Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Awesome info and pix...thanks.

What about organizing egg-sitting shifts of residents and local business owners? I've participated in wildlife protection activities where we all take just a few hours a week in pairs. I'm not sure of the logistics here and whether you'd need guns or to be authorized by the local government (I know this sounds absurd here but in the US you need permission to this type of thing.)

Good luck to all of you involved!! Remember...a small group of committed individuals can make a difference.
paz y salud

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Volunteers could handle the security aspects til they started to hatch. Then you would need to get the involvement of marine biologists. Hmmmm... I bet those little cuties might draw a few extra customers to see them at a certain marine park on the North Coast while they growing past the "easy bite-sized meal" stage. Just a thought.;)

Aug 21, 2007
Dogs love to eat sea turtle eggs. And with the number of beach dogs in the area, I am concerned.

Until a plan is made, volunteers need to watch the eggs. A simple sign to alert beach goers who might not understand the circle of chairs on the beach would also help.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
I just heard from a friend that another turtle came ashore on the beach at Azzuro last and layed eggs. Not as large a turtle as the previous one and I don't know what species. Does anyone have more info?

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
My friend has experience with sea turtles' eggs hatching.
They did have to scoop them up and take them to the shore.
They had trouble getting over the sand, and then the waves kept bringing one back in. She had to toss it back in a couple of times.
I think they were able to swim out about 75 feet to a reef.
If the vigil is kept up, they should make it.
Amazing photos!
mkohn

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Of all the times to be on the beach and not have my damn camera! Thanks for posting the photos. It was truly a magnificent sight. I have seen many turles in the wild, i.e. Grand Cayman, Mexico etc. But to have this beautiful creature come up onto Cabarete beach and to witness it definitley will be the highlight of the year. Although it was sad that so many people crowded around her, it was also a fantstic experience for those that were there to witness this rare sighting. I am sure that the majority of people there, both locals and foreigners alike have never seen anything like this, at least in the wild, and so it is only normal that there were such large crowds. I would like to congratulate the local authorities for acting so fast and keeping their best to keep the crowds at bay. As most of us know, the police on Cabarete beach have been doing an amazing job, and to be faced with a new challenge they certainly did do a great job. Lets hope that the surviellance will continue as this will really test the capabilities of those responsible from the marine biology department and any other department. It really is a tough call on whether to move the eggs or not. But then again, considering the location of the eggs, on one of the busiest beaches on the island, I think that it may be a good idea to move them into captivity. Unfortunately there are a few people that would turn this into a financial opportunity. If this is in fact a rare breed of turtle and certain people were to find out then you can imagine what might happen. We also know that as far as organization is concerned here in the D.R. it would be hard to believe that the authorities could provide decent 24 hour surveillance....I mean, how many watchmen at banks, businesses or even residential homes actually stay awake at night???!!!!
Well, that's my thoughts. Great to see it happening in Cabarete, lets hope it will be the first of many more.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
In Punta Cana we get a lot of turtles laying their eggs on our beaches. Whenever it's that time of the year, we even close off part of the beach they use the most to give them the best chance possible.

Due to the location of these eggs, I would recommend contacting the Aquarium in Santo Domingo to see if they could remove them and have them hatch in captivity. We've had them pick up a few babies once in a while so they would probably be happy to make the trip. Important detail for those that do have the opportunity to see turtles hatch, let them make their own way to the ocean. That makes them strong and teaches them to defend themselves, therefore giving them a better opportunity against the bigger fish in the ocean.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Time for some good PR?

Nicky is going to make sure that Ocean World are aware. Surely an Ocean World banner around the site in exchange for paying for 24hour security would be a good start. In view of the fact that this is an endangered species, I doubt very much if they (or anyone else for that matter) would be allowed to interfere with the nest or the hatchlings but maybe some special dispensation from the environment minister to take a few hatchlings and grow them up to a decent size would get approval?

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
Phone Or Chat

Please someone, tomorrow morning call the nature conservancy.

The Nature Conservancy in the Dominican Republic - Dominican Republic Environment Conservation - Conservation in Dominican Republic

Ask for the Director (Andr?s Ferrer) and ask what is to do? What needs to be done to ensure a 'safe hatching'. He speaks English! I had the number somewhere but cannot lay my hand on it now. I'm sure someone could look it up.

