Rights when stopped by police

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
the US Laws are not that different on such.

The US laws vary from state to state. For example, in Texas and Arizona, if you get caught driving drunk, you can keep your gun so long as you can prove that you can still shoot a person trying to cross the border illegally.

But I digress...

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
The US laws vary from state to state. For example, in Texas and Arizona, if you get caught driving drunk, you can keep your gun so long as you can prove that you can still shoot a person trying to cross the border illegally.

But I digress...

ha ha ha
o.k.,
I leave american Gun Laws to americans, no need to discuss anyways.
this Island is thanks God not that stupid, lol.
Mike

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
you been misreading the point anyways.
Your Gun does not get taken away because you drive illegally without a local drivers license, I was writing about the up to date renewed Residency they asked for.
at the moment your Residency Card expires at the same moment your Gun Permit Expires, or did you never read the papers you got handed over when you obtained your Gun Permit??
Mike

actually mike ive never had a residency! my parents are natural born dominicans which in accordance with the constitution gave me the right to become dominican! once i had turned 18!

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
and YES,
driving without a valid drivers license is reason enough to also NULL that Persons Gun Permit, so if hey want it strict they can take/keep your Gun for that, too.
Mike

but my license is valid just got it renewed in nyc also ;) and ive never had a problem when being pulled over so im guessing?????

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
but my license is valid just got it renewed in nyc also ;) and ive never had a problem when being pulled over so im guessing?????

but ive been meaning to get a dominican drivers license, what are the steps to do so? im in santiago so if theres anyway to explain doing everything over here would be appreciated.

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007

plus wouldnt my nys drivers license be legal? why wouldnt it be? i mean i understand that tourists can use it up to 30 days on a tarjeta de turista, but if i have a cedula does that mean that my license is no longer valid? just because i became citizen?

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Reading this makes me realize how lucky i've been driving in the DR so far. My only experiences with police check points has been remarkably easy so far - they just looked at me and waved me through. The most check points I ran into were to the east of Santo Domingo, between Bani and Barahona particularly. I've not run into any going from SD to Higuey or SD to Samana, SD to Jarabacoa.

I figure my rights are exactly what the nice police man tells me to do :)

Could the type of car your driving have anything to do with potential for being stopped? Like someone in a small car vs someone in an SUV?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
DJuno718,
so you are Dominican, no resoidency needed which could influence the validity of a Gun Permit like it does to foreigners, ha ha.
I don't know how it works to switch US Drivers licenses,
I did not bother to switch my intl European license for which I would have needed the assistance of the German Embassy in St Dgo, a real Pain in the AZZ that German Embassy, so I simply Did a Dominican Drivers license in the way like I would never have had an other one,
a driving school in Higuey signed the Papers that I took lessons there, sure I did not take any, by that Time I had my Intl drivers license since 25 year, lol, coted 3000 pesos, with that paper I went in Higuey at the Gubmint building to the AMET stand which they had there by that time and did the test for the Eyes, they took a blood sample and I did the theory Exam, which been 10 or 20 questions to be answered on a computer screen, been easy, all the procedure together took me around 2 hrs, and then they issued me my Provisional Drivers license.
that provisional license is valid max 1 year, 45 Days after beeing issued I drive to La Romana where I did the practice Excam, that took including waiting Time around 90 minutes, costed around 300 pesos, and they right away issued my permanent Dominican Drivers license valid for 4 years. it needs to get renewed every 4 years, that is just paying the Taxes, no more exams or such.
cheers
Mike

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Your NY license is not valid here for more than a short period of time after each time you enter the country. The exact time period I am not certain of but it is covered in other threads. You cannot exchange a US license for a DR license. You have to obtain a DR license by taking and passing the proper exams here in the DR.

Are the exams available in English? If not what kind of leeway are you given if anything at all.
Example, can you bring someone with you that speaks both languages and can translate for you, and then can they write the answer for you in Spanish.
What else can a non Spanish speaking person do?

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
I believe the exam is available in English in Santo Domingo and maybe in Santiago.

Also "Help";) is readily available in Puerto Plata to pass the tests.;)

It really is not anything to worry about. Just do it.

hmmm Help huh??? :laugh: sounds interesting! Mike thanks for the info!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Santo Domingo, Americans not sure on other countries.

no help unless previously requested(prior to the test)
No test in English according to DGTT
Cost $1380, for the form, vision test, blood test. overview, a video test, provisional license.
45 days later, $990 and the driving test this gets you a permanent license good for 4 years.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
in Higuey and in La Romana it been all only in spanish available.
street signs etc are anyways in spanish, so I guess who wanna understand signs should know a bit basic spanish.
I did the exams in spanish and it was really simple to understand spanish.
DJuno718,
I am really not informed about specifics with american drivers licenses in the DR, because between those 2 countries are in many things specific rules, different for what applies to other countries.
but for example a German visitor at the moemnt he get's o be a resident is no longer allowed to drive with his european drivers license, not even for any 30 days or such, because he is a resident, not on a visitors Visa, so the only valid license from Day one of the residency is the Dominican License.
You are Dominican Citizen, so I would guess you are not here with a Turist Viosa, because you are a dominican citizen, from my understanding of the Law you been never allowed to drive with your New York License, as a Dominican driver you need the Dominican Drivers license.
but maybe there's some kind of exception rules/law for Dominicans who have also US American Citizenship, I am no expert on those rules.
maybe Fabio could fill us in that Dot.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

Cost $1380, for the form, vision test, blood test. overview, a video test, provisional license.
45 days later, $990 and the driving test this gets you a permanent license good for 4 years.

correct, I just saw I wrote 300 pesos in my prior Post, that's wrong, it is 990.- pesos Fee like you state.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

correct, I just saw I wrote 300 pesos in my prior Post, that's wrong, it is 990.- pesos Fee like you state.
the 300 pesos been the rent for the Chicharra for the practice exam, lol.
Mike

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Are the exams available in English? If not what kind of leeway are you given if anything at all.
Example, can you bring someone with you that speaks both languages and can translate for you, and then can they write the answer for you in Spanish.
What else can a non Spanish speaking person do?

If you want to come to Puerta Plata PM me and you can get your license. Don't worry about language, just bring a few pesos.