Report on Trip to US

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Flying out of the Boston airport tomorrow bound for Ashville, NC.

What has most surprised me on this first trip to the US in 10 years is the number of complexes and facilities just for senior citizens. Both in the Chicago area and now in Massachusetts I have seen many aparment and condo buildings for seniors only, and also a number of complexes that take seniors from a single family home or condo to the grave. By that I mean seniors who are active buy a home or a condo, depending on what is available, then at some furture date move first to an apartment, then into managed care, then into a nursing home. I don't recall even hearing about this when I was in the US 10 years ago.

Passing through several areas in Chicago, I even saw signs that said "caution" "seniors" with a figure of a person walking, just like school signs for children.

The sister I am going to visit in Ashville has just purchased a home in one of these complexes, so I'll have a chance to get the feel of the place. But as of now, I don't think I would be comfortable living where you are constantly reminded what a slippery slope we are all on.

In fact, one of the reasons that I haven't gone back to the US for 10 years is that I felt old during the last visit. And now, ten years later, it is even worse. There are old people everywhere; makes me uncomfortable.

I know that sounds strange since I am getting up there in years, but never when in the DR do I feel old or think about age or aging. It is a non-issue in a country where a huge number of people would have happily voted for a 90+ year old blind, infirm man in a recent election had he chosen to have his name on the ballot.

For me, the DR is the fountain of youth and I'm looking forward to getting back and being rejuvinated.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Now in Ashville, NC. And yes, my sister does live in one of those to the grave communities. Very large with many homes, villas, apartments, etc., plus a nursing home. She thinks it is a good choice for them, but agrees it is not for everyone.

I think Barbara is establishing a record on ways to set off the alarm at the airport screening. Each time something new, as if the hip replacement wasn't enough. This time no scissors, but they finally decided it was the metal clasp on her bra that was causing the alarm to go off when they passed the wand over the upper part of her body.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Another thing not here on my last visit 10 years ago are the do-it-yourself check out stations in stores. So far I have encountered them three times: once each in a supermarket, hardware store, and Home Depot.

For those who haven't seen or used them, you scan your purchases just like is done in the checkout counter of a supermarket, except you do it yourself. The computer monitors what you are doing and scolds you if you make a mistake. For example, when I picked up a bag to move it to make room for other things, I was immediately scolded by the machine and told to leave the bag where it was until I finished checking out.

At the end, you are told the total charge and you feed you money, both coins and bills into a machine. I believe the machine also accepts credit cards, but I am not sure of that.

I hope somebody will let me know when they install the first one in the DR. I want to be there on opening day to see what happens.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
POS (Point Of Sale)

Ken said:
Another thing not here on my last visit 10 years ago are the do-it-yourself check out stations in stores. So far I have encountered them three times: once each in a supermarket, hardware store, and Home Depot.

For those who haven't seen or used them, you scan your purchases just like is done in the checkout counter of a supermarket, except you do it yourself. The computer monitors what you are doing and scolds you if you make a mistake. For example, when I picked up a bag to move it to make room for other things, I was immediately scolded by the machine and told to leave the bag where it was until I finished checking out.

At the end, you are told the total charge and you feed you money, both coins and bills into a machine. I believe the machine also accepts credit cards, but I am not sure of that.

I hope somebody will let me know when they install the first one in the DR. I want to be there on opening day to see what happens.

Point of Sales have been around for a while, but somebody came up with the bright idea of firing the $7hr clerk and have people do it themselves. They are popping up all over NYC. Instead of hiring 4 checkout clerks, you can hire one clerk to monitor all 4 machines. The DR will have them soon, wait a minute, we can be the first to sell POS systems to major stores like La Sirena. Please PM me if this sound good!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ricardo900 said:
Point of Sales have been around for a while, but somebody came up with the bright idea of firing the $7hr clerk and have people do it themselves. They are popping up all over NYC. Instead of hiring 4 checkout clerks, you can hire one clerk to monitor all 4 machines. The DR will have them soon, wait a minute, we can be the first to sell POS systems to major stores like La Sirena. Please PM me if this sound good!

