Say goodbye to tinted windows in DR.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
sweetdbt said:
Robert,

I don't live in the DR yet, and when I do make the move I will be retired, so I won't pretend to know about the realities of doing business there. What I do know is that they have passed a law restricting tinted windows. There are legitimate safety and law enforcement reasons to justify the law. I believe in most cases it is a fairly simple matter for those who have the now-illegal tints to take a razor scraper and remove them. Why not just do it?

Well I DO live here & I am very grateful for any law which is sensible, as this one is. I thought it was a good idea to restrict cellphone use while driving as well. Anything which helps safety on the roads here is welcome........we should be on our bended knees with gratitude, not trying to inflate our egos by proving how we can flaunt the system. Mind you, that attitude takes a certain level of maturity................. ;)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
sweetdbt said:
I don't live in the DR yet, and when I do make the move I will be retired, so I won't pretend to know about the realities of doing business there. What I do know is that they have passed a law restricting tinted windows. There are legitimate safety and law enforcement reasons to justify the law. I believe in most cases it is a fairly simple matter for those who have the now-illegal tints to take a razor scraper and remove them. Why not just do it?

They have passed a law stopping cell phone use while driving.
They have passed a law for helmet use on a motorcycle.
They have drinking and driving laws.
They have money laundering laws.
They have tax laws.
They have gun laws.

They have lots of laws... Some are enforced, some are not.
Some they will decide to enforce every Tuesday before a full moon, others when they need RD$150 to buy some gas or a beer.

When you have lived in the DR, worked in the DR, survived in the DR and understand just a little how things work here, then come back to me telling me to scrape the tint of my side windows.

Trust me, when you finally retire here, you might just be thankful they do not enforce all the laws.

I'm all for a level playing field... But it cuts both ways. Those enforcing and those abiding.

Negotiating is a way of life here, it's part of the culture.
Business, shopping or the legal system, it's all the same
Just ask Mr. Lama, Ramoncito or AZB :)

Sorry, but if paying RD$200 is going to save me a day of pain, then I'm happy to pay. Just like the guy in the smokey bear hat is happy to except it.

It's the chaos, the unpredictably and the sideways thinking that gives this country so much character, just like many other Latin countries. Not imported moral values, from I'm SSN: 16758593 back in my country that's now a police state. Get used to it or go back home!

Hehehehe, I feel better now :)

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
For what it is worth ........

I am in favour of the law banning heavily tinted windows. I am in Favour of the law banning talking on cellphones whilst driving, would welcome same for drinking whilst driving AND one for limitation of alcohol levels when driving a vehicle. Bring in a Road safety test for vehicles & some form of noise abatement & I will be in my own little heaven!

I am also in favour of these laws being enforced! NO exceptions, NO "buying off" via friends & people of influence. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT saying that people in high places are not important - they ARE, & I fully support the notion one should have influential players in one's contacts, .... BUT, those spheres of influence should be used for removing UNJUST interpretations of the law, NOT when the law is properly excercised. Using ones friends to help you get away with BREAKING the law is tantamount to riddiculing the legal framework of this country & should be opposed by ALL, Dominicans AND Ex-Pats alike. How can we expect to influence the need to UPHOLD the laws of this country if we ourselves contribute to the process of evading the legal framework? Shame on you who think you are above the laws of the country. If you wouldn't do it in your own country of origin, why do it here? Don't lower your standards, try to get others to come up to yours! Heck, you'll be turning up for appointments late next!!!!

Chiri is to be commended in this instance. Not only has she put together a wonderful post (amusingly written but with excellent pointers for those who want to see them) but she has pointed out the illogical situation in her being ticketed WITHOUT using her spheres of influence. I am sure she has many more than most of us & she is to be applauded for not calling them in on such a minor infraction - one she could handle herself WITHIN THE LAW!!!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Robert said:
They have tax laws.
They have gun laws.

Some they will decide to enforce every Tuesday before a full moon, others when they need RD$150 to buy some gas or a beer.

