad news, if you live anywhere else in the US you will need to open a line of credit. It is going to be a long hard summer for those running businesses on the North Coast.

Best airfares into Puerto Plata - search restricted to flights with less than two stops and travel duration under 14 hours.

April
Miami (MIA) into POP $453.00 - one way.
Chicago (ORD) into POP $527.00 - one way.
Atlanta (ATL) into POP $653.00 - one way.
Houston (IAH) into POP $422.00 - one way.
New York (JFK) into POP $168.00 - one way.

Flights in May - same search criteria

Miami (MIA) into POP $413.00 - one way.
Chicago (ORD) into POP $303.00 "via Toronto" - one way.
Atlanta (ATL) into POP $283.00 - one way.
Houston (IAH) into POP $426.00 - one way.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The good news, if you live in NY you can fly into Puerto Plata for under $400.00 r/t. The bad news, if you live anywhere else in the US you will need to open a line of credit. It is going to be a long hard summer for those running businesses on the North Coast.

Best airfares into Puerto Plata - search restricted to flights with less than two stops and travel duration under 14 hours.

April
Miami (MIA) into POP $453.00 - one way.
Chicago (ORD) into POP $527.00 - one way.
Atlanta (ATL) into POP $653.00 - one way.
Houston (IAH) into POP $422.00 - one way.

Flights in May - same search criteria

Miami (MIA) into POP $413.00 - one way.
Chicago (ORD) into POP $303.00 "via Toronto" - one way.
Atlanta (ATL) into POP $283.00 - one way.
Houston (IAH) into POP $426.00 - one way.

I just did a search on AA for MIA-POP round trip May 8th to May 15th (1st search) and it came up $648

Airlines especially gangster airlines like AA want you to book round trip so that if you have to change your flight, they can charge you those sweet change fees plus difference in fare.

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
You can try the hidden ticket strategy. I did it once, bought a ticket to NY for 150.00 and just got off in Miami. I called, said I got sick ??? Hmmm. But I heard they (AA) can delete your AA millage account if they catch you (this I guess its illegal under terms and conditions of your ticket). Any comment on this?? Anyone else doing this???? Of course you can leave from STI and pay 150.00 legally, sorta crazy :-(

singletravell

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
You can try the hidden ticket strategy. I did it once, bought a ticket to NY for 150.00 and just got off in Miami. I called, said I got sick ??? Hmmm. But I heard they (AA) can delete your AA millage account if they catch you (this I guess its illegal under terms and conditions of your ticket). Any comment on this?? Anyone else doing this???? Of course you can leave from STI and pay 150.00 legally, sorta crazy :-(

singletravell

That mileage account is pretty useless anyway, I used it once after 10 years flying with AA several times per year, for a ticket for 2 to Las Vegas, cost me 100,000 miles and some money on top. Almost impossible to get the dates you want.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That mileage account is pretty useless anyway, I used it once after 10 years flying with AA several times per year, for a ticket for 2 to Las Vegas, cost me 100,000 miles and some money on top. Almost impossible to get the dates you want.
Yikes... I go to England for 60,000....on United

Depends when , I suppose

Jan 17, 2009
Surprised. I book award tickets often in AA. In fact, haven’t paid for a ticket for a couple of years now. Very rarely have I had an issue with no availability. Mostly I use my miles for round trips to South America and flying from POP back to thr US

Michi313

Feb 22, 2019

singletravell

Some airlines will go after you for doing this - Lufthansa was suing a passenger over it - but plenty of people do it
I paid about $700 per ticket for a r/t airfare to POP last month - Jet Blue are the only airline that run a nonstop flight from JFK to POP - ticket prices are totally ridiculous.

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
I use the hidden ticket trick on the outbound flight but it doesn't help on the inbound leg. Book either Boston or JFK on the outbound and then step off in Miami. They can keep the miles...

POP is one of the most expensive airports in the Caribbean right now.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I use the hidden ticket trick on the outbound flight but it doesn't help on the inbound leg. Book either Boston or JFK on the outbound and then step off in Miami. They can keep the miles...

POP is one of the most expensive airports in the Caribbean right now.

Because monopoly, United used to have expensive prices between EWR-SDQ and only 1 flight a day, then came Jetblue and opened another flight, then came Spirit and opened another flight, and guess what? prices dropped and United decided also to have 2 daily flights insted only one as before.