Sea Turtle in Cabarete

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Protection?!?!?

Just come back from the beach, the area is partially protected.
jrwpp1.jpg

10ct7c6.jpg

What does it protect against, drunks outside Onno?s?? For sure not against dogs... And it only drags attention for those dominicans (which is the majority) that don?t care about animals what so ever...

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Protection improves...

Sitting in Onno?s seeing them nailing some grating around the "cage". :) Keeps the dogs away anyway.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No news on this scene over two days. What's happening? Ocean World? Nature Conservancy? Medioambiente? Anyone??

HB

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Sitting in Onno?s seeing them nailing some grating around the "cage". :) Keeps the dogs away anyway.

The last time I looked there was a huge space at the bottom of the enclosure where dogs could easily get in and dig. However, the nest looks to be undisturbed so far.
I am just wondering, if the recent cold weather and the rain have any influence on the development of the eggs. Nothing we can do about that, it's nature.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
The last time I looked there was a huge space at the bottom of the enclosure where dogs could easily get in and dig. However, the nest looks to be undisturbed so far.
I am just wondering, if the recent cold weather and the rain have any influence on the development of the eggs. Nothing we can do about that, it's nature.

I would think that the rain might assist in that it would wash/drain any scent that mamma had left when laying the eggs. Can't say about turtle eggs, but with fowl eggs, lower temp leads to longer brood time--sometimes mal-development, but too hot is fatal.

Any turtle egg experts here?

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
A couple of days ago, there were people weighing and measuring the eggs. I think they were from Ocean World. When they were done they replaced them. I guess they know what their doing.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There was a picture in yesterday's paper that turned my stomach. People hovering around one of those giant turtles and putting their hands on the animal!!
I am sure they would do the same thing as one of you women went into labor ....

HB

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
It's almost time for the turtles to hatch.
Apparently there was a meeting in Cabarete last week concerning the turtles. Does anybody have any information of what the outcome was and if there will be a watch to make sure that they are safely getting into the ocean?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
. Does anybody have any information of what the outcome was and if there will be a watch to make sure that they are safely getting into the ocean?

After 75+/- nights of Reggaeton from Onno's & Bambu... I suspect they'll do a little bump and grind on the way to the water, if they don't stop to order a Presidente first.

28718.jpg

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Very funny!! LOL
....but seriously, any more info? I am back in Canada now and I am very interested to see what happens, since I saw her lay the eggs.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
I was just thinking about this last night!! i hope they take the baby turtles and hang on to them and nurture them at least till they bigger and then release them! survival chances would be better..no?

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
There was a picture in yesterday's paper that turned my stomach. People hovering around one of those giant turtles and putting their hands on the animal!!
I am sure they would do the same thing as one of you women went into labor ....

HB

That is just horrible!! that ****es me off!! I know in Hawaii, if you wake up a sleeping sea lion on the beach you get a $15,000 dollar fine!! you can not disturb the animals at all!

Sealions come on shore all the time for naps, at first you think OMG it's dead...but No...just sleeping!!

These turtles should not be touched what so ever!! it's not a freaking petting zoo!!

J

John Evans

shouldnt the cabarete ones have hatched first- whats happened to our turtles