Reasons for Dominican mess

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Sorry folks, but Trujillo is dead, and NO amount of wish-thinking can bringing 'im back.

MY fellow Dominicans don't understand your obsession with that asesino chivito jarto 'e jobo. I do have an idea.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
You can't blame what's broken in Dominican society on Trujillo, nor do you need another Trujillo like leader, but you do need a leader with the balls to tell the truth about Dominican problems and the required cures. Unfortunately that person would never get elected.

You hit it right on the nail Bob!

The person for the job will never get elected AND would never run for the post in the first place!!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You hit it right on the nail Bob!

The person for the job will never get elected AND would never run for the post in the first place!!!
"There is No Free Pollo" is a tough sell against "Free Pollo, vote for me..."

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There seems to be a strong "cult of personality" that transcends political policy philosophy in not just the DR but many LA countries...

Olvidado

Jun 19, 2012
If the dictator still alive you probably would've not be able to live here, in fact you would still be someplace else. Besides, there "was no freedom to walk the streets at night" Oh, forget it, you were not here, even if it takes 100, 200 years to fix it, it was the historical and moral thing to do to get rid of the dictator.

LuisSanchez

Feb 2, 2013
There seems to be a strong "cult of personality" that transcends political policy philosophy in not just the DR but many LA countries...

Obama, Belusconi, Mao, Stalin, Tito, Merkel (?)....for a while even Tony Blair...None of them are from LA.
Still I agree when I think about T., Balaguer, Bosch, and the incumbents. H
owever, this is not new. It was already happening in Rome: they have the patronage (or clientela).
Nothing new here. It reminds me of animal psychology.
The weak animal looking for the protection of the strong one. The alpha macho.

Last edited:

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
The Dominicans with money and the politicos who may not be rich now but soon will be like things just the way they are .

Olvidado

Jun 19, 2012
That is right, although some people blame someone else, must, those who blame and those who do not blame, expect some one else to fix the problem. Seing the control the Catholic church has on DR it is a given that they should be the one to educate the families, the people, but obviously they have failed in doing so, or is not in their priorities. The devil made me do it! Yes, blame someone else.

Olvidado

Jun 19, 2012
That is right! That was a Dictator tactics to keep the people unable and totally depending on him. No one was educated to take care of things, but to take care of things by force. I always remember my daddy's eyes when he came home one day and found me playing outside barefooted; such a fight with my mother who somehow was distracted and was not aware I was outside on the street playing, I was 8 years old but still remember, "They will put me in jail, they will beat me to death, they will take my job...) He was so scared! -the cursing have been removed. Even for me to go to the UASD have to be approved by the dictator. Later I found out I have an uncle in " La Cuarenta" never knew him because we were not allowed to talk to him or go visit him. If it takes 200 years for us to keep the mess out then that is what it will take; but don't come here and compare us with US or Canada; if you don't want to help clean the mess and helps us out, then go back to where you came from and leave our prostitutes alone.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
They say ignorance is bliss, most Dominicans I know prefer not to dwell on the negative even though it can be all around them. Some of what influences the atmosphere here such as crime, etc..come from the "outside". Meaning the Dominicans who bring their "street life ways" back with them when they come back for the yearly visit. I think some may yearn for that "Trujillo era" but the yearning would be for as some are saying for the less crime, cleaner, way of life back then. Not really for a "Trujillo" way of ruling. Many people all over the world dream of life the way it was "back then". Even in the worst circumstances it is clear their are some who remember the good.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Our World

of course i see that dr society is broken. we did it. however to talk that a trujillo will fix it...that is non-sense.
educated dominicans? there are quite a few...

It is not only the DR.Take a look at the US there is a lot of violence and corruption just watch the news.
The inability of Democrats and Republicans to work together for the country, to get production,the economy and research going.
The global situation with corruption of international governments, financial institutions, arms sales and nuclear posturing should worry us all. Ultimately it's all about money.
Some countries just have better social services and roads.

For all of CC's criticism he's not packing up the family and moving to Boston yet!
Yes the DR is full of problems, but one also does have a lot of freedom here away from the overregulation of western governments.
Try filling out a visa application or sponsoring a spouse to our countries.
The DR makes it easy.
It's not all bad, hopefully we all can contribute to improve our world.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

one million percent right, cobraboy. why do you think that Danilo cuts the ceremonial ribbon at the opening of every colmado? because he is the paterfamilias of the DR. he is the big daddy, from whom all blessings flow. the average citizen has no need to take ownership for his life, because daddy Danilo has all things covered. same thing every other president does. Leonel must have worn out a thousand scissors, cutting this ribbon, and that. sometimes i am tempted to ask people here if they ever saw George Bush cutting the ceremonial ribbon at the opening of a Pathmark, but i bite my tongue. i saw a bus once, with the lettering Donated by Hipolito Mejia, even though i am sure it came from national funds, and not his personal account. i am sick and tired of hearing people say to me "government does not give us anything". i am tempted to ask them 2 questions

1...why should government GIVE you anything?

2..do you think government has its own money to give away?

i want to explain to them that whatever government has came from the efforts of other people, but it might be too esoteric an idea for some to ponder.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Olvidado" why don't you leave, Oh! you already DID!
so Thank you very much!
On behalf of the aproxamately 150,000 Dominican prostitutes who now ply their "Skills" in Europe, Central America, Haiti, Curacao, and North America, "PLEASE COME BACK HOME MEN!" We need your monet too!
Dominican prostitutes working "A Broad"!, are only Number 4!
Behind Brasil, Thailand, and the beautuful "Philipinas"!
But they try to make YOU "Harder"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lick::lick::lick:
And DO! :bunny::bunny::bunny:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
so Thank you very much!
On behalf of the aproxamately 150,000 Dominican prostitutes who now ply their "Skills" in Europe, Central America, Haiti, Curacao, and North America, "PLEASE COME BACK HOME MEN!" We need your monet too!
But they try to make YOU "Harder"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lick::lick::lick:
\

my buddy just got back from Georgetown, Guyana, last night. he said he ran into two girls from a club in Rio Burende called El Alto in a go-go bar there. he had met them before in his travels. he was told that if he took a boat to Suriname, he could find some clubs there with a host of DR ladies. he declined, because the waters were choppy that day, and the boat looked too improvised for his liking.

Olvidado

Jun 19, 2012
so Thank you very much!

When a man is solely occupy with his material needs, eat, drink, sleep, fornicate. He becomes a misguided man, very unhappy, more savage, and more malevolent than an animal. No thought beyond their physical wellbeing, just like an animal. You become blind to other realm of existence, to the spiritual significance of all things. However, you were created rich, a pearl of great value, just look within yourself to find the beauty of your life.

Yes, I left, I am in Ecuador because part of my family has to escape the dictatorship of Trujillo, and after various countries they settled here; but I am here to learn about their 100% free elementary school, the largest in the country with 47 girls. I am here to learn how their operation works, how to run it, to see if their model can be transported to the DR so there will be less prostitution of these girls who somehow belong to all of us.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Ahem...

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wO0t-4F9Qg0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Even crazy people are right.... well, sometimes. lol

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
DR after Trujillo...

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WwQvKK0yr5U?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>