Rumors Heard in the Hall

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
To Add Insult to Injury

One big reason for the unrest is the lack of electricity from the grid, from the Ede's. So you'd think they'd do their best to keep the lights on today! Well guess what. Even at the Coastal station in Sosua they wouldn't sell gasoline for our 10 gallon red plastic container for our planta. So not only do we not have electricity from Ede Norte, no gas for the planta. I have to disconnect the stupid planta and haul the thing down for them to fill.

That is soooo stupid on so many levels I don't know where to start.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
I merged AZB's Thread.

I merged AZB's Thread, and sable227 Post, about the
Riots on Tuesday?
With this one, since
Cleef-Eddy-XanaduRanch-Ken/JM
Have already been providing updates since last night.

Thanks
Tim H.:cool:

sable227

Aug 11, 2003
I was also thinking they would do their best to keep the electricity going today as well. Wrong! They went out verrry early this morning. Turned on the planta so can access things like computer and tv.

But the lack of electricity with the extremely long blackouts makes everyone even crazier. Add to the fact the devaluation of the peso making it harder for people to survive is a double whammy.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
XanaduRanch said:
Even at the Coastal station in Sosua they wouldn't sell gasoline for our 10 gallon red plastic container for our planta. So not only do we not have electricity from Ede Norte, no gas for the planta. I have to disconnect the stupid planta and haul the thing down for them to fill.

That is soooo stupid on so many levels I don't know where to start.

Why stupid? Now you are sounding like one of those expats who hangs out at the bar with other expats. And their primary topic is what is wrong with this country.

This is the way it is, and if you live here, you need to adjust to the way things are done here. Among them is to fill your small container before the day of the strike. It is like sending out the police trucks to pick up old tires from the gomeros. You can argue this isn't effective, or that people who are going to burn tires haven't waited until last minute to get their tires and gas. But I don't think "stupid" is the descriptor that we should use.

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Shocked!

:surprised :surprised Had lights most of the day yesterday. Went out around 3:00pm, then came back on a few minutes before 9:00pm. They are still on this morning (8:30am) Danny and I had our L/P tanks filled, car filled with gas, extra bottles water stored and had our cistern topped off. I bought groceries for 2 weeks and laid in a supply of beer and Dewar's along with an extra carton of cigarettes. We be ready!!

All the colmados here in Villa Gonzalez were packed yesterday, and closed at 12:00 noon. Had to visit five before finding a couple of extra chickens to throw in the freezer. Does any of this sound like y2k to any of you guys?

Came upstairs last night to view the landscape. Strange, no people to be seen and quiet. That's a first. Power and no music coming from any direction. I must admit, that part is sort of nice. Didn't even hear that many shots.

At any rate, we are "holed" up for the seige and have no plans to venture out. Got a bunch of videos in case the cable goes out and lots of books. We watched tv and played blackjack last night. By the way, I "whupped up" on big D.

Couldn't wait to get on this morning to see what other folks experiences have been and to see what Mags has to say about coming events. This is the first thread that I open now. Wonderful and insightful. I could care less about your motives, handle or lack of verifiable (to the satisfaction of some) facts. Keep up the good work, but stay safe as you persue those rumors and hoist cervesas.

Dianne

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
But dear Forbeca

Forbeca said:
So far all that's been reported is gossip/rumors.
wasn't that what Magpie said he would do from the very first? Seems like if anyone doesn't like it they shouldn't read his posts. No?

Best, P

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Huelga postponed until noon

Nothing to report here in the Capital. Traffic is light, very quiet, everything is closed - most importantly school!

Even my neighbor took the day off from burning his trash, I like these huelga's.

Power went out at 10 pm. Monday, came back on for a couple hours during the night, back off at 7.45.

Are protesters late sleepers?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
During the previous two governments the authorities seemed to be able to manipulate the power supply. There were never any apagones over Easter or Christmas, or in the run up to an election. One would think that at a time like this they would pull out all stops to give the impression that things are improving, so as to invalidate the protests. The fact that they can't makes me extremely worried. We have had prolonged power cuts for most of the weekend, when the power has come back on it has only been for a couple of hours. I have this feeling that one day soon the lights are going to go out, never to come back again!

Chiri

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Re: But dear Forbeca

pasha said:
wasn't that what Magpie said he would do from the very first? Seems like if anyone doesn't like it they shouldn't read his posts. No?

Best, P

My point, which you missed entirely, is that if Magpie is only reporting rumors/gossip, why not do so under his own name. Everyone else is! Now, if on the other hand he has something concrete to say, I can understand staying in the shadows. That is all people, you either get my point, or you don't.

Enough said, don't make me go off topic again, Tim doesn't like it.

drvuswld

Nov 11, 2003
Hiya all...new here & very glad to read all postings. My husband, myself & two 10 y.o. children were wanting to move to DR from FL, US...but after reading what everyone has to say, we have stepped back from the pump. We're fed up w/ the gov. here but it sounds worse where you are. We thought the cost of living was so much less, but sounds the same....and employment for a master electrician??? (lmao) Any thoughts?

And, btw...we're definitely keeping up w/ all news you're posting...

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Sosua quiet

A lot of military in Sosua. No tire burning or other signs of trouble. The soldiers searched all my employees as they were coming into town to work. No rumors about anything special at this time. No electrcity either.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
No lights, water came through my faucet "brown". No one on the street and I am hearing the motorcycles now running pass the neighborhood (maybe police because I heard 5 gunshots from far away). I am not getting out to see what is going on. I am still sitting still from the back pain.

