Restaurants in colonial zone

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I went there a lot of times with wife and kids. No way to feed 4 for 562 pesos. What you got? 4 x white rice for take away? :D

Four bowls of rice and water sounds about right..........

You can't buy 4 - plato del dias at Cafeteria Comedor Mary on calle santiago one block in from gomez for 562 pesos. (putting a plug in for Cafeteria Comedor Mary...lol)

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Ole big bird you dont get tired of me consistently proving you know absolutely nothing. But I dont want to be threatened to be banned again when your friends get upset.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
actually, The Bird is a laid back kind of guy..... not much ruffles his feathers.

Mac in Brass... you gourmand.... what are you doing slumming on 400 peso meals.???
Get back to better cuisine...

As for the hookers/gays

The gays don't like me --
The girls --- another story..

there I am going for dinner in the ZC not long ago - wife lagging behind doing her Insta photos

Beautiful - really beautiful - chica approaches and opens with the weather
Then extends her hand and introduces herself
Stretches her neck for a cheek kiss (both sides)...
asks my name

I explain that mi esposa is trailing behind....
she throws her hands in the air & says ... Adios

It was hard letting her go - a real beauty....

It was before 8pm

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
WW..what a stud you are!."It was hard letting her go - a real beauty...." Got a chuckle out of that although I probably read too much into it.:laugh:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Oh - come on... she started it....
as she likely does every few hours

But - Yes - Dudley Studly would have taken her out of her poor life

Back to the castle....
And lived happily ever after

You gotta kiss a few frogs............

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
actually, The Bird is a laid back kind of guy..... not much ruffles his feathers.

Mac in Brass... you gourmand.... what are you doing slumming on 400 peso meals.???

As for the hookers/gays

there I am going for dinner in the ZC not long ago - wife lagging behind doing her Insta photos

asks my name

It was before 8pm

I live on Pacos Plato del dia, Sometimes I get a topping of meat since the meat portions are generally small, this applies to most places.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013

As for the hookers/gays

asks my name

It was before 8pm

You didn't ask the going rate for a threesome?? Geez William what were you thinking. If she was as good looking as you say the esposa might be interested.
You never know until you ask.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
There are plenty of places to eat for under 200 pesos in zona colonial. I have no idea what some of these people are talking about.

7. Petrus has a buffet during lunch hours. It's under 200 pesos

Petrus lunch buffet is definitely 225 pesos because I went there today. They have nothing for under 200 pesos.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I also agree with Bigbird (as always) the food at Villar Hnos has never been good. Looks nice but the buffet is generally almost cold and tasteless. I don't think you're allowed to take the buffet food into the garden area, that's the part where they do table service. It's not expensive, but it's definitely not somewhere where you can feed 4 people for 600 pesos. I have been all over this island, even to the back and beyond areas like Rancho Arriba and Neyba, and I have never ever fed 4 people for 600 pesos. Certainly not with anything to drink included.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
I also agree with Bigbird (as always) the food at Villar Hnos has never been good. Looks nice but the buffet is generally almost cold and tasteless. I don't think you're allowed to take the buffet food into the garden area, that's the part where they do table service. It's not expensive, but it's definitely not somewhere where you can feed 4 people for 600 pesos. I have been all over this island, even to the back and beyond areas like Rancho Arriba and Neyba, and I have never ever fed 4 people for 600 pesos. Certainly not with anything to drink included.
Lmao more proof these people have no idea what they're talking about. The Garden area has a buffet too. Go there tomorrow before 3pm and tell me what you see. And the food was warm. Again like I tell your friend, stop talking about things you do not know!

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
For 200 pesos, it may not be the healthiest food, but I'd have you stuffed like a pig. But most of these places I listed are buffets.

Yes a plata el dia is usually 100-150 pesos and is enough to fill a person. We feed the school kids on 50 pesos for lunch with standard dominican grub. Chicken, rice, beans, spaghetti, eggs and a salad.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Btw villar hermanos is dirt cheap. I just literally spent 562 pesos for 4 people. I dont know why they're saying it would be around 400-500 pesos per person and that included are non-alcoholic. That's ridiculous. I swear I wonder if some of yall really live here lol

If you are going to be in the Zone for more than a week, I would certainly recommend that you find Villar- which is a lovely 5-10 minute walk up Independencia from Parque --past the Cemetery on the corner of Pasteur. There you will actually be able to eat really healthy food - a full Dominican breakfast - for instance - along with such veggies as available. (I found that it is hard to find a lot of well prepared/served/ veggies in the DR despite the fact that they have such AMAZING veggies). Agreed that the fare is not very high end but they make the best Cubano sandwich!