When you have lived in the DR, worked in the DR, survived in the DR and understand just a little how things work here, then come back to me telling me to scrape the tint of my side windows.

Trust me, when you finally retire here, you might just be thankful they do not enforce all the laws.

I'm all for a level playing field... But it cuts both ways. Those enforcing and those abiding.

Sorry, but if paying RD$200 is going to save me a day of pain, then I'm happy to pay. Just like the guy in the smokey bear hat is happy to except it.

It's the chaos, the unpredictably and the sideways thinking that gives this country so much character, just like many other Latin countries. Not imported moral values, from I'm SSN: 16758593 back in my country that's now a police state. Get used to it or go back home!

So you have tinted windows too? ;) Glad you got that off your chest.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Robert said:
They have tax laws.
They have gun laws.

These are not 'imported moral values', neither is it 'part of the culture'.

By saying that you are insulting all the law-abiding Dominicans who wish to see that aspect of life eradicated. AMET, despite their shortcomings, have done a lot to improve things, showing that in the DR, like elsewhere, evolution from savagery to civilisation is possible. It's a process, it's not always easy (especially when attitudes like this are encountered) but it is happening.

Don't lose sight of the fact that in between the people who can buy their way out of trouble and the motley crew I shared a pleasant morning at with AMET HQ you will find a vast swathe of Dominicans, the majority in fact, who obey the law and are striving for their country become more like the so-called police state you mention.

Those are the Dominicans I choose to identify with, as should anyone who loves the DR and wishes it to progress and prosper.

Driving around without fearing that someone speaking on a mobile phone might lose control of the car, swerve and kill me and my family, does not a police state make.

If it means that penalties are applied across the board, that's justice, not a police state.

The situation I was in the other day, where authority overruled justice, was much more like a police state.

Anyway, very dark tinted windows are the ultimate expression of 'I'm all right, screw you' mentality of so many drivers (not just here: my home town is full of them).

You need to be able to see the other driver in some driving situations, to anticipate what s/he is going to do. This is more important that the fact that tinted windows also allow drivers to get away with other things like talking on mobile phones, not wearing seatbelts (and I could not care less whether they do or don't, it doesn't affect my safety) or engaging in illegal activities of any other sort.

Lightly-tinted windows which do not obscure the view of the interior from outside are perfectly compatible with safe driving. Can we really expect AMET officials to make this distinction in a fair way?

I feel better now. ;)

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Yes But?

BushBaby said:
For what it is worth ........

I am in favour of the law banning heavily tinted windows. I am in Favour of the law banning talking on cellphones whilst driving, would welcome same for drinking whilst driving AND one for limitation of alcohol levels when driving a vehicle. Bring in a Road safety test for vehicles & some form of noise abatement & I will be in my own little heaven!

I am also in favour of these laws being enforced! NO exceptions, NO "buying off" via friends & people of influence. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT saying that people in high places are not important - they ARE, & I fully support the notion one should have influential players in one's contacts, .... BUT, those spheres of influence should be used for removing UNJUST interpretations of the law, NOT when the law is properly excercised. Using ones friends to help you get away with BREAKING the law is tantamount to riddiculing the legal framework of this country & should be opposed by ALL, Dominicans AND Ex-Pats alike. How can we expect to influence the need to UPHOLD the laws of this country if we ourselves contribute to the process of evading the legal framework? Shame on you who think you are above the laws of the country. If you wouldn't do it in your own country of origin, why do it here? Don't lower your standards, try to get others to come up to yours! Heck, you'll be turning up for appointments late next!!!!

Chiri is to be commended in this instance. Not only has she put together a wonderful post (amusingly written but with excellent pointers for those who want to see them) but she has pointed out the illogical situation in her being ticketed WITHOUT using her spheres of influence. I am sure she has many more than most of us & she is to be applauded for not calling them in on such a minor infraction - one she could handle herself WITHIN THE LAW!!!

Grahame,

I'm also In favor of what you are suggesting.........However some times I get tired when I'm the only one who stops for a three minute red light and everyone is blowing thier horns and flickering high beams behind me!
Thats when I stop at the nearest store crack open a Presidente get back in my car and say to myself "Bloody Hell"
( When in Rome )
And by the way! I still show up for appointments on time........Why I don't know, nobody else doe's, Force of habit I guess.

