Sea Turtle in Cabarete

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
That is just horrible!! that ****es me off!! I know in Hawaii, if you wake up a sleeping sea lion on the beach you get a $15,000 dollar fine!! you can not disturb the animals at all!

Sealions come on shore all the time for naps, at first you think OMG it's dead...but No...just sleeping!!

These turtles should not be touched what so ever!! it's not a freaking petting zoo!!

Sad to say it is the DR.... Monkeys touching the turtles. The same monkeys that think cock fighting should be a olympic sport, that throwing rocks at dogs is normal and tie pigs/roosters/horses or whatever in one leg so they do not escape... As always there are exceptions that confirms the rule.

The turtle at Onnos came up first, but the time depends on the area. Maybe more shade there, longer time to hatch... Sooon though, I heard from the girl that basically sleeps with the turtles...

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Sad to say it is the DR.... Monkeys touching the turtles. The same monkeys that think cock fighting should be a olympic sport, that throwing rocks at dogs is normal and tie pigs/roosters/horses or whatever in one leg so they do not escape... As always there are exceptions that confirms the rule.

DR Mpe, rather offensive choice of words above. It appears you're referring to Dominicans as 'monkeys'? If so, from the photo I saw I wouldn't blame all of the issues on the island's indigenous 'monkeys'.

7-5_turtle_1.jpg

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
DR Mpe, rather offensive choice of words above. It appears you're referring to Dominicans as 'monkeys'? If so, from the photo I saw I wouldn't blame all of the issues on the island's indigenous 'monkeys'.

7-5_turtle_1.jpg

:) Yeap of course u r right, sry... but then Albino monkeys also exist. ;) I actually like monkeys, but they are maybe not the worlds best protectors of the environment and animals.

Last edited:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I am sorry if someone mentioned this already but the thread is so long now,I wanted to ask how old is this turtle, wow she's huuuge.

I really hope she's being guarded well and people would stop touching her, she might catch something. :ermm:

leave the turtle alone!!! heheh

but seriously thank God there were concious people who had the good sense to protect her.

J

John Evans

errrm I dont think shes still sitting on her nest on the beach....lol

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i just wonder, hypothetically, where would i have to go to try turtle soup?

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
I believe that the turtle that laid her eggs at the Azzurro was a different species than the one at Onno's. The one at Onno's was a Leatherback turtle and I think the incubation time for those ones are a little longer . However, it should be any day now.
I hope somebody will be there to remove the chicken wire so that they can get to the ocean.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
It is now June 25 and no turtles have hatched at Onno's as far as I know.
My friends at Pitu sat out there at the beach many nights to see if anything was happening.
What went wrong?
Does anybody have any more information?
If it is true that Ocean World people went out there to dig up and weigh the eggs, that may have been a deadly mistake.
Any info??

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Out In The Ocean... Here We Go

The turtles left their nest outside Onnos this evening at around 6.45 pm...about 30 in the first nest... seemS like the next nest is ready also...

I have very good photos...but don?t know how to upload them...