residency denied !!!!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
IMO, it all depends whom and what we are talking about.

1. Let's face it. We all shall die. Most likely from some illness in later years. So, do you accept, that some MdG doctor (Do we know whether he is really a 'medico'?) can deny you a renewal of your residency (which, let us assume you have held for 20 years) because you have some cancer (as we know is not contageous)?

2. Is this 'doctor's' decision bound by any rules, list of illnesses, a second opinion?

3. Breast cancer in women, colon cancer in men.
Throw them out, yeah....

Ken, I wish you an old age in good health.

donP

No question that bad things happen to good people. And the older you get, the more likely this is. I am sure I know this better than you, since i think that I have more miles under my belt than you.

But the issue in my mind is whether or not these people are being deported, or denied residency. If being deported, then a terrible injustice will have been committed.

If residency not renewed but they can continue to live in the country and their homes, I understand the decision. ( It would be interesting to know how their serious medical condition came to the attention of the authorities. )

The possibility of this happening was signaled by the information on changes in residency that was reported on DR1. As I recall, both income and health were to be looked at more closely for people beyond a certain age.

Maybe it will happen to me when I go to renew in 2014. I hope not, but there are no guarantees. Also, I have never felt that I was guaranteed permanent residency. I chose not to become a citizen and still have no intention of applying for citizenship. Which means that every few years I must renew my residency, which means that the government has retained the right to not renew. I don't like to hear that it has happened to good people, but I respect the right of the government, any government, to decide who is to have official residency.

I wish the OP would answer the question asked and repeated by various posters: are these people being deported?

It would also be interesting to know whether the people themselves were represented or are now being represented by an attorney and whether they are actively protesting the decision.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Ken #61

"I wish the OP would answer the question asked and repeated by various posters: are these people being deported?"

This I would like to know as well.
In case they are not deported, they have to live here without residency. More or less illegal?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
When living in a foreign country one must accept the fact that they will need to adhere to the immigration laws of that country. Good, bad, fair or unfair one must accept it. It is your own personal decision whether you do this or not. But if in the end not doing it results in serious problems you really can't complain about it. I personally think the problem most have with the "new" laws are not so much the laws itself but they way it is being or not being enforced.

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
So much for the old saying: "Permanent-Residents are just like native Dominicans except they can't run for office"
You sure don't hear people saying that anymore.

Now it's more like Permanent-Residents are the scapegoats for Dominican incompetence.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
One of the points trying to be made is:

Once you are accepted, you should not later be kicked out because you got sick.
Should the U.S. kick out all the Dominicans that have gotten sick since their acceptance to the U.S.?

Should they?

Probably not, it doesn't seem like a rational cause for dismissal of their residency to me.

Can they?

Absolutely! It's their Country and their laws and that's the only "point" that counts.

Do you think that it's right for the U.S. government to dangle legal residency and a path to citizenship to Dominican and Panamanian and other Caribbean and Latin American youth in return for signing up and fighting in our wars? Why do you think we haven't had to implement a draft since 1973 even though we manned simultaneous wars? Many Mothers of Sons and Daughters who won't be coming home alive don't think it was a fair tradeoff and neither do I but it's policy and we live with it until a time comes when we can influence a change. That time may never come.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Taino808 I think you missed the point that Lindsey was making. Now each time a resident goes through a renewal for residency there is a new physical given. That means if you fail that physical your residency will not be renewed.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Free

The U. S. kicks out Dominicans on a daily basis, and for many varying reasons. We get kicked out for drug dealing, theft, murder and for driving drunk of all things. Nevertheless we hardly get deported for being terminally ill or overstaying our visas, mainly because most Dominicans arrive with their immigration papers already in order. Thus, once Dominicans are within the continental United States, there's hardly any need for us to face immigration personnel again.

If a Dominican becomes terminally ill, immigration never gets wind of this, saving us the hassle of being deported. Moral of the story, if there is one, expats put your papers in order, before becoming terminally ill, this way government officials won't ever know you suffer from a disease that would hinder you from staying within the country.

Not to mention that Dominicans and Haitians are de facto prisoners of their countries.
Try to travel or get a visa for US,CAN, or Europe.
Wouldn't it be nice if they could travel like other citizens, and be treated as free citizens of the world?
We're all at the mercy of governments and their regulations.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Too Late

Yes, of course you are correct. But in the DR, first there is temporary residency, then permanent. Each must periodically be renewed, along with the physical. Thus, the opportunity for rejection by DR immigration for medical reasons occurs over and over again.

