Rumors Heard in the Hall

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Report from Santiago

I went out to visit some friends today.

I noticed there had been at least 20 tyres burned.. Around UTESA a lot of trash had been thrown on the ground. Every mile or two there was one or two military guys standing around.

Most people are just staying in their houses.. and will not leave.

There were very few cars out. No conchos were on the road.
People were having trouble getting taxis. I had to take a friend of mine to work since she could not get a ride. Taxis are concerned about going out because they're considered to be breaking the strike, and that people will throw rocks at them. For private cars its not considered that way.

It has been raining a lot, which reduces the risk of problems. We all know how much Dominicans like to be outside when its raining. :)

But that doesn't mean things won't change later. I think its probably advisable not to go out in the evening.

But certainly in the day everything was calm and fine in Santiago. You can go wherever you want very quickly!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Little traffic on the highway through Sosua today. No guaguas or publicos in sight. However, there are people in private cars picking up and dropping off for a little more than the regular price. How many of these cars are publicos with their signs removed is anyone's guess.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
How the BBC are reporting the strike.

I crossed Santo Domingo from Arroyo Hondo to Gazcue and back today and saw nothing extraordinary, it was like any normal Sunday with some traffic and a few places open for business.

Came home to find the inversor dead.:eek: The power is back now so I hope it'll stay on long enough for it to recharge.

Chiri

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Report from Pto.Pta

All calm here to day so far......5:30 PM, The gang all showed up for work in one piece!
Our driver was all over Pto.Pta today and said everthing was cool.
I hope it stays that way over night,
I hear the strike will end at 6:00 am. Wed morning...

Gringo

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Live from santiago.

AdrianB is right on the money.
Like I said earlier that I heard some gun shots coming from far away. It so happens the action is in Buena Vista (a barrio near my neighborhood). I was so hurting from my fall yesterday that I had to go see my massage therapist to rub me down. I get into my car and decide to take a little side trip to the buena Vista area. Bad mistake. As I was nearing the neighborhood, people were already looking at me as if was on a suicide mission. One look at the main street and I decided to make a U turn immediately. There was a ton of garbage thrown on the street. There were broken bottles everywhere and cheerfull youngsters burning tires on every corner. No police within miles. Then I went towards the city but sticking to the main roads. There was no action on the main roads and especially in the better neighborhoods. As I got to an area near Leon Jeminez I noticed some riot activities once again. Chars of burning tires and broken bottles. I got my massage and heard the rain fall hard outside. Then when I came back to my area, I saw burnt tires even on my street. That is really rare as I live in a very respectable neighborhood. Thanks god to the rain, it killed most of the fires in the area. I have a feeling the real action will start later at night. I will stay home and relax.

Bolt

Jun 12, 2002
www.wireless-alarms.com
Local TV and radio news reporting that the events around the country are either non existant or isolated to just a handfull of locations.

The one thing we have all noticed is how quite it is on the roads!

However, news just coming through of 5 shot dead today when they came into conflict with military and police in different locations.

I guess by tommorow that number could rise a bit but certainly nothing like the tens of thousands taking to the streets as first feared.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Right now in Santiago we have

- no power
- no water
- no cable TV

and, its raining.

The internet is working, but I am noticing problems accessing sites far away (eg Australia).

Lets hope they burn a few tyres and then get back to normal.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Read this morning's papers and you will find that one of Johnny Magpie's rumours was on the money. It is now official. There is only enough fuel in the country to last till Friday and the ship bringing supplies will take 15 days to get here. We are lucky if we get 3 hrs electricity in 24 these days. Next week should be even worse.

Having said that we have had power for most of the night here, so I am hoping that the inversor will have recovered for its next stint.

Papers this morning give the final death toll as 6 civilians and one PN. All seems to have been restricted to the usual hot spots like Capotillo and certain provincial cities.

Chiri

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
What a non event on the North Coast. I went to POP to pick up a A/C and the damn store was closed. No traffic, no trouble, nothing but a bigger police and military presense. Not even a stinkin black mark in the road into Costambar which always has them.