If you walk up Pasteur to the next block - between Pasteur & Casi del Moyra (sp?) - you will find "Chez Phillippe" which is run by a Frenchman and serves an amazingly well prepared lunch menu for ?? (was about 250 2 years ago). The cafeteria in the Clinic Abreu (oddly enough) also has a good little kitchen - pork chops, rice, some veggies.. fresh juices. Across the park in back of the Clinic is a - I think - Beligian run restaurant - which serves fabulous food (a bit more expensive) - and specialties such as fondue.

Please do not make the mistake of eating fast food like pizza from Dominios where you are there. There is so much more!

I would caution that Villar and Chez Phillippe are VERY crowded during the lunch hour - so best to go before 11 or after 2.

And that Villar has the BEST Italian expresso coffee maker -- folks come from Nato for the coffee!

enjoy!

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
If you are going to be in the Zone for more than a week, I would certainly recommend that you find Villar- which is a lovely 5-10 minute walk up Independencia from Parque --past the Cemetery on the corner of Pasteur. There you will actually be able to eat really healthy food - a full Dominican breakfast - for instance - along with such veggies as available. (I found that it is hard to find a lot of well prepared/served/ veggies in the DR despite the fact that they have such AMAZING veggies). Agreed that the fare is not very high end but they make the best Cubano sandwich!

If you walk up Pasteur to the next block - between Pasteur & Casi del Moyra (sp?) - you will find "Chez Phillippe" which is run by a Frenchman and serves an amazingly well prepared lunch menu for ?? (was about 250 2 years ago). The cafeteria in the Clinic Abreu (oddly enough) also has a good little kitchen - pork chops, rice, some veggies.. fresh juices. Across the park in back of the Clinic is a - I think - Beligian run restaurant - which serves fabulous food (a bit more expensive) - and specialties such as fondue.

Please do not make the mistake of eating fast food like pizza from Dominios where you are there. There is so much more!

I would caution that Villar and Chez Phillippe are VERY crowded during the lunch hour - so best to go before 11 or after 2.

And that Villar has the BEST Italian expresso coffee maker -- folks come from Nato for the coffee!

enjoy!

Now you sound like a person who actually knows. I've never been to Chez Phillipe so I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation. And isnt there like a cheap Indian vegan restaurant on that street too? I've never been inside but it always looks busy.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Now you sound like a person who actually knows. I've never been to Chez Phillipe so I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation. And isnt there like a cheap Indian vegan restaurant on that street too? I've never been inside but it always looks busy.

I lived right by the corner of Pasteur for 12 years-- so - yeah - I do know. The vegetarian restaurant (I want to call it Gandhi's- but I think that is the name of all the Indian restaurants around me now in Florida) - has a very good buffet and a lovely cafeteria garden style. It also has the Best Bread - I mean whole wheat loaves rather than the typical "sheet rock" style white bread available (don't get me wrong- I love the pan de aqua). The other place that serves vegetarian food is the cafeteria run by the 7th Day Adventist off Gomez right across from the big Chinese place... (which also serves a decent meal although for actual Chinese food you have to go down to China town in SD - which does indeed have some v/good restaurants. I have never been to China but I did grow up in Manhattan and used to regularly eat in Chinatown. The majority of the Chinese "restaurants" in SD are the "pica pollo" types that, frankly, I avoided if there was anything else around.)

Also on the block where La Cadena is - there is a Topico restaurant which has a good plato. And another - larger Topico on the next block and one down - on the way to Bolivar. You can just walk around that area and see where the locals are eating at lunch time. Dominicans tend to eat a pretty healthy diet - the Plato del Dia in most of the Tipicos will be a little bit of chicken, rice with a small bit of salad/coleslaw...

As a money saving tip - in most of the Topicos you can ask if they have "aqua de la casa?" and they will bring you a pitcher of water from their own 5 gallon purified supply. If you - as a gringo - just ask for "agua" they will bring you a bottle of Dasani water which will set you back another $1. When I went out with my Dominican assistant, she said that the owners "would be flattered because it means that you trust them." -- another way to ask for it is "vaso de aqua" - This will also cut down a bit on the number of plastic bottles that are forever washing up down the Ozama and up the Malecon.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
As a money saving tip - in most of the Topicos you can ask if they have "aqua de la casa?" and they will bring you a pitcher of water from their own 5 gallon purified supply. If you - as a gringo - just ask for "agua" they will bring you a bottle of Dasani water which will set you back another $1. When I went out with my Dominican assistant, she said that the owners "would be flattered because it means that you trust them." -- another way to ask for it is "vaso de aqua" - This will also cut down a bit on the number of plastic bottles that are forever washing up down the Ozama and up the Malecon.

Thanks E!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
for lunch think plato de dia is 100-150rd try la deliciosa santo domingo.
2 blocks up from the Malecon on corner of sanchez and arzobispo portes