If you make the sale, Ricardo, let me know. I want to be there on the first day they are used. I remember the daylight savings time fiasco here and won't be surprised if those POS machines cause a spectacle of confusion worth watching.

Wonderdog

Apr 25, 2005
Ken said:
I think Barbara is establishing a record on ways to set off the alarm at the airport screening. Each time something new, as if the hip replacement wasn't enough. This time no scissors, but they finally decided it was the metal clasp on her bra that was causing the alarm to go off when they passed the wand over the upper part of her body.

The first and only time I got "wanded" for setting off the metal detector, it turned out what was causing the problem was my...

airline ID badge. Silly.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
Pos

Yeah you can get rid of another job; another person. Be more efficient, blah, blah, blah.
My experience says that at best it's a mixed blessing. You will need at least one manager full time correcting errors by the customers or programing errors by the computers. And you will need a security guard on point to ensure that one doesn't " double bag " the merchandise. Oh yeah, there is always the oppurtunity to bond with "the voice ".
I guess I just don't like the encroachment of the all/everything/everywhere computers. So efficient. And so dehumanizing.
That, to me is the essence of third world countries. While their goverments may be in the electronic/computer age the general population is less sanitized and more HUMAN.
John

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
duhtree said:
Yeah you can get rid of another job; another person. Be more efficient, blah, blah, blah.
My experience says that at best it's a mixed blessing. You will need at least one manager full time correcting errors by the customers or programing errors by the computers. And you will need a security guard on point to ensure that one doesn't " double bag " the merchandise. Oh yeah, there is always the oppurtunity to bond with "the voice ".
I guess I just don't like the encroachment of the all/everything/everywhere computers. So efficient. And so dehumanizing.
That, to me is the essence of third world countries. While their goverments may be in the electronic/computer age the general population is less sanitized and more HUMAN.
John
The one time manager for $14hr will eliminate four 7hr clerk positions, I feel bad for the clerks who's losing his/her job, but all corporations are finding ways to automate and cut personnel at the same time increasing profit. Look at the New York Metropolitan Transit Authority:
1. Metro Cards - No more token booth clerks
2. Automated Conductors - No need for two operators on a train
3. EZ Pass - No more toll booth collectors
Also, when was the last time you spoke to a live operator on a telephone for information. If they can't automate it they will outsource it.

sorry for hijacking thread.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Any mor hi-jacking, you will be deleted.

But this would be a good topic in the Debate Forum.

Thanks
Tim H.:smoke:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Ricardo900 said:
The one time manager for $14hr will eliminate four 7hr clerk positions, I feel bad for the clerks who's losing his/her job, but all corporations are finding ways to automate and cut personnel at the same time increasing profit. Look at the New York Metropolitan Transit Authority:
1. Metro Cards - No more token booth clerks
2. Automated Conductors - No need for two operators on a train
3. EZ Pass - No more toll booth collectors
Also, when was the last time you spoke to a live operator on a telephone for information. If they can't automate it they will outsource it.

sorry for hijacking thread.
You feel bad for the clerk?

Do you mean, the clerk who loses his job and should then train into some skill that is in demand or the clerk who loses his job and refuses to live according to the times?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Nal0whs said:
You feel bad for the clerk?

Do you mean, the clerk who loses his job and should then train into some skill that is in demand or the clerk who loses his job and refuses to live according to the times?
Well, since you put it that way. Good deal for the former and too bad for the latter.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Leaving North Carolina tomorrow for Schenectady, NY, to visit one of our sons. This will be the last visit before returning to Sosua. We have enjoyed our stay in NC.

On the way to the airport tomorrow, we plan to have breakfast at one of the Cracker Barrel restaurants. Not sure yet what I will have, but most likely it will include grits. A good friend in Sosua is from NC and talks frequently about Cracker Barrel and grits, to name only a few foods I have heard about.

My first experience with Cracker Barrel was lunch on the day we arrived. Working from a premarked menu given me before leaving Sosua, I ordered chicken and dumplings, turnip greens, and fried apples. Barbara had catfish, another item on our list.

Barbara said the catfish was very good, and certainly the fried apples were. The greens were over cooked (to my yankee way of thinking) and the chicken n dumplings were covered with something that tasted just like that flour and water paste I made as a child.