Had lunch with Alberto, drove back on deserted roads to Sosua and end of my day. Going to Santiago today for shopping, and YES you guessed it, LUNCH with AZB if he can walk!

I will report back if I see a burnt tire remains on the way there but I doubt it. NOTHING went on over on the North Coast. Showed the Burro alrighty!

Scott

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
In the for.....

what it's worth department, there are small banner headlines on CNN/et al, saying that DR police killed 6 rioters with rubber bullets. No detailed news that I've seen though.

Best, P

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I would like to see your "Source" Chiri?

I have not heard or seen any reports reguarding a fuel shortage!(what do you mean by :Fuel"? Gasoline,diesel fuel,propane,charcoal,wood,old tires,WHAT?)If we are to believe you,there will be Zero power generation after Friday, Until our "Ship " comes in??
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

Johnny Magpie

Nov 8, 2003
Rumors-heard in the Hall

Johnny Magpie

*Disclaimer*

The stuff I post- is what I am hearing- while hanging out at the Colmados/ Discos/ Police-Station/ Shooting Pool/ etc/ etc?..

I will never guarantee- it?s authenticity or accuracy. Just that I heard- while hoisting some Cervesa.

Rumors-heard in the Hall

Not this time CC DR1 Front page Today

More on electricity
In connection with the issue of blackouts, the Diario Libre is reporting there is a severe shortage of fuel for the generating facilities to produce electricity, and the paper offers the perspective of a possible nationwide blackout by this coming Friday. Sources close to the Haina plant confided to reporters from the DL that they only have fuel to last until Friday and that it will take at least 15 days for a ship to arrive to re-fuel the facility. In the middle of the fuel shortage, the generators have still not received official word that pending debts have been cancelled. EdeNorte, EdeSur and EdeEste have a combined debt of US$375 million. Meanwhile, facilities such as Smith Enron, CEPP-I, Los Mina V and VI and AES-Andres are out of fuel and offline. The plants represent over 550 megawatts of generation. While the plants Los Mina V and VI and AES-Andres operate with natural gas, they do not have the money to purchase this cheapest of fuels.

I have to recover from last night- to much joyriding yesterday.
So busy running all over the place having fun- I wish I could have seen my own face when I was detianed for suspicouse activity.
The full tale tomorrow.

Or maybe not?

More rumors & gossip coming soon!

Johnny Magpie
food-smiley-004.gif

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"There Is Only Enough Fuel In The Country To Last Until Friday"

That is what "Chiri" posted! That is quite a bit more "Dire" than what was reported in the papers today!

Thanks anyway "TIM"!:cool:

You are the only poster on DR1 who drinks Presidente in Pool Halls!

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
I doubt that one would start the thread in his own forum, but who knows.

Has anyone tried the gender (sic) finder?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
"Fuentes de la generadora Haina confiaron a Diario Libre que sus reservas de fuel oil y gas oil s?lo alcanzar?n hasta el viernes" is the line I was referring to in this morning's Diario Libre, which is also the source of the lead DR1 news item quoted by Tim - sorry - Mr Magpie.

Diario Libre article in full.

If my post from this morning sounded like scaremongering, that is a reflection of the tone of the article and its headline, "El pa?s a punto de quedarse a oscuras" - roughly translated as "Country on the verge of a blackout".

Chiri

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
I still think!!!!!!

It's CrissColon.
Or maybe Golo?
Could even be Escott, come to think of it, this started the same day he came to the DR!!!!:chinese:

I do know that it shows a Codetel, IP Address.

Tim H.:cool:

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
"Bunker Fuel" is what is lacking for many of the major.......

.....power producers. Certainly believe there is plenty of diesel in the country. Know of 2,000 gallons that were purchased and delivered today....and as far as "Bunker fuel" is concerned....I am pretty darn sure it doesn't come any cheaper than this "sludge".

drvuswld

Nov 11, 2003
Please do not hijack threads.

People have answered your questions, me being one of those people.

Last edited by a moderator: