Rum....

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
I don't fly thru that airport, and if I was flying onto the DR, for a visit, I would not bother with any booze at duty-free. The DR has excellent rum. Like the previous thread, and while it was about DR rum in a DR duty-free, the same concept applies. If it's not a substantial amount cheaper, it's not worth the effort to find it if it's even available, stand in line and haul it home.

Define "a lot" cheaper please. Your first example is about $5USD cheaper than at home, and it's not worth stopping for regardless. The 18-year-old...if it was available I might stop for, but it would have to be an especially good price since again I can order it and have it delivered...but that's just me.

I checked in both STI and SDQ duty-free and they don't currently carry Flor de Caña, so I could not get it to take back home either, even if desired.

For me, it's more about being worth the effort than just the potential savings, and if I'm not saving say $50 I'd rather sit at the bar in the airport enjoying an overpriced beverage or 2 than shopping for things I can order online and have delivered to my home.
Stopping in duty free, in the DR, to buy Dominican products is the big rip-off. These travelers are buying duty free back home, on the way to the DR.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Stopping in duty free, in the DR, to buy Dominican products is the big rip-off. These travelers are buying duty free back home, on the way to the DR.
Yes, we've discussed it before and I think we're all agreed.

The current discussion is more about how it's still not usually worth the effort, unless you see a great deal and know that it's a great deal. Also, there are some things that get featured at Duty-free that are exclusive and or very rare otherwise and it may be your only opportunity to get them. That's much less of an issue to me since my tastes are generally more modest.

I have bought booze in duty-free, regardless of the price so that I don't have to check a bag when returning home. I travel lite, carry-on only, and once you get past all the security your D-F does not count against you and just goes under my seat. ;)

The potential extra cost or savings of $5-10 does not factor in.

To me, it's mostly about the convenience and much less about just or merely the price. To each their own though.

• Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Buying liquor (excluding most Rum} you get a ONE Liter bottle instead of .75 L. So even if the price isthe same you are earning 33%. Big difference. But almost all Rum is not 1L

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Buying liquor (excluding most Rum} you get a ONE Liter bottle instead of .75 L. So even if the price isthe same you are earning 33%. Big difference. But almost all Rum is not 1L

I took that into consideration.

Still, to me and many, it's not worth the effort unless it's something I really desired and to bypass the baggage rules ;)

Of course "do you", it won't bother me a bit! LOL :p

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I took that into consideration.

Still, to me and many, it's not worth the effort unless it's something I really desired and to bypass the baggage rules ;)

Of course "do you", it won't bother me a bit! LOL :p
What baggage rules? If ;you buy on arrival in the DR you just take it with you out of the airport..........Anyplace else it is totally allowed on the plane...............

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
What baggage rules? If ;you buy on arrival in the DR you just take it with you out of the airport..........Anyplace else it is totally allowed on the plane...............
The rules that say if I bring liquid in above 100ml it has to be in checked baggage...and I always fly carry-on only unless bringing down goods worth checking a bag for.

I'm not going to check a bag for a bottle or 2 of booze, but I might buy them in duty free, and then there's no checked bag issues since I'm already through security ;)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The rules that say if I bring liquid in above 100ml it has to be in checked baggage...and I always fly carry-on only unless bringing down goods worth checking a bag for.

I'm not going to check a bag for a bottle or 2 of booze, but I might buy them in duty free, and then there's no checked bag issues since I'm already through security ;)
You have NO clue what you are talking about. Duty Free is packaged and allowed in any amount purchased both on the plane and arriving at the DR. I buy 6-8 bottles on arrival in the DR and go right through to the street with them. I also get 15% off when I show my FAD ID.................

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
You have NO clue what you are talking about. Duty Free is packaged and allowed in any amount purchased both on the plane and arriving at the DR. I buy 6-8 bottles on arrival in the DR and go right through to the street with them. I also get 15% off when I show my FAD ID.................
Seriously, are you having a particularly off day?

We were not talking about D-F AFTER arriving but that would go to my point...no need to check a bag.

If I wished to bring 2 bottles or rum in carryon I could not get them through security, I would have had to put them in a checked bag. OR, top my point I could just go through security with y carry-on bag and then purchase them at the D-F and not have to check or pay for a checked bag.

Got it? Need a picture? And you accuse ME of not understanding? Get over yourself :p

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Seriously, are you having a particularly off day?

We were not talking about D-F AFTER arriving but that would go to my point...no need to check a bag.

If I wished to bring 2 bottles or rum in carryon I could not get them through security, I would have had to put them in a checked bag. OR, top my point I could just go through security with y carry-on bag and then purchase them at the D-F and not have to check or pay for a checked bag.

Got it? Need a picture? And you accuse ME of not understanding? Get over yourself :p
So you agree with me? Listen you just entered my "Pay No Mind List" CONGRATULATIONS.....................

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Spoken like an American. In Canada, if you buy duty free and need a connecting flight to go home, the duty free stuff will be confiscated upon arrival.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Spoken like an American. In Canada, if you buy duty free and need a connecting flight to go home, the duty free stuff will be confiscated upon arrival.
That's a whole other issue now, isn't it ;)

I "always" prefer to fly direct and if that's not possible I would not bother with D-F ;)

But again, and as always, "Do You!" :D