Report on Trip to US

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
grits

A large bowl of grits. a glob of butter. and sugar. wow!!
And ken you are in the right general area for really good maple syrup and such. Make sure it's 10 % and not that watery stuff, usually 1 %. john

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Butter on the grits

...then mix it in with the eggs, either scrambled or fried over easy, nice and runny. Plain grits are kind of bland, except, for the cheese grits, that is.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Proper Method of Preparing Grits

I have consulted my Southern advisors about the proper method of preparing grits and have been told only Yankees put sugar on them. Butter, salt and pepper, yes, but sugar, no.

I have also been informed that the reason they are served bland is because each Southerner has his own secret way to doctor them up (but never sugar). So, Atlanta Bob, you can put cheese on them and hold you head high in the South, but those of us to want to pass as southerners, better realize that our cover will be blown as soon as we sprinkle sugar on our grits.

Not trying to turn this into a thread on Cracker Barrel, but ate supper at one last night. New to me was the hashbrown cassarole side dish, which is composed, according to waitress, of hasbrown potatoes, onion, and swiss cheese. Maybe my Southern advisors will correct me on this but that is what I was told by the waitress. Of course, she only had one star on her apron, so doesn't know everything.

Drove down to Hyde Park, NY, today, the community I served as superintendent of schools for 14 years before dropping out and going to sea in a sailboat. Only found one person still in the schools that I knew from the "old days", and she is retiring at end of month. The sooner I get back to my fountain of youth in Sosua, the better. Fortunately, only 5 more days.

MaryS

Feb 13, 2003
Cracker Barrel

Ken, the hash brown casserole is one of my favorites. If you go again, try the sweet potatoe casserole. Yummy. I'll bet Barbara is stocking up on yarn, tea and lemon drops. How many extra suit cases are y'all having to bring back? Mary

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
MaryS said:
Ken, the hash brown casserole is one of my favorites. If you go again, try the sweet potatoe casserole. Yummy. I'll bet Barbara is stocking up on yarn, tea and lemon drops. How many extra suit cases are y'all having to bring back? Mary

Extra suitcases is an issue we are wrestling with right now. Saturday will tell the tale when we do serious packing in anticipation of a Sunday return to the DR.

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Just one final comment on the grits. You don't just put cheese on the grits. It has to be cooked in with the grits from the start. And, that is the first I ever heard of putting sugar on grits! Heck, I'll try most anything once. Have a safe trip home.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Ken said:
I have consulted my Southern advisors about the proper method of preparing grits and have been told only Yankees put sugar on them. Butter, salt and pepper, yes, but sugar, no.
I thought I was the only one who likes sugar on his grits, hey what's good for Oatmeal should be good for Grits :nervous:

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Ricardo900 said:
I thought I was the only one who likes sugar on his grits, hey what's good for Oatmeal should be good for Grits :nervous:

Actually, that makes sense. I may have to ty it.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Sugar and Grits.

AtlantaBob said:
Actually, that makes sense. I may have to ty it.

I can see all true southerners rolling in their graves,

Salt, butter and over easy eggs!!! and a little pepper

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Safely Back in Sosua

We returned Sunday night. Plane left Boston 3 hours late, then there were 3 medical emergencies during the flight, including one involving the lady seated next to Barbara, but otherwise a good trip.

Going through screening before the flight, Barbara's hip again set off the alarm bells. This time one of the security agents also ran the wand all over her carry-on bag, though he never said what he was looking for.

I had expected trouble with my carry-on bag because I had the parts for a home security system. Lots of things with wires attached, etc. The man at the xray took so long studying my bag that I finally called over to explain what he was seeing. Seemed to satisfy him as he nodded and let bag through the scan.

Unfortunately, when I got to our apartment on Sunday night and tried to start my computer, it was dead. It had been unused and unplugged for 4.5 weeks. The technician found on Monday that the mother board was damaged, due, he said, to the salt air working on it during 4.5 week. He said in the future if not going to use computer for a week or more that I should cover the CPU before leaving to keep out the salt air.

The money cost of RD$8,000 for a new motherboard was painful, but worse was that he had to reformat the hard disk, which meant that all the programs, bookmarks, etc., accumulated over the past few years were lost. So today I have been very busy obtaining my firewall and other lost security programs.

Then yesterday when I got up to leave the office of our administrator, who had been bringing me up to date on what transpired during my absence, I had a pain in the right ankle. Surprised me as I could think of no explanation. Pain increased during evening and night, so I consulted Dr. Plaut in Cabarete this morning. For the moment I am taking anti inflamatory meds and go back on Thursday afternoon to find out if testing will be required. He said from what he could see and feel, that what I had wasn't typical of anything he could think of that could cause internal inflamation.

Regarding the trip, we had a great time. We met our first grandchild, and he is a keeper. We did a lot of sightseeing, were introduced to fine dining in Cracker Barrel, saw all my family in the US, and I went canoeing and bike riding with one of our sons. Although Sosua and the DR is the best place for me, I'm sure I'll be going back before another 10 years pass.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Ken said:
I had a pain in the right ankle. Surprised me as I could think of no explanation. Pain increased during evening and night, so I consulted Dr. Plaut in Cabarete this morning. For the moment I am taking anti inflamatory meds and go back on Thursday afternoon to find out if testing will be required. He said from what he could see and feel, that what I had wasn't typical of anything he could think of that could cause internal inflamation.
Everytime my sister visits from Canada, her ankles swell up and are so painful, she has trouble walking.
She attributes it to flying.
I know nothing about it, other than it happens to her everytime she visits me.
I think she calls it water retention.
It goes away by itself in 2 or 3 days.
Great to hear you're back safe & sound.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Ken said:
... I had a pain in the right ankle. Surprised me as I could think of no explanation. Pain increased during evening and night, so I consulted Dr. Plaut in Cabarete this morning. For the moment I am taking anti inflamatory meds and go back on Thursday afternoon to find out if testing will be required. He said from what he could see and feel, that what I had wasn't typical of anything he could think of that could cause internal inflamation.
Boy, I bet you're glad you didn't have the pain while you were in the US. You don't want to be examined by deal with the US medical system and their doctors. That was a close call!;) Feel better.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
rellosk said:
Boy, I bet you're glad you didn't have the pain while you were in the US. You don't want to be examined by deal with the US medical system and their doctors. That was a close call!;) Feel better.

I sure am glad since I wouldn't have gotten an appointment until next week and would have paid US$400 instead of RD$400.

Rocky, that is very interesting input about your sister. I'm going to mention that to the doctor when I see him on Thursday. Could be that is the answer, since what he saw wasn't typical of any of the likely causes of internal inflamation. Thanks for passing on the information. You earned that candy bar.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Ken said:
The money cost of RD$8,000 for a new motherboard was painful, but worse was that he had to reformat the hard disk, which meant that all the programs, bookmarks, etc., accumulated over the past few years were lost. So today I have been very busy obtaining my firewall and other lost security programs.

Glad to have you back Ken!

When I hear some of the stories here with computer techs I shake my head.

Most use a sledge hammer to crack a nut and know very little idea about common sense fault finding techniques.

Don't they back up stuff?
What about carrying a spare bootable drive and dumping the clients old data on to that?

Format the hard disk is another way of saying...
"I have no clue what I'm doing".

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
and to add

Robert said:
Glad to have you back Ken!

When I hear some of the stories here with computer techs I shake my head.

Most use a sledge hammer to crack a nut and know very little idea about common sense fault finding techniques.

Don't they back up stuff?
What about carrying a spare bootable drive and dumping the clients old data on to that?

Format the hard disk is another way of saying...
"I have no clue what I'm doing".
You should partition that Hard Drive, just in case you have to re-format the drive, your critical information will be on the other partition. Or ghosting your hard-drive. Partition Magic works well. http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Rocky said:
Everytime my sister visits from Canada, her ankles swell up and are so painful, she has trouble walking.
She attributes it to flying.
I know nothing about it, other than it happens to her everytime she visits me.
I think she calls it water retention.
It goes away by itself in 2 or 3 days.
Great to hear you're back safe & sound.

I have the same problem and always thought it was a gout crisis.