Johnny Magpie

Nov 8, 2003
Rumors-heard in the Hall

Johnny Magpie

*Disclaimer*

The stuff I post- is what I am hearing- while hanging out at the Colmados/ Discos/ Police-Station/ Shooting Pool/ etc/ etc?..

I will never guarantee- it?s authenticity or accuracy. Just that I heard- while hoisting some Cervesa.

Rumors-heard in the Hall

I made the rounds this morning through the capital- nada.
Everybody was still
sleeping-smiley-011.gif
except the military ? police ? me.

Just like what?s been posted already.

Got into it last night with the old timer from the prd who always has the montero with 00004 plates stopping by. Solomon- king Solomon
costumed-smiley-039.gif

I stroked him with a bottle of Johnny w/red which got me a chair and 2 glasses real quick. A few glasses later I finally got around to talking about hippo wanting to be king again issue- had to keep telling him I did not want the prd party answers- that I wanted to know his opinion privately. After another refill of warm jw/red ? no ice- I couldnt take it any more- I told him I had to go and find some intelligent life to help me finish the bottle.
food-smiley-012.gif

He told me to sit and started talking about hippo and that the real reason hippo wants to stick around is he is very afraid of what the next pres elect might do- unlike the usual blame it on the last guy which everybody does- that hippo is afraid of actually being thrown in poky as a traitor to the dr. That since there is nothing for the next guy- that he would go after hippo and his associates to reclaim what belongs to the people. That very few people know the extents of his damage that he has done- his words exactly ? he would have a revolution to remove him from power on his hands.

I asked him if it wasn?t it just that maybe hippo and the people around him were greedy and wanted four more years of that?
He laughed and said steal what? Its all gone! No hippo needs time to refill the troth a little before the next guy comes along. And that the next guy is going to have it tougher than hippo.

Ill finish this later- gotta go make the rounds again.

Or maybe not?

More rumors & gossip coming soon!

Johnny Magpie
food-smiley-004.gif

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Huelga.....What Huelga????

Just got back from a drive around Sosua. ALL bars, restaurants, grocery stores, taxis, moto-conchos open for business. Not a policeman or soldier in site. A lot of tourists in the streets (In spite of the crappy weather). I haven't seen this many tourists in the streets ( at this time of day) in quite a while.

sable227

Aug 11, 2003
Extremely quiet in this part of Santo Domingo. Ususally during the day you hear traffic, kids, the normal neighborhood activity that you would hear in any neighborhood in any part of the world. Today nothing. No motorcycles, passolas, nada. It is really strange!

Johnny Magpie

Nov 8, 2003
Rumors-heard in the Hall

Johnny Magpie

*Disclaimer*

The stuff I post- is what I am hearing- while hanging out at the Colmados/ Discos/ Police-Station/ Shooting Pool/ etc/ etc?..

I will never guarantee- it?s authenticity or accuracy. Just that I heard- while hoisting some Cervesa.

Rumors-heard in the Hall

Just got back from speaking to the zombies-
4 deaths so far by the military- could be these no show police guys dont want the credit
violent-smiley-082.gif

Whats amazing is that I am driving through the capital well above the speed limit-
car-smiley-012.gif
like something out of a sci-fi movie- unrestricted travel with no-one in sight- just have to drive around the road blocks and stop at the ones you cant. Military every where you go- watching and waiting- like some alien beam from outer space made all the civilians disappear. Was able to stop and get lunch and Cervesa from a colmado on a side street behind the hispaniola hotel with a pretty chica.

Just got a call from a friend who made it from the capital to san christobal in under 20min- non stop- he reported the same thing as every one else- spooky quite- no civilians- goons stationed all over the place.

It looks like bad weather might cover pars of the capital this afternoon

Gotta go make the rounds again.

Or maybe not?

More rumors & gossip coming soon!

Johnny Magpie
food-smiley-004.gif

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
No Ken, I'll stick with STUPID.

Ken said:
Why stupid? Now you are sounding like one of those expats who hangs out at the bar with other expats. And their primary topic is what is wrong with this country. This is the way it is, and if you live here, you need to adjust to the way things are done here. Among them is to fill your small container before the day of the strike. It is like sending out the police trucks to pick up old tires from the gomeros. You can argue this isn't effective, or that people who are going to burn tires haven't waited until last minute to get their tires and gas. But I don't think "stupid" is the descriptor that we should use.
STUPID! First of all this was not the day of the strike, it was before noon on the day before. Because there is no power from EdeNorte I have no choice but to buy gasoline for the planta at least once per day Ken. I don't have a 100 gallon tank in the ground. Although that's about to change. It's STUPID because people, includinf me are getting royally p'o'd at the shortages that are caused by 1) the government is mandating prices for products and services that are below the cost of production, while 2) promising to pay the producers the difference, and then 3) pocketing, as in stealing the difference, and not paying the producers until the producers stop producing and people in this country have nothing. It's STUPID because this is exacly why people are mad. NO ELECTRICITY. So how does it make things better, if there's no power from the grid and then you won't make available the fuel that's necessary to generate your own? That fuel is the life blood of the economy and business. If it's not available EVERYTHING dies that they haven't killed by the above idiotic policies already. It's STUPID IN THE EXTREME because anybody wanting to burn tires in the street, or hopefully a few politicians, can siphon gas from any car, truck, moto or guagua nearby. They don't send a Gringo to the Coastal station to purchase it on his credit card and have them pump it into a standard red and yello plastic gasoline container.

It's just STUPID.

Tom (aka XR)

P.S.
I do not sit in any bar and drink and complain with ex-pats about what's wrong here. I have a Dominican family and I sit and bitch and complain about's wrong with them. No power to finish the thought. It just went out again ... later.