When I was paying the bill, I told the cashier why I was eating there. She asked me how I liked the meal. My reply was that "it must be an acquired taste." She said, "you're absolutely right. I'm from California and I still haven't gotten used to eating that stuff."

Even some of you big eaters might be challenged by the Cracker Barrel breakfast menu. Consider, for example, "Grandpa's Country Fried Breakfast": 2 eggs with grits, sawmill gravy, homemade buttermilk biscuits, real butter, and the best preserves, jam and apple n' butter we could find, AND fried apples or hashbrown casserole, AND country fried steak or chicken fried chicken. If you don't want the steak or chicken, in its place you can have a "sampling of COUNTRY HAM, smoked SAUSAGE, and thick sliced BACON".

I must admit I am very impressed with how much food you get for your money. No restaurant in Sosua comes close in value. We ate lunch at 2:30, and even then the restaurant was full. Cracker Baarrel has a winning combination.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
This is funny Ken. Grits is to the south as platanos is to the DR. Never quite got the hang of either of those myself.

But I agree with you, Cracker Barrels are quite an experience and fun. You make me miss the South...

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
I do eat grits when it comes with a breakfast plate, but it isn't my favorite thing....until I tried cheese grits. We moved into a new office building and there is a small cafe down stairs run by three Guatemalan women. They make the best cheese grits I have ever tasted. I have a cup full a couple times a week, in fact, I just finished some. I tried making some at home, but it just isn't as good as that made at the cafe.

Ken, I'm glad you enjoyed Asheville. I am considering the North Carolina mountain's area as a place for retirement. It's a good summer place. Maybe if I win the lottery I could also have a winter home in the DR! Oh, well, I'll keep dreaming...

Bob (getting burned out quick)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Now in Schenectady, NY, visiting one of our sons. Will be here until we return to DR on August 7. Hope to get back to the safety of Sosua before the West Nile Virus mosquitos know I'm here. Quite a bit on TV last night about the risk in NY state. One of the many dangers that must be contended with when visiting the US, but that are unknown in Sosua.

Yesterday we breakfasted at a Cracker Barrel on the way to the airport. Knowing I would be sitting most of the day, either on the plane or in a car, I passed up the power eater breakfasts and ordered one of their simpler breakfasts: 2 eggs, grits, sawmill gravy, biscuits, and jam, preserves, apple butter.

When the food was delivered to our table, I was faced with a decision of where to put the gravy. Given the order in which the food was listed, it sounded like it should go on the grits, but that didn't seem right. So I ended up eating the grits plain and put the gravy on the biscuits. I think that was the right thing to do because, much to my surprise, the biscuits and sawmill gravy tasted very, very good. That's one taste that I acquired immediately.

The grits is another story. Nothing wrong with them, but very bland. When I arrived at our son's house, I asked his wife, who is a chef, if she had ever eaten at a cracker barrel. She told me she had a number of times and enjoyed eating there. When I described my breakfast, she asked how I liked the grits. I replied they were ok, but seemed to be missing something. She smiled and responded, "do you mean flavor?".

I note from the posts below by Chris and Atlanta Bob that they had the same thought.

I'll have to consult with my expert on Southern dining on eating grits. Should I have put the gravy on the grits and the jam on the biscuits, or the reverse? Or maybe both? But then Atlanta Bob says cheese is the thing; should I have ordered that to go with the grits? These things are important for me to know before eating again in a Cracker Barrel.

That may be sooner rather than later. There are Cracker Barrel restaurants in most, maybe all states now, and my son tells me there is one very close to his house. I hope to eat in it at least once to see whether the waitresses in the north are as friendly and chatty as they were at the 2 I ate at in NC.

Barbara had pancakes with blueberries and blue berrysyrup and enjoyed them immensely. She even bought a bottle of the syrup.

In previous posts I have mentioned Barbara's troubles with the Homeland Security screeners, but I'm afraid this time there is nothing worth mentioning. When she walked through the screening machine at the Charlotte, NC, airport, it never even blinked. It must be that each airport makes a decision about machine sensitivity. I hope that I am not revealing secret information to terrorists.

Last edited: