residency denied !!!!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If I were the older couple, I'd hesitate to make a major deal of it.
Travel in/out of the country as long as possible (perhaps forever) paying the overstay fee.

If that becomes impossible, then perhaps pursue other avenues if intent on remaining here.
Otherwise, I'm not sure I'd bring myself to the attention of any powers that could a) potentially kick me out or b) prevent my re-entry on a tourist visa.

Or, discretely have an attorney check into it.

Good advice. Creating a tempest in a teapot hardly seems advisable.

Whether or not these people are being deported is still not known. I hope the OP will soon clarify this. If they aren't, I wonder why the thread was even started, except to let us know that the government is enforcing its rules reqarding requirements for residency.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
The idea of this thread is to stir up animosity towards the DR's "unfair and illogical" methods of applying its immigration laws. Or at least thats what most expats weary of the new laws would have us believe through this thread.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The idea of this thread is to stir up animosity towards the DR's "unfair and illogical" methods of applying its immigration laws. Or at least thats what most expats weary of the new laws would have us believe through this thread.

If you are happy with the new Immigration laws feel free to comment.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
If you are happy with the new Immigration laws feel free to comment.

I'm Dominican, they dont affect me in any way. One thing is certain thought, during my very short schooling (four years of University) in the States of Massachusetts, I complied with each and every immigration law that was requested of me.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm Dominican, they dont affect me in any way. One thing is certain thought, during my very short schooling (four years of University) in the States of Massachusetts, I complied with each and every immigration law that was requested of me.

And without making a big fuss about it, right?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Speaking of the US. They do a pretty nice job of changing Immigration Laws themselves. See Arizona for example.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
This is fine. B u t - you cannot contrast your situation with the situation of many residents now here in the Dominican Republic, I guess.
Residents beeing here since long years p.e., now older, having invested much into their live, into the country here and
having done all perfect with their papers all the years.
But this new rules can create lots of problems for some of us, even the older ones who normally now have their "center of their life" here in DR.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
i know of 2 cases where people have been denied their residency for different reasons,

first of all i would understand if people apply for the first time and an illness is detected that the residency maybe denied for obvious reasons, but not after more then 10 years since they got there first residency.

the first case is an older very decent couple, both have been living here for more then 15 years with an 1 mio us plus investment in this country, both have final cancer, and have now been denied the residency.

the second case is a mid aged couple, married, also with 1 mio us dollar investment in property and here for more then 20 years. he got and the child got the residency, and SHE got denied, not too sure about the exact reason on that one, but she sure is no criminal.

my question is first, where is it WRITTEN that allows the goverment to deny their visa for those reasons, and second isn't it again any and all human rights to kick you out of a country where you have invested, worked and lived for half of your life ??? these people have no other life then what they have here, this is against any legal rights the way i see it

Did these people already had residency or was it the first time they applied for residency?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
And without making a big fuss about it, right?
i'm with you. spent lat 10 years abroad, here now and in the UK earlier. always legal and providing all documents necessary. well, not without throwing an occasional fit of f**ks but nonetheless :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This is fine. B u t - you cannot contrast your situation with the situation of many residents now here in the Dominican Republic, I guess.
Residents beeing here since long years p.e., now older, having invested much into their live, into the country here and
having done all perfect with their papers all the years.
But this new rules can create lots of problems for some of us, even the older ones who normally now have their "center of their life" here in DR.

Sabra,
I posted , in a different thread about one of my daughters who lived w/ us in the US and went to school there from 3rd grade thru college... almost 15 yrs of her 22 years.

We are Cdn citizens.

After college she applied for and given employment.

Visa denied for lack of work experience - deported.

Remember, US educational visas allow for 4 yrs of schooling and another year (OP) to enter the marketplace and apply those newly learned skills.
However, there is no allowance for entry at that point.... my daughter's case in point.

Many people are not used to changing countries and find the system flawed.
It may very well be flawed - but any recourse is very difficult.

The host country holds all the cards.

AS a Cdn, I have held a green card, TN for 3yrs and 3 E-2's @ 5yrs each.
In total over 20 yrs of contribution to the US tax system.

I have no legitimate route to apply for residency..... not that I want it.

Of course you SHOULD get the F*** out if you feel that way...If you stand your country even less, that is no excuse...there are about 200 countries to choose from...The DR is only ONE...and a fairly small one at that.

Never live in a place that you feel is not right for you. Move to another.

Instead for answering my post, you should instead look at the first post in this thread. Then maybe- MAYBE you have microscopic chance to understand why we who has invested in this country are frustrated.
If you were living in this country, you would have understood how serious this thread is for us Gringos who leave every pesos we have in the local shops and buisnesses each month.

Maybe you would have felt better if it was you who got the message from the ignorant morons who run this country- Sorry you are not wanted here even you have invested a small fortune here. Btw: No reason for us telling you this. F##k off Gringo.

