Rights when stopped by police

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
If you already positioned yourself BELOW them, you have no rights if stopped by police, like poor motoconcho driver without helmet. But not all the people here do the same, trust me ))) If you are afraid of angry stray dog, the dog will bite you because dogs can feel your fear.

I am from one of the countries in Eastern Europe. Dominican police officers are innocent angels if compare them to police in my hometown. This police system is not something new for me, I know how to survive in worse world than this... And once again, I live 5 years in Santo Domingo. So try to scare somebody else.

Dude, you are a civilian, in their minds you already are below them, even if you make way more than them. Is that hard to understand?

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Dude, you are a civilian, in their minds you already are below them, even if you make way more than them. Is that hard to understand?

If they stop poor black guy on a cheap moped, he is a civilian and he is below them. If they stop a well connected rich man (lawyer, doctor, businessman etc) on new Land Cruiser, he is also civilian but they act different, because now they feel that they are below him, even with their badge and the gun. Generally, you don't need to have an expensive car etc, but you need to know how to act and what to say to make them feel that they are below you. And vice versa, you may drive new Land Cruiser, but if you look like you've got no balls they will f@ck you up. I hope that's not so hard to understand too.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
If they stop poor black guy on a cheap moped, he is a civilian and he is below them. If they stop a well connected rich man (lawyer, doctor, businessman etc) on new Land Cruiser, he is also civilian but they act different, because now they feel that they are below him, even with their badge and the gun. Generally, you don't need to have an expensive car etc, but you need to know how to act and what to say to make them feel that they are below you. And vice versa, you may drive new Land Cruiser, but if you look like you've got no balls they will f@ck you up. I hope that's not so hard to understand too.

If you look like you have balls on a Land Cruiser but nothing to back it up (connections) then you're beat up and then preso in the best of cases "por irrespetar la autoridad". They bother Jeepetas more because they can get more money from them. Dude you sound like you arrived in the DR last night, the DR is not Eastern Europe, adapt and learn.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
ExtremeR, I hope you do not really think that all the expats here are pensioners from US? )) If you have enough money and if you are smart enough, you will have connections after living some years here in the capital. There are many expats who are not giving a f**k about those stupid uniformed assh@les, really.

I don't want to continue this conversation. I don't need to have 1849 posts on this forum, I live in real life too, not only in front of my computer. I already wrote all that I wanted to write in this thread. My apologies to everybody here if it became a little bit offtopic.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
ExtremeR, I hope you do not really think that all the expats here are pensioners from US? )) If you have enough money and if you are smart enough, you will have connections after living some years here in the capital. There are many expats who are not giving a f**k about those stupid uniformed assh@les, really.

I don't want to continue this conversation. I don't need to have 1849 posts on this forum, I live in real life too, not only in front of my computer. I already wrote all that I wanted to write in this thread. My apologies to everybody here if it became a little bit offtopic.

My problem and beef is YOU giving extremely dangerous advice here in this forum to tourists and newly arrived ex-pats. I don't want to be back and fort with you neither as it is a waste of time, but please stop advising here towards treating the police with arrogance as it may lead to a tragedy.

I'm Dominican and several others who have posted in this thread are Dominicans, check our posts and you'll find out our posts are in line. We may know something you don't...

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Just a couple of examples (my personal experience).

One day I had serious traffic accident in the small sh@tty city at North Coast. The accident happened at 6 PM, and after PN involved in the case they wanted me to stay locked in their police station overnight. I tried to be friendly, but they did not want to let me go. Then I started to explain that I know some people who can help them to change their mind. I called my friends and my lawyer. After my lawyer explained something to officer on the phone, their faces changed from oligophrenic smile to sad look, and they waited more than 3 hours until the lawyer came there. In 5 minutes after he arrived I was a free person again. But if I had to choose "kiss the cop in the ass" tactics as ExtremeR suggested here, I could really spent the night in the cell with criminals.

Another day I had another problem, I don't want to write the full story here, but as a result of the story I met a fiscal adjunto accompanied by 3 police officers from very serious police department and waiting for me. And again, I could be arrested, but I started to explain that I'm not giving a f@ck because I know my rights and I know the right people. I called some of my friends, my lawyer came to resolve the situation, next day I visited fiscalia together with another lawyer (probably one of the best here), and all problems were resolved. But if I had to continue to stay calm and friendly, like ExtremeR suggested, I could be arrested for nothing by group of smiling idiots laughing at "stupid gringo".

To ExtremeR: I know what you say now that you are dominican and you know more.... but it's the same if I say that all dominicans only know how to dance bachata, how to be drunk all day at colmado and how to count 2+3 only using the calculator. Don't judge people if you don't know them in person. Most of dominicans are not friendly with logical thinking, so even if some people (I mean expats) know less than you about this country, they may know better how to act in some situations, because they think better and faster than average dominicans. However I am SO sorry that my opinion is so much different with yours and my advice here is DO NOT kiss the police in their asses and stand up for your rights. Of course you need to be polite, but never position yourself below them, because in this case they feel that they can do whatever they want to do with you, even if it's illegal.