Sad very sad

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
For whatever it is worth I have investigated more dead bodies that I care to think about and things are not always what they seem at first glance. Being dead especially after any kind of trauma do not look like television. Much depends on post mortem transportation, handling and storage. Blood pools at different points among other things and looks like bruising. I do not doubt what you saw but most of the posters here are correct in that the PN does not beat people to death, shoot yes but beat no. It is not an easy process and takes a driven assailant because people are usually hard to kill. I do not want to debate this but rather just mention the common facts. There is more to what happened. There are always at least three sides to an investigation. I am sorry for your loss.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
It seems to me that some of the posters think it is acceptable for the police to beat people to death. If that is a general attitude among Dominicans or foreign residents there is no hope for progress.
No sane person thinks its ok to beat the suspect to death, This is not what we are saying here. I have been living here since 1998 (full time) and I have never come across any problems with police nor I anticipate upon having any encounters with them in the near future. I personally think police is here to protect me. My friends are not thieves and I certainly don't hang with criminals in Punal (very poor area out-skirts of santiago). I am not on police watch list as I have never even come close to being in problems with the law in this country. The police is on the street and they are always watching people. They know who is who in the area and who does what for living. They also know the usual suspects and the criminals. So when the victim was caught, I am sure he was not some guy who was walking out of a church and then taken into custody by the police. If your friends are criminals and rob people, chances are you are not so different from them. If he was innocent why was there any need to beat him to death? He should have talked. Police only want to catch the real criminals and close the case as soon as possible. Why was he not talking? I would have talked and I would have guided the police to the right direction, especially when I know the real criminals.
AZB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
from what i understand the police does not tend to beat people to death in DR. too much work. easier to shoot.
but i have seen public beat up suspected thieves. when the police arrives they throw what's left on the back of the pickup and take off. by the time the car arrives to the police station their cargo is dead as a dodo.
dominican justice, i suppose.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
my brother in law retired as a colonel in the army. he then joined the NP as a colonel. he won't go fishing with me because of the brutal way in which some large fish are taken aboard.............

Goll

Mar 10, 2009
Quoting AZB: "If he was innocent why was there any need to beat him to death? He should have talked." What kind of justice is that? Fascist, communist? Medieval? There is never a "need" to be so violent, those who act in this manner should not be serving in any police force.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
"If he was innocent why was there any need to beat him to death?"

Fantastic logic - this is the kind of hilarity that keeps me going on a grim cloudy morning.
Thanks for that AZB - a true classic! I laughed hard and long.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
BARAHONA
Crowd kills man who was caught stealing

A young man who in the company of another person broke into a house in this town, was killed by multiple shots in the hands of a mob that chased them after committing their crime.

The person killed was named Carlos Caraballo, 29 yo, and the other one with injuries is Jose Ventura Tejada Qui?ones, 30 yo, who reside in the community of Los Bajos de Haina, a town of the same name of the province of San Cristobal. It was further reported that Bolivar Diaz Alberto Diaz, 47 yo, a resident of this county, was injured when the crowd was alleged shooting the assailants.

The thieves entered the house of businessman Jose Tomas de la Cruz Sanchez, located at Jose de Jesus Altuna street, where they tied and muzzle two employees who were in the said housing and while they were inside, as De La Cruz arrived home they also tied him.

According to reports the two robbers managed to open a safe and took away money, clothes and perfumes.

D7644C34-6C10-4545-B661-53E9979CBA6F.jpeg

Multitud mata a hombre que rob? - List?n Diario Digital

I bet his family and friends will also say he was a good kid too! Never hurt even a fly...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
During the Trujillo Era there were very few criminals because most were given the once chance deal...
Got arrested once and the second was not a second, since that first one was last...

Small towns had NO jails or courts to speak of, they simply had an always vacant fresh hole dug up in the campo santo for newcomers...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Farmer dies of heart attack as teen robbed him of an SUV

Higuey. A rancher and land developer died yesterday morning of a heart attack when a teen entered the garage of his residence and tried to steal his SUV, police said.

Lauterio Melo (Sergio Melo), 72 yo, died of a heart attack at his home in calle Celina Pillier number 31 in San Mart?n district, according to a police report.

Melo was reported to woke up at 3:30 am after he heard noises and spoted a young men of 17 yo, who's living in the Restoration sector in San Pedro de Macoris, in the carport of the house trying to steal his vehicle.

Police said the teen had broken a rear window of the Toyota Land Cruiser SUV, G086509 plate, in order to steal it.

The report explains that Melo fired two shots to scare the intruder, but suffered a stroke that caused his death.

The young man fled but minutes later was shot when he tried to steal a pickup truck parked in the garage of another house in the exclusive sector El Naranjo.

The bullet wounds were caused to the teen by the also farmer Frank Junior Guerrero Herrera, 39, a resident of Estefania Brea Street # 8, by shooting a licensed nine-millimeter caliber Browning pistol.

Guerrero said he shot the teen inside his truck which had a broken window.

Police was told the young man confronted him with a knife he was carrying.

