Shark visited Sosua Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bienamor

Glad you have had your rant!

now for reality.
Sharks are a necessary apex predator, getting rid of them causes unspeakable harm to the environment. This has been proven over an over on land. Example is reintroducing wolves to Yellowstone. Or when humans move into the mountains and find out that there are cougars and bears already living there, they then seem to think that the animals that were there before them should be eradicated so they who have no business there in the first place can live in peace.
Much like the city folk that move to the country and find that they are living next to a pig farm and they then go to court to try and shut down the farm that has been there for a 100 years.

https://www.yellowstonepark.com/things-to-do/wolf-reintroduction-changes-ecosystem.

https://www.reference.com/pets-animals/would-happen-sharks-became-extinct-98a63fffbf2425e2

https://www.sharksider.com/every-shark-disappeared
/

T

tee

Most likely this is pointless...but here I go:

Anyone with basic knowledge of an eco-system knows that when you remove an apex predator, it's a bad thing. Simplified: Kill all the wolves, and the deer population gets diseased. Go into the woods- there are bears, it's their territory. Be smart, be careful, and your chances of problems are low.

There are sharks swimming around us all the time-we just don't see them. And statistically you have a better chance of being struck by lightning or attacked by a cow than a shark.

There have been 4 documented shark attacks in the Dominican Republic - two in the 60s, one in Boca Chica (contested because the victim may have been thrown in the water already dead), and one in Punta Cana (also contested).The International Shark Attack file doesn't even list the latter, because the bite wasn't even from a shark.

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/shark-attacks/maps/na/bahamas-antilles/

http://www.sharkattackdata.com/gsaf/place/dominican_republic

Yup...cow related accidents are very high here!!! If someone is afraid of one shark, the first sighting of one in Sosua bay, you had better stay away from a herd of cows, which are all over the country!!
In defense of Uzin, I don't think that there is a necessity of referring to 'uneducated' or 'human stupidity', but I do think that you have overreacted to this.

A

Auryn

Yup...cow related accidents are very high here!!! If someone is afraid of one shark, the first sighting of one in Sosua bay, you had better stay away from a herd of cows, which are all over the country!!
In defense of Uzin, I don't think that there is a necessity of referring to 'uneducated' or 'human stupidity', but I do think that you have overreacted to this.

And you’re entitled to your opinion. But I’ll click likes for what Peterj posted all day long when someone states that all sharks should be killed. Not even slightly logical.

F

frank recktenwald

This island is called Isla Cabra in Panama, it was also used for filming Quantum of Solace and right on the right corner that's my favorite spot to catch shark, reef, hammerhead
2d8esld.jpg

This is only 200 mtrs from this holiday resort.
2u9po5f.jpg

I've lived there several years and have caught quite a few sharks in that area but I've never heard of any shark attacks.
Sharks are most of the times afraid of humans so Uzin you don't have to put on your nappies to go into the water. ;)

T

tee

And you’re entitled to your opinion. But I’ll click likes for what Peterj posted all day long when someone states that all sharks should be killed. Not even slightly logical.

I will agree with you there....but I think that this is more down to ignorance than stupidity. Anyone willing death to such a beautiful creature should just be educated on the necessity for the eco system and they keep populations of other fish healthy. You know, Sosua bay is infested with deadly lion fish which is destroying the coral reef, which unfortunately are not eaten by sharks but I would be much more worried about a lion fish than one shark. In Cuba they have actually been training the wild sharks to eat the lion fish. Of course, nobody wants to see the bay of Sosua overcome with sharks and it has not happened in the past and I don't believe it would happen anytime soon.

U

Uzin

Yeah, yeah, this is all sorted out by shark lovers, its a bit like PC now, if you even give a hint of any anti-shark feelings you are doomed.

Sharks can be eradicated no problem, more fish and seal for us, all the examples and scientific models are given by a few who are paid handsomely to support sharks and come up with reasons why we should spend millions protecting them. Many dangerous species of animals are removed, eradicated and managed in many countries on land for our safety, like you still have wolves running around UK to keep the population of deer in check - we do all that pretty easily. In fact the reason given for keeping sharks is because they claim we can not do the same management in ocean, right. and why not, we are good at eating fish ...!?

Statistics do not justify or explain away the support for these creatures. You all hate drunk-drivers on the road, me too, you want them band, removed, behind bars, and eradicated from the roads. But statistically they cause very few accidents (considering how many are on the road in DR !), most are due to negligence, dangerous driving, speeding, faulty vehicles, and a lot more.... so why bother ! Or should I say don't go on the road if you are scared of them but let them be...!

How about flights, Boeing Max has so many flight hours without an incident, statically speaking these two accidents maybe negligible, I am sure if they hadn't stopped them they would go on years and years, but hey, do you fly in one now ! And why so much worry about it...

DR shark stat is low, that is why I am (was) in the water almost every other day (and usually the same all year around wherever I go because I love the ocean, minus sharks that is), no way you see me in places where these nasties are around regularly though.

Sharks attack humans when they feel like it, no question, and cause terrible injuries and death, less in some places and by some species, more in other places, but why we support them, ecological bullocks, it's because a small minority of people have a weird fascination with them and make a living out of it. A good living I might add - imagine all the extra fish and seal we could gain and save all the money by removing conservation and/or move the efforts to something more worthy that doesn't bite our ass off....

W

william webster

You need to study the various types of sharks.... and which bite
===========================================================================

There are more than 500 species of sharks swimming in the world’s ocean. Yet when most people think of these cartilaginous fish, a single image comes to mind: a large, sharp-toothed and scary beast. That generalization does sharks a huge disservice, as they have far more variety than that. They range in size from the length of a human hand to more than 39 feet (12 meters) long; half of all shark species are less than one meter (or about 3 feet) long. They come in a variety of colors (including bubble gum pink), and some feed on tiny plankton while others prefer larger fish and squids. They are found in just about every kind of ocean habitat, including the deep sea, open ocean, coral reefs, and under the Arctic ice.

