Question for Spanish speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Talldrink said:
I dont think is that easy to change your accent on the fly like that. Unless you are constantly thinking how you are going to sound when you are talking and that would make it worse. When I was learning English, thinking too much made me say words incorrectly (i.e. Beach and B*tch, aunt and ant, etc).

You have to have a good command of the language in order for it to work. As you stated above Talldrink, you were just learning English, so naturally you had to think about what you wanted to say and could not concentrate on the accent.

jorge_33

May 27, 2003
Chirimoya,
You asked, What's your Dominican connection though, Jorge?!

Well, I'll be short..... Bussiness and fine Dominican girlfriends here in Miami and DR...(Sto. Domingo and East coast of DR) ;)

Regards,

Jorge

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Now that I've got your attention!

There are some words that I can't find translations for.

e.g. soggy - as in "eat up your cornflakes before they get soggy".

Anyone have any others? Suggestions also welcome.

Chiri

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Chirimoya said:

Chiri

soggy....pastoso or empapado. Pastoso sounds about right. Yes?

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
actually empapado sounds more familiar to me. But I'm not even sure if that's the correct translation when referring to soggy cereal. Tough one Chiri.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Forbeca said:
actually empapado sounds more familiar to me. But I'm not even sure if that's the correct translation when referring to soggy cereal. Tough one Chiri.

When you look up the word empapado it says..soaked

pastoso sounds more like something that has turned pasty. Right but I guess that's not really soggy. Back to the drawing board.

How about making a new Dominican word up. Soggy..mooshi mooshi. ;)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Let's see

Chirimoya said:

Chiri
How about, you are a "bicho", as in insect. I really did not wanted to put it in a fresh version because we all know that for Puerto Rican "bicho" means..., well you know.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Miguel, bicho in which sense? My Mum used to say my sister was a 'bicho' when she was little, in the sense that she was mischievous - sort of like 'little rascal'.

She also used to say a person was a 'bicho malo' which was far more derogatory.

Bicho does have a very different slang meaning in certain other countries(Cuba as well as PR?). In El Salvador people just use it to mean babies and children.

What about 'empalagoso' - used to describe a type of person - as in, "I can't stand Luis Miguel, he is so empalagoso" - as well as food?

Chiri

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Chirimoya said:

Chiri

Chiri,

I think the word you may be looking for in Dominican is APATAO. Used in a sentence: El Arroz esta apatato (which comes from pastoso)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yippee! Now we all know how to say - my cornflakes are soggy.

Repeat after me:
"Lo confl? etan apatao".
End of lesson.

Thanks Talldrink! (was 'apatato' a typo?)

Chiri

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
I always thought the word apastado was referring to rice, oatmeal, etc. Not liquids, cereal has milk so how can it be apastoso? No, I really don't think that's the correct translation for soggy.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Im not saying that apastado is the direct translation for soggy, I think it may be a variation, because it is used for liquids as well. If the rice or the cereal has too much liquid, it becomes apatao. Rice can in fact be soggy.

Lets not think about it too much...

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Talldrink said:
Im not saying that apastado is the direct translation for soggy, I think it may be a variation, because it is used for liquids as well. If the rice or the cereal has too much liquid, it becomes apatao. Rice can in fact be soggy.

Lets not think about it too much...

I got a slight headache from it, geez. I'll ask my mom when I speak with her. It's kind of bugging me not knowing.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
How about Echumbao. Thats soggy too.

(By the way these are more Dominican 'words' that Im saying here, not REAL Spanish)

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Talldrink said:
How about Echumbao. Thats soggy too.

(By the way these are more Dominican 'words' that Im saying here, not REAL Spanish)

You mean, Enchumbao? Drenched?

How about mogoyao?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Enchumba'o is very good for soggy

Ah, the Dominican vocabulary. In Sunday's 's paper, in an article on meats:

Filete = easy, that's the fillet mignon
Tibon = That's T-Bone
Cheloy = took me a while but 'sirloin' it is.

Watch Albert Pujols when he talks English. He never shuts his mouth on words that end in "m", because there are very few words in Spanish that end in 'm'.... There's a job for you Mkohn, teach him to speak better, he gives good interviews....

Ehtoi totao, me voy a comei aigo.

Oh yes, "bicho" in PR is a no-no. It is the same as pinga and guevo.
Bolear in the DR is to hitch a ride and you can say "Dame bola." But not in PR..for same reason..

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.