Lauterio Melo was president of the Cattlemen's Association Nisib?n (Agani) responsible for the Municipal District board of Las Lagunas de Nisib?n, and residential co-owner of Bavaro-Punta Cana

He was married to Angela Victoria Rodriguez and was a member of a respected family in the province remains the Altagracia.Sus are veiled in funerariua El Shaddai where they will be transferred to Las Lagunas de Nisib?n where he was born and is buried at 10: 00 am on Sunday.

3F18C5FB-DC66-4CA3-B0C3-FE3CC7526EA9.jpeg

Lauterio Melo

Muere de infarto ganadero le robaban una yipeta - ElNacional.com.do

Another "innocent" teen...

canadaborn

May 7, 2011
His full name was Guillermo Santos Almonte and I am now told he was 33 years old. My wife's children's uncle. They all knew him well and say that he was not the criminal type but rather anemic. From the varying storys I have now heard He did give up his so called friends but the police still beat him. He was not a very stong man to begin with and later died in the hospital. The autopsy results, I have not seen, and have no reason to see them because in this country it will read whatever the powers that be want it to read. I believe that the police routinely beat confessions out of the suspects that do not have the political connections to prevent it. My friends have given me many numbers to call should I ever be suspected of a crime and I will use these contacts to stay out of trouble of this sort. Hopefully I will never have to but you should always be prepared

canadaborn

May 7, 2011
Some pictures. Oh oh I can not see how to add pictures and today is the finil day of his funeral so got to go.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
My friends have given me many numbers to call should I ever be suspected of a crime and I will use these contacts to stay out of trouble of this sort. Hopefully I will never have to but you should always be prepared

Your chances of getting beaten in the hands of the police are highly unlikely.
I have yet to hear of a tourist or gringo/european expat getting beaten for a confession.
Actually, I have never heard of a middle class +, educated Dominican given a beating by the cops.

But... If you're poor, running around with the wrong people, known bad history, then your chances increase, rapidly!

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Just to clarify I very seriously doubt that the PN is beating anyone for a confession to a crime. For punishment, to identify other suspects, to locate property, etc I have no comment.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
This kind of news are the ones which make me scare of the fact that I will be moving there this year. To a developing country, where there is lot of poverty, where you can buy and have a gun as if you have a sunglasses, and where there are so many corrupt policemen. Really, really really scary if you think of it ...
This is the whole pack you get when moving there, all mixed with beaches, sun, etc .... :(

It seems someone is having second thoughts about moving back! I am sure stuff like these happen "en los barrios". If you live in a decent (middle class) neighborhood, the PN will treat you differently... Of course, the bad PN will rob you, but he will treat you differently. :)

About not believing the story? Please let's be serious. Thieves have always been treated this way regardless of whom they robbed. While growing up, I remember thieves being beaten all the time, by the local and the PN.

In this case, maybe the PN took it a little too far. Maybe the intent was not to kill him, but it might have gotten out of hand.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
With my experience with police, I have seen them to be extremely helpful. They know who does what in the area and they just don't pick up any jose off the street to beat him up for a confession. They usually know who is doing what. Once my car radio was robbed in a small town. The police went out and rounded up all the usual suspects. Then when they came to the station, the commanding officer picked out the most usual suspects and let the rest go. Then they had a talk with them; after a few slaps on the face they confessed that the robbers were from out of town and the radio is already left the town and is in santiago. The usual suspects were telling the truth and the cops knew that there were some criminals from santiago who were operating in their town on weekends. I just left the town and forgot about my radio. The cops do not just kill anyone for no reason. They know what they are doing.
I have a worker in my house who is a great worker and honest. He does good job and is always dedicated to his work. he is with the house for many years (employed by the owners). The owners think he is the best man there is in the world and treat him like a son. Now I have seen this man on weekends when the owners are no at home. He was so drunk and so wasted on some occasions that he could not even walk. He went to drink is some really shady places and I am sure his friends were not some people he met in a church picnic. If he gets into trouble with the cops, I am sure the owners of the house will not believe a word the cops will accuse him of; on the other hand, I will believe everything the cops will tell me.
AZB

george1

Jan 2, 2011
How can they just beat someone to death and get away with it ? I understand detaining someone for theft, but beat to death... wht the ***k...
It is very common modus operandi and normally finds the approval of the public. Thieves are especially hated here. he should have gotten away by telling who the culprits were.
I lived once accross a police station, there was rarely a night where screams could not be heard......

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Early on, we were broken into and had some jewelery, cameras and cell phones taken, a very slick operation. We reported it to the local PN who seemed genuinely concerned.

A few months later the detective dropped by and told us they knew who took the items and was known as an excellent second-story guy being smallish and agile. And although the items taken were no where to be seen, the perp had "been found apparently dead." His words.

I figured he had been talking in code.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A couple of years ago , on Playa Grande beach, a small time Dominican stole something froma tourist - while the foreigner was swimming.
The tourist didn't see a thing BUT the other locals did - the vendors, et al who make living there.

They chased the guy down the beach into the bush - beat the lights out of him and returned "whatever" to the rightful owner.

No questions asked, just keeping the peace.