Sad very sad

canadaborn

May 7, 2011
I have lived here for 3 1/2 years and in santiago for more than 2 years. My spanish is not enough to understand everything being said so here is what I know for sure. I looked at his body, handcuff or shackle marks on his wrists, bruises everywhere and on the bottom of his feet. The family had an autopsie done. The incident was reported on the TV news. My wife took some pictures of his body and she has all his official papers. His last name is/was Santos and when I get home tonite I will ask her to elaborate a bit more so I can include his full name, pictures and any more insites into what happened and maybe why.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have lived here for 3 1/2 years and in santiago for more than 2 years. My spanish is not enough to understand everything being said so here is what I know for sure. I looked at his body, handcuff or shackle marks on his wrists, bruises everywhere and on the bottom of his feet. The family had an autopsie done. The incident was reported on the TV news. My wife took some pictures of his body and she has all his official papers. His last name is/was Santos and when I get home tonite I will ask her to elaborate a bit more so I can include his full name, pictures and any more insites into what happened and maybe why.

I don't think anybody doubts that this guy was beaten to death but rather that he was beaten because he simply refused to confess. No doubt this could happen here but generally what happens if a thief is caught the first time he is beaten and released if no charges are pressed or if he is a repeat offender and has not made the right officials "happy" he will most probably be killed some way or another. The fact that this guy didn't tell the police who were the friends of his involved sounds odd to me given that if they left him there alone he no doubt figured they weren't his real friends anyway and therefore would have had no problem telling. Unfortunately, it seems to point that he was somehow involved and I don't think people in the family would necessarily like that to be known.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I suspect the OP has been suckered into a "I'm a victim, I didn't do it" societal norm, meet a punk who befriends him and believe anything he says.

I suspect there is a whole lot more to the story. Are we to believe the guy didn't know that his "friends" were thieves, and this was their first heist? Because there are no secrets in the DR...

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
where you can buy and have a gun as if you have a sunglasses
You are clueless.

Guns are VERY expensive here, especially on the black market, and frankly fairly hard to come by compared to the US. That is why you see so many crimes commited with knives, machetes and other weapons.

You need to live where you don't bruise easily.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Yes, Clueless

You are clueless.
Guns are VERY expensive here, especially on the black market, and frankly fairly hard to come by compared to the US. That is why you see so many crimes commited with knives, machetes and other weapons

You are clueless.

"La Polic?a inform?, adem?s, que en Yamas? fue detenido Ferm?n Pe?a Cepeda, de 42 a?os, a quien se le ocup? la escopeta Carandai, calibre 12, la cual alega haberla comprado por RD$4,000.00 a dos desconocidos."

"La Polic?a dijo que Francisco Bonilla Rosario, de 24 a?os, fue detenido en el sector Invivienda, Santo Domingo Este, a quien se le ocup? la pistola marca CARANDAI, calibre 9mm, serie No. G23045, con su cargador y tres capsulas para la misma, sin ning?n tipo de documentos.
Al ser cuestionado verbalmente sobre la procedencia de la misma, manifest? hab?rsela comprado a un desconocido por la suma de RD$ 8,000.00."

"Con relaci?n a las dos armas que robaron ese d?a, un rev?lver del hermano de Casilla Minaya y la pistola de ?ste, el relacionista de la Polic?a ratific? que fueron vendidas por Samuelito, la primera por 8 mil pesos a Marcelo Valenzuela, en Boca Chica y la pistola en 19 mil pesos a Mikail Sulin (El Ruso)."

Of course, a campesino would not spend 4,000 RD$ on a handgun if his old col?n does the same job for so much less... :cheeky:

Guns (even UZI's) can be bought easily and fairly cheaply in Haiti.

donP

Goll

Mar 10, 2009
It seems to me that some of the posters think it is acceptable for the police to beat people to death. If that is a general attitude among Dominicans or foreign residents there is no hope for progress. The arrested man's guilt, complicity or innocence is really beside the point. Perhaps he was just not very intelligent. He was murdered, if this story is true. Those guilty should be arrested, tried and punished. Do local politicians, journalists, broadcasters, lawyers have anything to say about the matter, or do they live in fear?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's not out of fear. Some lip service is paid to the criticism of extra-judicial executions but the general feeling is that it is inevitable in a country where the police and justice system is so inefficient, inconsistent and corrupt.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Investigations are not welcome

Do local politicians, journalists, broadcasters, lawyers have anything to say about the matter, or do they live in fear?

