Rumors Heard in the Hall

sable227

Aug 11, 2003
Ok. I don't blame anyone for staying in the shadows. One, I don't care and two some of the biggest news stories in history were sourced to anonymous sources. (Remember "Deep Throat"?) We have to remember that more likely than not the govt. is lurking on the board watching what we all post. So, for reasons that are obvious if someone feels more confident posting this way then who are we to say otherwise. I know I may get attacked for feeling this way and stating so be it

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with you sable.

For that matter, most of the posters on this board use a name other than their own, and JM is not the first to have more than one board name.

Keep the info coming.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
sable227 said:
Ok. I don't blame anyone for staying in the shadows. One, I don't care and two some of the biggest news stories in history were sourced to anonymous sources. (Remember "Deep Throat"?) We have to remember that more likely than not the govt. is lurking on the board watching what we all post. So, for reasons that are obvious if someone feels more confident posting this way then who are we to say otherwise. I know I may get attacked for feeling this way and stating so be it

That could be a valid point, my dear sable, if he/she had anything concrete to tell us. Then I can understand staying in the shadows. So far all that's been reported is gossip/rumors.

Apr 26, 2002
No Golpe

pasha said:
though this may belong in another thread.....will the government change just because poor people are miserable? Quick thinking about regime changes recently, it was a grumbling middle class [Iran] or new money [Equatorial Guinea] or a military coup [Guinea Bissau] that saw incumbents out the door. Can same apply in DR?

Best, P

There is no group of dissenters within the military (they're too busy enjoying their new houses and the fact that they're the only ones who have anything to eat), and the US Embassy still thinks Hippo is okay (Hertell is a tiguere too). A Golpe is out of the question.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
For that matter, most of the posters on this board use a name other than their own, and JM is not the first to have more than one board name.

I didn't know it was possible to have more than one user name. How interesting. That explains a lot of things!

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Fobeca, all you need is another email address. When you register, you must give an email address, and only one name per address is allowed. But since it is very common for people to have multiple addresses, it is easy to have more than one board name. The record that I know of is Escott. He posts as jazzcom, Scott, and Escott.

Then we have all those sock puppets.

sable227

Aug 11, 2003
Ok everyone. Back to the subject at hand. I think what JM is posting is interesting and there some validity to the posts. He has interesting stuff to relate and it is everyone's choice to believe it or not.

JM if you have anything else to share please post again.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A great deal of activity around the Sosua police headquarters about 5pm today. A large group in semi-formation that seemed to be getting instructions. Also a flat bed with several police pulled in nearly overflowing with old, discarded tires that somebody somewhere was no doubt planning to burn tomorrow.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Monday afternoon a huge roadblock on the Sosua-Cabarete highway just past the Coastal station on the way to Cabarete I am told. Confiscated machetes from some Dominicans coming up to do some garden work around Xanadu.

Tom (aka XR)

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
They (The police) go around to all the "Gomeros" and pick up any tires that are left outside. They do this on the eve of every Huelga.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Lots of roadblocks and drunks

We were stopped 3 times on the way back from the North.

The scary part is all these military people with guns in one hand a cup of rum in the other.

Partying on the back of a government vehicle, in uniform, wasted.

Tuesday should be interesting, at the very least.

Johnny Magpie

Nov 8, 2003
Rumors-heard in the Hall

Johnny Magpie

*Disclaimer*

The stuff I post- is what I am hearing- while hanging out at the Colmados/ Discos/ Police-Station/ Shooting Pool/ etc/ etc?..

I will never guarantee- it?s authenticity or accuracy. Just that I heard- while hoisting some Cervesa.

Rumors-heard in the Hall

Its all cool for those who wonder.
Cleef-Eddy-XanaduRanch-Ken a big thank you out to you guys for the valuable info and update. You guys-
action-smiley-035.gif

For those who want other people to believe their own bs.
vomit-smiley-013.gif

If you looking for SYMPATHY try the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis youll find a photo of yourself playing the worlds smallest---
party-smiley-028.gif

What life can be.
party-smiley-020.gif

For those who choose not to believe that there is more to this than just gossip/rumors your not reading between the lines.
Look harder.
angry-smiley-011.gif

I will be out and about tomorrow posting the events as I see and hear them happening-
Listening to the street beat as it plays.

Or maybe not?

More rumors & gossip coming soon!

Johnny Magpie
food-smiley-004.gif

sable227

Aug 11, 2003
I don't know if this is straying off the topic however JM made an earlier comment that I think bears further examination.

His comment about the small businessperson suffering and not having power to run their businesses is very valid. I am talking about the colmados, the salons, etc. They will not be to do what they need to do if there is no power due to no fuel.

If you go out into some of the neighborhoods in Santo Domingo you can see this. Some of the little salons and pelequerias can't do anything due to no power and they don't have an inversore or planta. Some colmados are having a hard time because they are in the same position. Bottom line no sales, no service, no money to feed their families.

In some areas here the police are also putting up roadblocks. Let's hope things stay pretty calm.

sable227

Aug 11, 2003
CDN. Cadena de Noticias?. Derechos Reservados 2003.
Santo Domingo, Rep?blica Dominicana.

The above should give you a clue why I deleted your post.

Last edited by a moderator:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
About the tuesday riots.

There is a very strong police presence all over DR today (monday). I was checked twice in sosua area alone. I had seen truck loads of military personnels being shipped to every hot points in major cities. The grocery stores are all nearly empty. I was in super central (grocery store) and there are lines of people buying things to get through the next couple of days. there is no pre-packaged meat and no dairy products. You have to take a number to wait for the butcher to cut you meat. I was lucky enough to get a pack of beef to get by tomorrow.
Lets see what happens tomorrow. I have a feeling, no one would leave the house tomorrow. If I were you, I would stay home too. Too bad my satellite dish is out of service. I will become a full time internet nerd tomorrow.
Lets keep this thread open to inform us about the progress in huelga.

sable227

Aug 11, 2003
All the locals I know are staying home tomorrow. While they did not worry in the past when a huelga was called this one has them worried (at least here anyway). The little restaurant that we sometimes eat at and they are always open will be closed tomorrow as well. The colmados here are closed as well. If you want anything tomorrow you will be SOL.

There are police and military out down here in Santo Domingo as well. They set up today

We went to the store and stocked up on Saturday and picked up extra fuel for the planta as well as water and refrescos. We are prepared But not leaving the house tomorrow.