If this as happening in another country against a Dominican the "race card" would have been drawn long time ago.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Sovereign

if people have worked, invested, employed Dominicans, paid there taxes basically given everything of there life to this country, and now they want to kick you out, this will have international consequences, there are international laws and rules that are being broken, i think not even MR. dickhead Dominican lawmaker can go over these laws and rules.

A sovereign government can and will do what it wants in its own country.
Specifically on immigration and access control.
Dominican Citizenship is one consideration if you want to live here for ever.

As an example if a US CBP officer denies entry at the airport or border you have no recourse....... bye bye.
Well, one could appeal good luck!

Admission into United States - CBP.gov

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A sovereign government can and will do what it wants in its own country.
Specifically on immigration and access control.
Dominican Citizenship is one consideration if you want to live here for ever.

As an example if a US CBP officer denies entry at the airport or border you have no recourse....... bye bye.
Well, one could appeal good luck!

Admission into United States - CBP.gov

Absolutely true.... my immigration lawyer warned me NEVER to argue w/ those people.

They have no 'supervisor' you can call on for a better decision.... they interpret the law as they see it - period.
Appeal? Next stop Federal Court.

And believe, they are not all geniuses (genii ?)... I have had to explain my status to many of them

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Perfect

Instead for answering my post, you should instead look at the first post in this thread. Then maybe- MAYBE you have microscopic chance to understand why we who has invested in this country are frustrated.
If you were living in this country, you would have understood how serious this thread is for us Gringos who leave every pesos we have in the local shops and buisnesses each month.

Maybe you would have felt better if it was you who got the message from the ignorant morons who run this country- Sorry you are not wanted here even you have invested a small fortune here. Btw: No reason for us telling you this. F##k off Gringo.

If this as happening in another country against a Dominican the "race card" would have been drawn long time ago.

Everyone has to search their own heart and apply logic.
Everyone who lives here or another Latin country understands the differences.
If you live and invest in a country one should make an informed decision and take a known risk.
If you live 10-15 years in country you should have an allegiance to this country and take citizenship, or consider returning to the country of origin.
Some other countries do not allow foreign land ownership.
Hope we all find our personal perfect place, while accepting some imperfections.
A Taino once said:
"Perfection is not attainable,
Therefore we shall not search for it"!............. or was it Buddah? :classic:

On real estate investment:
If one invests a million it should be play money!
Why else would you pay a mil in a third world country? Value for your investment ROI.
If you worry about money pay between 40-150K and be prepared to walk way if need be.
Surely everyone realizes that you can't take the property with you.
On selling with a profit and quickly there are enough threads and opinions on DR1.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Speaking of the US. They do a pretty nice job of changing Immigration Laws themselves. See Arizona for example.

Ok, I'll bite.

Arizona doesn't make immigration laws. Border states attempt to deal with the lack of enforcement at the federal level, but have no authority to pass immigration laws.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Absolutely true.... my immigration lawyer warned me NEVER to argue w/ those people.

They have no 'supervisor' you can call on for a better decision.... they interpret the law as they see it - period.
Appeal? Next stop Federal Court.

And believe, they are not all geniuses (genii ?)... I have had to explain my status to many of them

What did your lawyer say about making a complaint to President Medina's Facebook page, as has been suggested?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

I do not have any information except on Haitians.. who are, I believe the major group that is the issue here... and many Haitians who have been resident here legally for years are simply not having their cedulas renewed. That is a known policy within the government and most Haitians understand that.

I do not understand why it is that so many ex pats of means get so upset about their residency papers. I have yet to ever be asked for my residency papers or cedula.

As far as I can see it is most useful for a driving license and getting in and out of the airport with no fees. Plus, of course, those who need to work here.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
mountainannie #37 wrote:

"I do not understand why it is that so many ex pats of means get so upset about their residency papers. I have yet to ever be asked for my residency papers or cedula."

So may I ask you what you recommend instead of trying to have correct papers? Staying illegal here? I am not upset
(being upset never is helpful). But I like to have a correct background and now am thinking if I will be able to meet the current requirements for renovation of resideny.

Your remark because of the haitian people here: what i see, regularly they are deporting Haitian's from a nearby barrio p.e.
And regularly some of Haitian guys, working in our area in different properties since years are asking us for help for paying visa.

:confused:

dom

Jun 1, 2011
the persons denied have always had there residencias and visas, since first came here.

they just went to renew them.

the thread was in fact just started to let everyone know about the situation and maybe to get someones attention of the unfair and illogical treatment that foreigners are experiencing and as i can see there are actually a few that understand the fact that if you have invested money and work/life wise they should not be allowed to just deny your right to live the country that is your home. for the ignorants who don't should just keep there bs for them self.

also if you would have read the whole thing i clearly stated that if it is your first time that you apply and they deny the visa because of illness or whatever it would be totally acceptable, but not after living in the country for 20 years then get cancer, and then the country decides oh no, we dont want you anymore but hey thanks for feeding all these workers, paying taxes and investing so much money and confidence in our great country but you must go now.