Gringo

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
waiting for an answer

Robert, AZB, all other scofflaws,

It was a simple question. "Why not remove the tints"? I still haven't heard a real answer, only a lecture on "when in Rome" and why it is acceptable/necessary to avoid or circumvent the law when living in the DR. Here are some REAL answers which could be made to this question.

1) "I like to talk on my cellphone and drive without a seat belt, and I don't want to get cought for those violations."

2) "I'm a wanted felon and I don't want the police to see me."

3) "My tinted windows make my AC more effecient" (although this one is pretty much blown away by the avoidence technique of rolling down the windows.)

4) "I'm too lazy to scrape the tints off and too cheap to pay someone a few pesos to do it."

5) "I don't want to and I defy anyone to make me." This one would most likely be used in combination with #1, and is probably the closest to the truth.

When I relocate to the DR (hopefully in about 2 years if all goes well) I hope I will, over time, have the opportunity to cultivate relationships with people in authority. I trust however, that I would reserve these "connections" for something valid! This isn't moralizing, it's common sense. My dear departed Dad told me that "a smart man chooses his battles".

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Chirimoya said:
These are not 'imported moral values', neither is it 'part of the culture'.

By saying that you are insulting all the law-abiding Dominicans who wish to see that aspect of life eradicated. AMET, despite their shortcomings, have done a lot to improve things, showing that in the DR, like elsewhere, evolution from savagery to civilisation is possible. It's a process, it's not always easy (especially when attitudes like this are encountered) but it is happening.

Don't lose sight of the fact that in between the people who can buy their way out of trouble and the motley crew I shared a pleasant morning at with AMET HQ you will find a vast swathe of Dominicans, the majority in fact, who obey the law and are striving for their country become more like the so-called police state you mention.

Those are the Dominicans I choose to identify with, as should anyone who loves the DR and wishes it to progress and prosper.

Driving around without fearing that someone speaking on a mobile phone might lose control of the car, swerve and kill me and my family, does not a police state make.

If it means that penalties are applied across the board, that's justice, not a police state.

The situation I was in the other day, where authority overruled justice, was much more like a police state.

Anyway, very dark tinted windows are the ultimate expression of 'I'm all right, screw you' mentality of so many drivers (not just here: my home town is full of them).

You need to be able to see the other driver in some driving situations, to anticipate what s/he is going to do. This is more important that the fact that tinted windows also allow drivers to get away with other things like talking on mobile phones, not wearing seatbelts (and I could not care less whether they do or don't, it doesn't affect my safety) or engaging in illegal activities of any other sort.

Lightly-tinted windows which do not obscure the view of the interior from outside are perfectly compatible with safe driving. Can we really expect AMET officials to make this distinction in a fair way?

I feel better now. ;)

You can't be serious. Most of the people on the road here have no idea how to drive. They paid for their license or they don't have a license. Have you seen the people with the placa perdida?

Have you ever seen a cop bother some one passing a grande back and forth between the driver and passengers on a moto? How about with five people on the moto? Carrying a lawn mower on a moto? Carrying a 75 lb gas tank? Dragging pvc pipes about 50 feet long?

Have you ever seen guys driving motos while talking on there cell phone? If they are using their left hand they don't have use of the clutch. If they are using their right hand, they don't have use of the throttle nor front brake.

Maybe you haven't kept up on local events, news flash, this country is corrupt all the way to the top. They wouldn't have it any other way. It is ingrained in the culture. Have you not tried to do business here? Have you not been quoted the pendejo price yet?

As for the US being a police state, I strongly agree. If you can not adjust to living in a free, back assward, non logical, completely idiotic society (at times), then go back were you came from.

Otherwise you can preach to the families of the preople died because nalu.

As for us being part of the elite, please. I am far from it. Big fish in the little pond maybe. But there are far more powerful people here. Talk to Nalows and Onions and Carrots.

This converstation really is pointless because I'm discussing this with people that either don't live here or don't have the experience to understand the system here.

The bottom line is this, if you are not crazy, stay home. For all of us loons, we love it. I'll continue to drive how a like.

Sure beats getting pulled over by some storm trooper in the states.

"Do you know how fast you were going."

No officer.

"You were doing 72 in a 65".

Well **** then, break out the cuffs, lock me up, obviously I'm a menace to society. Or just give me that $200 ticket and let my insurance company jack my rates for 5 years so that ticket costs me about $2,000 in the end.

Or the worst case scenario here, since the people are still human, is a couple hundred pesos for beer money. Oh and my insurance rate is staying right were it is at $50 per year. Just what it should cost for any crazy *** 390 hp car.

Muscle cars were designed in america, they are made in america, but we just can't drive them in america. What is this world coming to?

There, now I feel better. Pass the grande.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Chirimoya wearing a sweat belt is as much important in accident avoidance as it is during a crash.

If someone has to make a quick swerve to miss someone or something and they are not wearing their seat belt, they might not be able to stay behind the wheel or at very least loose control of the pedals and wheel.

So wether they wear a seat belt or not does affect your safety.

As for the tints it is a matter of preferrence. Some people want 3m limo tint all around. Personally neither of my cars has any tint. I have owned limo tinted cars in the past. It is a pain at night. You can not see cars with out lights at all. Which is another thing, what about all the cars and motos that drive with absolutely no lights at night?

I choose to use a hands free ear peice with my cell phone on the rare occasion that I'm using it in my car.

But with all the crazy things that go on here I think they have better things to worry about.

It's like when I first got here. I had no contacts yet but I could see these people drive crazy. Some drive cars that should have been destroyed long ago. I was making a U turn by the monument. This AMET cop was standing there, like most he had no bike nor radio. I could have just kept going but it was just too funny. With the way these people drive and his is pulling me over for a U turn.

So I pulled over and he walks up. He says how could you just make that turn in my face? I started laughing. He told me you better get serious. I said, listen lets get serious, with the way the people drive around here, like they bought their license, this is just too funny that you are bothering me because of a U turn. He looked at me funny. I told him ok, I'm sorry I made the U turn in front of you. That made his day, he smiled and shook my hand. Told me to have a safe day and sent me on my way.

Sweetdbt, the problem you have to change your thinking from the ground up. Nearly everyone you deal with here is going to try to over charge you. Many time hundreds of percent more than what it should cost. All from a simple mango, to furniture, clothes...... The list is long. And everyday will be a battle. Some people simple get tired of it or run out of money. If you have the will to stick it out, I welcome you to re read your post in 5 years, so we can all have a laugh.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
gringo in dr said:
Chirimoya wearing a sweat belt is as much important in accident avoidance as it is during a crash.

If someone has to make a quick swerve to miss someone or something and they are not wearing their seat belt, they might not be able to stay behind the wheel or at very least loose control of the pedals and wheel.

OK, I stand corrected on that one.

Domwolf

Mar 22, 2004
Idiotas

Man some people on this Forum, pure IDIOTAS...........

And you know who you are IDIOTAS..........

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
gringo in dr said:

As for the tints it is a matter of preferrence. Some people want 3m limo tint all around. Personally neither of my cars has any tint. I have owned limo tinted cars in the past. It is a pain at night. You can not see cars with out lights at all. Which is another thing, what about all the cars and motos that drive with absolutely no lights at night?

I choose to use a hands free ear peice with my cell phone on the rare occasion that I'm using it in my car.

But with all the crazy things that go on here I think they have better things to worry about.

It's like when I first got here. I had no contacts yet but I could see these people drive crazy. Some drive cars that should have been destroyed long ago. I was making a U turn by the monument. This AMET cop was standing there, like most he had no bike nor radio. I could have just kept going but it was just too funny. With the way these people drive and his is pulling me over for a U turn.

So I pulled over and he walks up. He says how could you just make that turn in my face? I started laughing. He told me you better get serious. I said, listen lets get serious, with the way the people drive around here, like they bought their license, this is just too funny that you are bothering me because of a U turn. He looked at me funny. I told him ok, I'm sorry I made the U turn in front of you. That made his day, he smiled and shook my hand. Told me to have a safe day and sent me on my way.

Sweetdbt, the problem you have to change your thinking from the ground up. Nearly everyone you deal with here is going to try to over charge you. Many time hundreds of percent more than what it should cost. All from a simple mango, to furniture, clothes...... The list is long. And everyday will be a battle. Some people simple get tired of it or run out of money. If you have the will to stick it out, I welcome you to re read your post in 5 years, so we can all have a laugh.

Damn, gringo you type a lot faster than me. were you a secretary in a former life? You may be right about laughing at this later, and there are aspects of the relaxed attitudes in the DR I like. I have already become aware of the "gringo price structure" as well, and hopefully will be prepared to deal with it.

I'm hoping that I will retain my beliefs in the rule of law on moral grounds, but I KNOW that from a practical standpoint, I'm not going to exert energy, funds, and possibly "political capitol" to avoid laws that I can easily comply with.

I had to laugh about your anecdote about waiting at the red light. Been there, done that. ;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
gringo in dr said:
You can't be serious....

Maybe you haven't kept up on local events, news flash, this country is corrupt all the way to the top. They wouldn't have it any other way. It is ingrained in the culture. Have you not tried to do business here? Have you not been quoted the pendejo price yet?

As for the US being a police state, I strongly agree. If you can not adjust to living in a free, back assward, non logical, completely idiotic society (at times), then go back were you came from...

There, now I feel better. Pass the grande.

I don't know you, or anything about you so I won't make assumptions about how well you know the country. I'll ask that you do likewise with me. I actually agreed with most of the points you made, once I peeled away the confrontational elements.

It's easy to get the impression that everyone drives like a lunatic. We focus on the law breakers, the ones who stand out on the roads. Maybe in small towns it's more the norm, but the traffic in Santo Domingo contains the full spectrum and I insist that the middle ground of non-offenders is in the majority.

When it comes to attitudes towards corruption, it all comes down to the people we know and fraternise with.

AMET is unfair and inconsistent precisely because there is so much impunity. That's why they tend to pick on the defenceless. If they have to fill a quota, knowing that there are people on either end of the spectrum who are above the law for whatever reason, they will choose their prey from the middle ground. That is why it is important to increase that middle ground of people who do their best to abide by the law.

I also agree that it doesn't make so much sense to pick on something like tinted windows when so many people drink while driving, cars don't have lights, motorbikes with five people etc. etc. One of my pet peeves is the use of high beams at night. You are right to slam AMET for this inconsistency.

Where I depart is that it does not make me want to join the club. I will continue to do my best to keep within the law, and expect that more and more people adopt the same attitude. In the eight years I have spent in the DR I see some of these infringements (e.g. blatant drinking while driving) have reduced somewhat. Almost everyone uses seat belts now, in SD at least. So there is hope. I wish more people would strap their children in, for one thing.

The 'police state' complaint that one hears from people (left and right) in the US and other countries is pathetic. A police state is when someone comes for you in the night and beats you to death and your family is told nothing for years and years. A police state is where the forces of 'law and order' can shoot an innocent bystander dead and never be accountable. A police state is where the small fish have no hope of justice and those who have power and influence can override it.

These are still all realities of life in the DR, which pale into insignificance compared to the so-called assaults on civil liberties people complain about in the US, UK and elsewhere. ID card scheme? Diddums! Traffic cops enforcing the speed limit? Poor delicate petal! There are worse things to bleat about.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Chiri... I think you knew exactly what I was talking about when I said "Police State".

The way some things work here make this country what it is and the reason why I live here. Sorry, I don't like being a number and told what to do and how to do it 24x7. I'll leave that unenviable lifestyle to the people that live in the 1st world countries.

sweetdbt... As my grandpa used to say "If you don't live it, don't talk about it".

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
I didn't claim they have SS storming houses in the middle of the night. But never the less it is a police state. There are degrees with every thing.

People choose to live under that, that is their decission. I chose to leave about 7 years ago.

I know they should have locked me up for those 2 or 3 speeding tickets I had.

When nearly everyone on the highways in the US are driving over the speed limit what does that say about the law?

If you can't see speed enforcement for what it is then I don't know what to tell you. It is just another tax imposed on the people. The state, the cops, the insurance companies, radar/lidar manufacturers and the radar/lidar dector manufacturers are all cleaning up, at the peoples expense.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
When you are ticketed in the U.S. you pay at least $150 for the ticket, your insurance will go up double the price of the ticket,and you will be treated like a terrorist by the officer.

I will deal with Amet or any D.R. Policia any day compared to the above. At least they shake your hand and ask how you are doing. Try getting a cop in the States to do that.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Robert said:
Chiri... I think you knew exactly what I was talking about when I said "Police State".

The way some things work here make this country what it is and the reason why I live here. Sorry, I don't like being a number and told what to do and how to do it 24x7. I'll leave that unenviable lifestyle to the people that live in the 1st world countries.

sweetdbt... As my grandpa used to say "If you don't live it, don't talk about it".

Robert,

So, are you saying that the opinions of all board members who do not live in the DR year round are invalid? Your advertizers might not particularly like that position. I suspect you would get a lot fewer hits if we all went away! ;) How many months a year do you need to spend there to qualify? Are opinions of retirees, who do not work or conduct business only on a limited basis also not worthy?

I currently spend about 5 weeks a year in the DR, and while I am there I drive. A lot of people who live there don't own a car or drive at all. My posts on this thread were all "on topic" concerning a specific law, not life in the DR in general. I feel I am qualified to comment in this area. To save on car rental costs, I will likely be purchasing a car as early as January, which will be looked after by a friend until I move down. Would I be "qualified" to comment then? If I find a good deal on a car with tinted windows, I will have the tints removed. I will do it because it is both the right thing and the practical thing to do.

I'm still waiting for an answer to my question.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
sweetdbt said:
Robert,

So, are you saying that the opinions of all board members who do not live in the DR year round are invalid? Your advertizers might not particularly like that position. I suspect you would get a lot fewer hits if we all went away! ;) How many months a year do you need to spend there to qualify? Are opinions of retirees, who do not work or conduct business only on a limited basis also not worthy?

I currently spend about 5 weeks a year in the DR, and while I am there I drive. A lot of people who live there don't own a car or drive at all. My posts on this thread were all "on topic" concerning a specific law, not life in the DR in general. I feel I am qualified to comment in this area. To save on car rental costs, I will likely be purchasing a car as early as January, which will be looked after by a friend until I move down. Would I be "qualified" to comment then? If I find a good deal on a car with tinted windows, I will have the tints removed. I will do it because it is both the right thing and the practical thing to do.

I'm still waiting for an answer to my question.

If you have an issue with my position, feel free to contact our advertisers.

You're a visitor that plans to live here. Living here is a very different ball game to visiting here. Don't worry, you'll find that out.

Everybody's opinions are valid, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with or endorse them.

What was your question?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Chiri,
I would like to support you in your efforts to keep within the law here. I do, too. I believe if we are guests in a country it behooves us to uphold their laws, regardless of our personal opinions about those laws. To 'flaunt the system' because we 'can' is an attitude stemming from either arrogance, ignorance or colonial/imperialistic notions of being better than the next guy. We should be encouraging good, sensible laws & tolerating (& adhering to) those we believe less sensible.
And if this country was truly a 'police state' would not the arrogant use of tinted windows, no seat belts etc in contravention of the law, mean that offending foreigners were deported...........or 'disappeared'?
In some cases, of course, that might indeed be a blessing. ;)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
God gave some people the serenity to accept the things they cannot change, the courage to change those they can and the wisdom to know the difference.

Then there are others who insist on going through life butting their heads into brick walls and wondering why they cannot break through them...while others simply climb over the wall or walk around it.

Larry