So, who will make the call?
Found this The Nature Conservancy: Poverty & Conservation Chat
And This
Dominican Republic
Calle Jacinto Ma?on
Esquina Federico Gerardino
Plaza D'Roca, 4to Piso, Apartamento #401
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
(809) 541-7666

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Nicky is going to make sure that Ocean World are aware. Surely an Ocean World banner around the site in exchange for paying for 24hour security would be a good start. In view of the fact that this is an endangered species, I doubt very much if they (or anyone else for that matter) would be allowed to interfere with the nest or the hatchlings but maybe some special dispensation from the environment minister to take a few hatchlings and grow them up to a decent size would get approval?

That was EXACTLY what I was thinking. The fact that they are a protected species (meaning they are near extinction) is actually a reason to permit human intervention (from qualified professionals) rather than prohibit it. I know this has been done in other places.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Just come back from the beach, the area is partially protected.
jrwpp1.jpg

10ct7c6.jpg

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
2nd turtle reported last night in front of azurro, and I was told by a friend who works on the beach that a 24 hour watch has been posted by Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales or some other group to protect the sites. I may be out there later tonight & will advise if I see a guachiman and if he has a warm plate of scrambled eggs in front of him.

update: Quaqualita just came back from the beach "both turtle nests 'fenced' off... with sticks and rope no guards at both nests
second nest is right infront of Azuro ... from what people tell, last night, different turtle.. smaller than the first one"

Quaqualita did say there could be someone posted to keep an eye on the nests but sitting in the shade.

jeje: previous posts with fotos put up while i was writing... good job, tee!

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
Just come back from the beach, the area is partially protected.
jrwpp1.jpg

10ct7c6.jpg

Found this The Nature Conservancy: Poverty & Conservation Chat
And This
Dominican Republic
Calle Jacinto Ma?on
Esquina Federico Gerardino
Plaza D'Roca, 4to Piso, Apartamento #401
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
(809) 541-7666
Please someone, call the nature conservancy. t

Ask for the Director (Andr?s Ferrer) and ask what is to do? What needs to be done to ensure a 'safe hatching'. He speaks English!

So, who will make the call?
tee Just come back from the beach Could you or some one in the D/R make the call ?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I called The Nature Conservancy and sent them this thread as evidence.
Let's see what they do.

HB

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I used to work with turtles when I worked in the Maldives. There are two problems. Firstly to protect the eggs from predators (usually human) and then when they are born. They usually make it into the ocean but they are so small most will get eaten by fish as soon as they reach the reef. They need to be kept until they are a little bigger so the fish can't eat them (sharks can but not too many of them here) and then released.

And did you know that whilse the mum turtle is giving birth, her husband is waiting for her off shore?? Sweet. Just like Dominican men, not there at the birth but standing outside (well in the colmado having a few beers!!!)

Matilda

ymleon

Apr 15, 2008
leatherback nest care

This is indeed a leatherback sea turtle, or in Spanish "tinglar", the largest of all sea turtles species. They are considered critically endangered in the Pacific, but in the Atlantic only endangered, and in recent years seem to be recovering well... and this is proof of that. April through June are the months where most of the nesting for this species occurs. We are studying the nesting of sea turtles in the south coast in Jaragua natl park (Pedernales province) and del Este Natl Park (Saona island). (more info here Nidificacion de Tortugas Marinas en Rep?blica Dominicana)

For those of you on location, its important that nesting turtles are not disturbed, especially by movements, lights, bonfires, etc as they are coming out of the water, or they might be scared away. For businesses located in the water front, keeping lights to a minimum helps also, especially when the hatchlings emerge (around 50-60 days later) so they are not disoriented and can return safely to the ocean. For the laid nest, the critical period is right after laying, because we dominicans *love* to eat sea turtle eggs... due to a (wrong) belief that they are aphodisiac. After a couple of weeks have passed, the eggs have embrios and are no longer desired for consumption. Just making sure mortor vehicles are off the beach and people dont play with the nest or dig holes for voleyball net poles, etc. during the incubation would be the main concerns.

Please contact me if you have any questions or would like to give me more info. (my email is ymleon@intec.edu.do)If someone could provide the dates and a detailed location of the nests (gps location would be super) i would be very thankful, it will make a very useful contribution to our research. Im trying to do a visit next week with my colleague Jesus Tomas whos now following up on the nesting season in Pedernales.