Rights when stopped by police

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Do you mean to say that all of the officers might not be on the up and up? I'm aghast. ;)

Well you should be, I've been told on a previous thread that Dominican men are one step away from sainthood....and I've got 2 threatening PM's to prove it...
From the same person....

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
I was stopped many times in Santo Domingo and at highway checkpoints , the first question is "tienes arma de fuego?". I have the gun and all my papers are up-to-date, but if I stopped by a motorcycle patrol, they always want some money for a humburger or beer, and sometimes they get off only if I start to call my lawyer. At the checkpoints it's usually no problems with that.

Last year I was stopped in Santo Domingo at 5 PM at checkpoint on Av. Republica de Colombia, I was very tired and I forgot to empty the gun, they took it to their car for one minute, then said ok, everything is fine, returned the gun to me... so at home I found that four rounds were stolen from the magazine. That's a shame. I agree that dumbest people in this country work in police patrols.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Well you should be, I've been told on a previous thread that Dominican men are one step away from sainthood....and I've got 2 threatening PM's to prove it...
From the same person....

You should know better, only a Dominican can put a Dominican down in any way shape or form, even if in doing so he/she is agreeing with you.:pirate:

Reactions: waytogo

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
May I add if they say: Dame algo para las cervezitas and you have an extra 50 bucks go ahead and give it to him...

50 dollars? :surprised
that'll buy an election! (and assure he stops you again next time he sees you)

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Wow. I've never experienced that myself, but now it makes sense why the police don't want guns in cars.

I wonder if the guys resorted to gunfire because their horns were broken. And I suppose I'm assuming too much by saying "guys". Some of the dear ladies can be just a bit aggressive on the road, too.

Thanks for the answer to my question. Now, back to the thread...

Wow. I'm waiting for a better answer, as I have never experienced that either. Wondering what part of the city he drives in. I try to stay out of capitillo.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
If the checkpoint does not have a vehicle, just wave and smile as you drive by. If it has a vehicle, stop and say "I no speakie the spanie."

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Wow. I'm waiting for a better answer, as I have never experienced that either. Wondering what part of the city he drives in. I try to stay out of capitillo.
5 years here, never have seen this even in Capotillo.

If the checkpoint does not have a vehicle, just wave and smile as you drive by.

If you don't stop, you can catch a bullet through your rear window. You may try this with AMET, but never with PN.

Reactions: bienamor

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
if it is a real checkpoint and they have no vehicle but you drive on, expect to simply get shot.

Mike

There were actually a few news articles in Dominican Today (Hoy) about this in the past few weeks. The gist of it is that, since there is no capital punishment in the new constitution, the chief of police should tell officers not to shoot people who refuse to stop at police commands.

I'm waiting to see how all that works out, but in the meantime, I would highly caution AGAINST not stopping.

Remember: your friends and family can bail you out of jail, but no amount of money is going to pay your way out of the cemetery.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
50 dollars? :surprised
that'll buy an election! (and assure he stops you again next time he sees you)

Sorry, 50 pesos, my bad.

For 50 dollars I'll fight to death with the damn cop :D

And MikeFisher is correct, there is an obscene amount of illegal guns around in the DR, so somehow they want to control that.

Last edited:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
There were actually a few news articles in Dominican Today (Hoy) about this in the past few weeks. The gist of it is that, since there is no capital punishment in the new constitution, the chief of police should tell officers not to shoot people who refuse to stop at police commands.

I'm waiting to see how all that works out, but in the meantime, I would highly caution AGAINST not stopping.

Remember: your friends and family can bail you out of jail, but no amount of money is going to pay your way out of the cemetery.

why should the Chief of Police advice such??
we are talking about full checkpoints where PN and Military stop the traffic on the Road, we usually do not know at the first moment why they put that roadblock on, it may be for a simple check for illegal weapons, and it may be because they search for a specific vehicle or specific wanted Persons in that area, driving through brings up the impression that you may be the driver of the wanted person, they would never catch anybody if they would not shoot on the stupids who think a roadblock is nothing for their bigmouth.
I would guess to try to drive around a Police or Military Roadblock in the USA would relult in shots on the tires, I know in Germany your Car would be most likely ''not repairable'' afterwards.
on a real checkpoint, where many uniforms and weapons stop the Traffic, stop your darn Car and present them the papers they ask for.
if you don't have that documentation means anyways that you are exactly what they are looking for, a illegal on the road.

and a new feature:
yesterday at a rodblock here the foreign drivers who hold a Gun Permit been also asked for their Residency Card, for a foreigner the Cedula is worthless in case of the legitimation of the Gun Permits, the same for the Dominican Drivers License.
never heard that before, been new to me.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
JJ
that has all it's sense, no doubt.
but have you ever been with a "operativo" when been looked for somebody on the list of fuggitives??, when the Police enters a place where they know the bad guy is,
and seen how many guns and movements come up at such place/situation??
who get's shot on that is dead, yeas, but just because he been a dumbhead who wanted to act together with his big mouth friends aganst the approaching authorities. I saw that often enough, and it will go on, because they are all big balls Machitos.
a Police or Military Member of such opereativo who does not shoot the Nuthead who carries a Gun and starts shouting and waving on such, would be a bad officer and a danger for his collegues for not shooting the Idiot right away.
Mike

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
and a new feature:
yesterday at a rodblock here the foreign drivers who hold a Gun Permit been also asked for their Residency Card, for a foreigner the Cedula is worthless in case of the legitimation of the Gun Permits, the same for the Dominican Drivers License.
never heard that before, been new to me.
Mike

Wait so i have a cedula and gun permit but have a NYS Drivers License Never even bothered to get a dominican license! What does that mean? my gun gets taken away cause i dont have a dominican drivers license? hmm ima have to go to a libreria and buy a book copy of the new constitution and have it with me in my car in case i get pulled over!

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Sort of related

I never realized so many people carry guns in their cars here. I'm never giving anyone the finger again.

I do understand the need for protection, however.

So, does anyone know if there are regulations regarding carrying a tazer in my car? And does anyone know where I can get a tazer?

And I realize that a tazer is not as effective as a gun against a gang, but I'm thinking I can tazer the leader and run over the others easier than I can shoot the entire gang.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Wait so i have a cedula and gun permit but have a NYS Drivers License Never even bothered to get a dominican license! What does that mean? my gun gets taken away cause i dont have a dominican drivers license? hmm ima have to go to a libreria and buy a book copy of the new constitution and have it with me in my car in case i get pulled over!

many countries,like also my homecountry Germany, see it the simple way:
you are not reliable enough to carry a simple thing like a valid drivers license, then you are not reliable enough to carry a Gun.
the same for the lil failures like driving under the influence of a lil bit of alcohol, a clear sign you are irresponsible, the moment you get caught driving under the influence of alcohol you do not just loose your drivers license, the same moment you loose the license to carry a Gun.
the same for drug abuse etc etc.
the US Laws are not that different on such.
the Dominican neither.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

you been misreading the point anyways.
Your Gun does not get taken away because you drive illegally without a local drivers license, I was writing about the up to date renewed Residency they asked for.
at the moment your Residency Card expires at the same moment your Gun Permit Expires, or did you never read the papers you got handed over when you obtained your Gun Permit??
Mike