Politicians do not have time for that... less than one year from elections...

All investigative journalists - although few they are - have received death threats (Nuria, Marino Zapete, Erica Guzman, etc.).

Laywers?
You must be joking... :)

donP

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
You are clueless.

"La Polic?a inform?, adem?s, que en Yamas? fue detenido Ferm?n Pe?a Cepeda, de 42 a?os, a quien se le ocup? la escopeta Carandai, calibre 12, la cual alega haberla comprado por RD$4,000.00 a dos desconocidos."

"La Polic?a dijo que Francisco Bonilla Rosario, de 24 a?os, fue detenido en el sector Invivienda, Santo Domingo Este, a quien se le ocup? la pistola marca CARANDAI, calibre 9mm, serie No. G23045, con su cargador y tres capsulas para la misma, sin ning?n tipo de documentos.
Al ser cuestionado verbalmente sobre la procedencia de la misma, manifest? hab?rsela comprado a un desconocido por la suma de RD$ 8,000.00."

"Con relaci?n a las dos armas que robaron ese d?a, un rev?lver del hermano de Casilla Minaya y la pistola de ?ste, el relacionista de la Polic?a ratific? que fueron vendidas por Samuelito, la primera por 8 mil pesos a Marcelo Valenzuela, en Boca Chica y la pistola en 19 mil pesos a Mikail Sulin (El Ruso)."

Of course, a campesino would not spend 4,000 RD$ on a handgun if his old col?n does the same job for so much less... :cheeky:

donP

Yeah right! And do you think the Police ate that one too?

LOL!!!

Guns are their weight in gold in the DR, unless you rob a person out of one (or rented to a crooked Police agent). Heck! Bad apples rent their guns for not less than RD$5,000 pesos per trip!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

I have lived here in Santiago all my life and let me tell you one thing: This is beyond credible as put here! Oh don't get me wrong! The guy is surely dead as Osama today, but the circumstances that envelop his death are far from what you post here...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
You are clueless.

donP
You're the guy who thinks motersickeling in the DR is oh-so-dangerous, too.

Gotcha. :tired:

Lots of credibility there.

You need to read more reports about the theft of registered guns in this country. The reason they are cheap is because they are hot, a MUCH different temperature than one merely smuggled in. List the order of cost for a gun in the DR, and tell me how easy you think it would be to obtain:
  • A properly purchased and registered firearm.
  • A fenced stolen registered firearm.
  • A smuggled but undocumented firearm.
Because a fence unloads a hot gun for RD$4000 does NOT mean that guns here are cheap, period. YOU go see if you can find a RD$4000 pistol in the DR.

And what is your source for the asseretion that an UZI is cheap and easily smuggled in from Haiti.

rubenprieto claimed guns are easily obtained and cheap here. Not the case at all.

I smell BS...

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Facts vs. Opinion

You're the guy who thinks motersickeling in the DR is oh-so-dangerous, too.
Gotcha. :tired:
Lots of credibility there.
I smell BS...

I do not know what "motersickeling" means. :disappoin
But you seem to be the guy who runs a motorcycle tours business here... :laugh:
Whether you believe it or not, 83% of the traffic accidents in this country are caused by motorcycles.

donP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Whether you believe it or not, 83% of the traffic accidents in this country are caused by motorcycles.

donP

Please.... don't start this..... he will kill you with information that will sink you...

Time wasted on your part..... he is "experto"

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

donP

Actually they are caused by the idiots on the motorcycle, although I'm sure there is the odd wheel that falls off causing an accident.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
This kind of news are the ones which make me scare of the fact that I will be moving there this year. To a developing country, where there is lot of poverty, where you can buy and have a gun as if you have a sunglasses, and where there are so many corrupt policemen. Really, really really scary if you think of it ...
This is the whole pack you get when moving there, all mixed with beaches, sun, etc .... :(

Some of what you say maybe very true. However, I've never heard anyone being forced to live here, except for those Dominicans deported from the US.;)