Scandall's Rant: Buying electronics

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
juanita said:
I was told that IGM (Nicolas Ure?a de Mendoza) have good prices, I will check it out, I need a printer and a scanner

You are correct they wholesale computer supplies. They don't have a fancy showroom for this reason but if you know what you want they have the best prices on the island.

BTW: They have a "feria" all this week in their parking lot in Los Prados so you should get a great price.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
JDJones said:
You guys are nuts to be using Business Mail. I had them for a year or two until I figured out that they were overcharging me on freight. The icing on the cake is when I ordered a memory chip for my laptop, and they lost it. I could not get anyone to talk to me about, from the customer service people all the way up to the guy in charge! All they would do is shrug their shoulders.
I switched to Jet Pack, (Thanks to Juanita for the recommendation), and the difference is amazing.
I now get emails that tell me when a package hits Miami, and another when it arrives here. There has never been a time where a package took more than two days to get here from Miami. (With business mail, it could take up to a week or even more)
I really wasn't looking forward to changing my address with everyone, but it was a necessary evil, and I'm glad I did; now everyone is up to date with my current address. (had some old ones floating around)
If you use Business Mail, I strongly suggest you change to Jet Pack, or any other service. I'm telling you, they are scamming you on the freight charges...

Did you use business mail for personal use or for resale? I know almost every computer store in Santiago uses them for resale.

monster

Oct 16, 2005
Does anyone know if I would be charge taxes if I bring a DVD Player through the airport with my luggage?

Or better yet, isnt there somewhere you can referred me to this type of information?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Bringing in electronics y hand through the airport is a crapshoot, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

JD, the reason I ask is because since I bring in larger shipments they come by ocean freight and so the freight charges are much lower than shipping things in by air.

monster

Oct 16, 2005
JDJones said:
Pricesmart has off brand DVD players for about 2800 pesos.
As an example, I bought one in PR for 40 bucks at Wal Mart, and they hit me with 3000 pesos taxes when I hand carried it back.
Buy the cheap one at Pricesmart, toss it when it goes bad

did you bring it in its original box or did you put it in your carry on bag?

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
JDJones said:
Pricesmart has off brand DVD players for about 2800 pesos.
As an example, I bought one in PR for 40 bucks at Wal Mart, and they hit me with 3000 pesos taxes when I hand carried it back.
Buy the cheap one at Pricesmart, toss it when it goes bad

Silly JD~

Next time, just have Ingrid distract them while you pass through, unmolested. I highly doubt they would be paying attention to your DVD player if Ingrid were there.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Bait And Switch" At Customs "Las Americas"!!

Not THEM,ME!
In June I was in Boston.Buying a lot of "Stuff" to take back to the DR.I found the original box from a 17 inch TV down my friends basement.I filled it with used clothes,canned food,candy,and my "Underware"!when I got to customs at "Las Americas",I put the "TV" up on the converor belt first,my "Trunk" second.They went right for the "BAIT"! They asked me what was in the TV box? I told them.They,of course,didn't believe me.After all,"Boxes" don't lie ! I opened the box as slowly as I could,asking several times if they really wanted me to open the box.They rushed to look inside.Obviously disappointed to find exactly what I said they would!What about the trunk I asked? "Never mind,go ahead",I was told.
Al;l the "Good Stuff" was,of course!",in the trunk!!:bandit: ccccccccccccccc

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Criss Colon said:
....when I got to customs at "Las Americas"
Why even bother going through customs. When I arrive at Las Americas, I always go to change money on the other side of the ropes first. Then I just continue out. The few times when they've tried to stop me, I always say I already went through (in English) and continue walking.

Of course, I rarely bring anything taxable. I'm sure the one time I try to bring something in, they won't fall for the trick.

monster

Oct 16, 2005
Well I will be flying in on the on December 21, and I am just gonna take the dvd player out of the box and wrap it up with several layers of clothes. Hopefully I can squeeze on by like last Christmas. Actually the last couple of times I flew in, they didnt even bother to check my luggage,I hope that will be the case this time, cause I dont want to pay 3000 pesos to bring a $70 dvd player.

tonsoffun

Sep 26, 2003
flat screen

you should try joluma in gazque or igm
the two biggest wholesalers
17- inch is 9000 or 9500 depending on brand 15 inch are cheaper

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
All luggage goes through xray machine DR airports. So if you have anything inside that resembles electronic item, they will pull you out.
Azb

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Jet Pack

Can anybody tell me where their offices in Santiago are located? If there are offices in Santiago??
Appreciate it!
Stay well,
Amy

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Update: Scandall's monitor held hostage!

Well, I sure am glad I paid the extra money for next day delivery. Unfortunately, that only means that DELL delivered my monitor to Miami the very next day. Business Mail accepted delivery last Thursday.

You would figure that it would be in SD on Friday and in my hot little hands by Saturday at the latest. Not so fast!

They have been giving me the run around since last Friday. It's coming...it's coming. Then they said I would be able to pick it up first thing on Saturday...which became Monday. I was up on the North Coast for one day but called to verify. Nope. Wasn't there yet...something about the plane not coming on Saturday. I didn't mention that they had it since Thursday.

Last night they told me "Sir, it is here in Santo Domingo and will be ready for you in the morning. It is just not in my system." Tuesday morning has come and gone. Same story. I have spoken with them 3 or 4 times today. Each time they asked me to call them back because their system was down. The last time I asked them to call me. She said she would in 5 minutes. After an hour I called them.

My last contact was at 5:15PM. They told me it was not in Santo Domingo yet but would be at 6PM.

"But can I pick it up tonight?"
"Call me after 6PM, Sir. My system is down right now. We will see."

We will see? That's what my Dad used to tell me when I asked if we could stop for ice cream on the way home from baseball.

I am still saving a lot of money by ordering the DELL. I am sure I will be happy with it. But this does not bode well for Business Mail.

I will be back later with Part II. Any predictions?

Scandall

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Tomorrow,Go Get An Account At "EPS"!

Best 300 pesos I ever spent! ALL my kids Christmas presents arrived before I left Santo Dominigo! I get "Tracking #s"
and E-mails from the time my "stuff" arrives in Miami,is on the plane,in "Aduana",and finally in the EPS office on C/ Ortega Y Gaset.

cc