Lindsey

I have little sympathy for people who invest a million in real estate, and live in the country for 20 years without becoming citizens.
They demonstrated NO allegiance to this country and now they are crying.
No advance planing, too little too late!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Not to mention that Dominicans and Haitians are de facto prisoners of their countries.
Try to travel or get a visa for US,CAN, or Europe.
Wouldn't it be nice if they could travel like other citizens, and be treated as free citizens of the world?
We're all at the mercy of governments and their regulations.

Access should carry reciprocity. I agree.

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
I have little sympathy for people who invest a million in real estate, and live in the country for 20 years without becoming citizens.
They demonstrated NO allegiance to this country and now they are crying.
No advance planing, too little too late!

I agree with the part about the people who invest $1,000,000 U.S.D. and live here for 20 years.

Yaaa, they should be the ones to get punished.

Not the ones who don't invest even one dollar in the D-R, but one day after getting their Permanent-Residency leave for 2 years returning to their country of origin and coming back only for the one week to apply for dominican citizenship after those 2 years are up.

You keep-up that frame of thought (your logic) and your beloved country will be full of new Dominican citizens who are not patriotic one bit to this country.

Last edited:

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
"So much for the old saying: "Permanent-Residents are just like native Dominicans except they can't run for office"

Just like in the US there is and always will be a difference between permanent resident versus citizen. Even though running for office is a very obvious well known fact there are many other "laws" a permanent resident is subject to. For a permanent resident in the US breaking and or not complying with one of these can get someone deported. Just like here it is randomly used. The DR is not any different than the US in that matter. The only difference is how it is enforced and because the government system here can be rather questionable at times in the end the law is the law. In the US for example when someone receives permanent residence it is assumed that citizenship will follow, I know that is not always the case because I too know many who would prefer green card status over citizenship but that is the way immigration law is structured. It is assumed (right or wrong) that if one starts the process of becoming a permanent resident then their intention is to be come a citizen. I see that the DR may be trying to mimic the immigration process of the US. It just needs some "tweaking" before enforcing it. But in the end if your host country tells you that in order to stay and live here you must do A,B and C, well then it is your obligation to do so no matter whether you agree with it or not.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The problem we all have, I think, is having to deal with such a radical change. Virtually over night we are going from going to SD, paying our money and waiting for our new residency carnet to going to SD, paying our money and waiting to see if our residency will be extended.

The OP's report makes clear that the government is really serious, at least at present time, about choosing who will get residency.

It is unlikely to ever be the same as before with respect to residency.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think the lawyers will be getting a windfall.

Personally, I will be enlisting the assistance of a lawyer whose family has been lawyering since the 1920's.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Personally, I will be enlisting the assistance of a lawyer whose family has been lawyering since the 1920's.

I think you are right. I have never used a lawyer to help with renewal, but when I must renew in 2014 I most certainly will.

I think you need a lawyer who is not only capable and honest but who has some influence in immigration.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
.Gov

Along with the lawyers the governments also rake in the cash.
Ultimately it's all about revenue.

At the moment I'm dealing with three governments.
Certifying certificates, legalizing and notarizing.
All in various denominations of Dollars and Euros, no one wants pesos even the Dominicans.
After a while this is costing real money.
If it wasn't for the time and money it would almost be funny....the idiocy of it all.
I could have stayed home..... too late for that, I'm a traveller and can't stay in one place!
This board is full of people like this, and we take our lumps.:laugh::mad::disappoin:p

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
To file for US permanent residency is about $1490 for the I 485 and the I 130 and the biometric fee. This does not include the fee for the physical exam, translation of documents, etc.. This is if you do it yourself without the help of a immigration lawyer.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
To file for US permanent residency is about $1490 for the I 485 and the I 130 and the biometric fee. This does not include the fee for the physical exam, translation of documents, etc.. This is if you do it yourself without the help of a immigration lawyer.

Add $3k for the lawyer. There are a few lawyers in Washington DC who used to work for INS back in the day and will guarrantee approval for $5K and up. Guarranteed. The rules are the same in the U.S. the prices are just higher. There's a way around everything.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Add $3k for the lawyer. There are a few lawyers in Washington DC who used to work for INS back in the day and will guarrantee approval for $5K and up. Guarranteed. The rules are the same in the U.S. the prices are just higher. There's a way around everything.

Holy crap, what a racket...

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Holy crap, what a racket...

It's big business. I know a few guys earning a cool quarter mil a year on top of gov't pensions for the part time immigration services and they deliver. When I read all the stories of corruption coming out of Dominican Today and the details involved I look around Washington DC and think about what amateurs they have running around Santo Domingo. The key to respect in the thieving business is simple: Steal Big.