Wherever they live, sharks play an important role in ocean ecosystems—especially the larger species that are more “scary” to people. Sharks and their relatives were the first vertebrate predators, and their prowess, honed over millions of years of evolution, allows them to hunt as top predators and keep ecosystems in balance.

But sharks are in trouble around the world. Rising demand for shark fins to make shark fin soup, an Asian delicacy, has resulted in increased shark fishing worldwide; an estimated 100 million sharks are killed by fisheries every year. Sharks are accidentally caught in nets or on long line fishing gear. And because of needless fear spurred on by films such as Jaws, the instinct for some is to hurt or kill sharks that come near—such as the controversial shark culling in Australia. (This is despite the fact that you are more likely to be killed by a lightning strike than bitten by a shark, and more likely to be killed by a dog attack than a shark attack.) Combined, these actions have decreased many shark populations by 90 percent since large-scale fishing began.

C

Cortez

....just a land shark that lost his way after a night of to much beer and chicas........................

J

jd426

Yeah, yeah, this is all sorted out by shark lovers, its a bit like PC now, if you even give a hint of any anti-shark feelings you are doomed.

Sharks can be eradicated no problem, more fish and seal for us, all the examples and scientific models are given by a few who are paid handsomely to support sharks and come up with reasons why we should spend millions protecting them. Many dangerous species of animals are removed, eradicated and managed in many countries on land for our safety, like you still have wolves running around UK to keep the population of deer in check - we do all that pretty easily. In fact the reason given for keeping sharks is because they claim we can not do the same management in ocean, right. and why not, we are good at eating fish ...!?

Statistics do not justify or explain away the support for these creatures. You all hate drunk-drivers on the road, me too, you want them band, removed, behind bars, and eradicated from the roads. But statistically they cause very few accidents (considering how many are on the road in DR !), most are due to negligence, dangerous driving, speeding, faulty vehicles, and a lot more.... so why bother ! Or should I say don't go on the road if you are scared of them but let them be...!

How about flights, Boeing Max has so many flight hours without an incident, statically speaking these two accidents maybe negligible, I am sure if they hadn't stopped them they would go on years and years, but hey, do you fly in one now ! And why so much worry about it...

DR shark stat is low, that is why I am (was) in the water almost every other day (and usually the same all year around wherever I go because I love the ocean, minus sharks that is), no way you see me in places where these nasties are around regularly though.

Sharks attack humans when they feel like it, no question, and cause terrible injuries and death, less in some places and by some species, more in other places, but why we support them, ecological bullocks, it's because a small minority of people have a weird fascination with them and make a living out of it. A good living I might add - imagine all the extra fish and seal we could gain and save all the money by removing conservation and/or move the efforts to something more worthy that doesn't bite our ass off....

Every single thing you said here makes ZERO sense ..
dont even want to dignify it with a response, but lets just Say that SEALS eat FISH, a LOT of Fish.. Sharks , being the Apex Predator come in for the seals .
but if you know anything about seals,, and maybe Google Cape Cod and the seal Population , you would learn that even many DOZENS of Great WHITES , who regularly patrol the beaches which are loaded with a now OVERPOPULATION of Seals , not even THEY can control the seals its so out of control.
So you wishing for more seals just proves you know nothing about what you speak when it comes to that food chain .

please Do some research before you type.
and Sharks dont have " feelings" btw.. lmao

B

bienamor

liked this not DR but sharks

https://tropicalbeachresorts.com/2015/11/04/are-there-sharks-in-the-water-at-siesta-key-beach/

The Statistics

• Death by Selfie > Death by Shark.
A recent CNN article disclosed that while there have been eight confirmed shark-related deaths worldwide (six of which were in unprovoked attacks) so far this year, there are at least eleven confirmed selfie-stick related deaths; making photography a bigger threat than swimming with sharks.

B

beeza

The only sharks you need to be afraid of are the ones with "frikkin laser beams strapped to their heads"!

T

tee

The shark was dragged out of the water backwards and then dragged back into the water backwards...the idiots drowned the shark because a shark cannot breath backwards. The moment a shark goes backwards the water enters its gills the wrong way so the shark stops breathing and drowns. When the shark was being taken out of the water then the water that was inside would have come out through its mouth, but taking it back in the water backwards well there is nowhere for the water to go..so it died. I know that one person that has posted here will be happy that a bunch of ignorant a55holes managed to kill the only shark to have come to Sosua Bay.

B

Big

I can think of several things to be concerned about in Sosua; waterborne disease, food poisoning, drunk drivers, banditos, angry chicas. Sharks are at the bottom of the list. Im in the water almost every day (not in Sosua ) and never think once about sharks, Im more worried about stepping in dog poo from the new wave of dog owners that let their dogs run the beach, disgusting.

Z

zoomzx11

Very unlikely that a healthy shark would be easily roped by the tail.
Likely that the animal was ill or injured.
There is nothing in the way of normal diet for a mako shark in Sosua bay.
Makos normally inhabit the deep offshore waters and are not high up on the list of man eaters unless provoked.
Nothing to worry about sharks suddenly becoming a threat at Sosua beach.
This is a one in a million event and there is no mention in the story of the animal attacking anyone.
You are more at risk of slipping on the rocks and breaking your neck than being attacked by a shark here.

Z

zoomzx11

I can think of several things to be concerned about in Sosua; waterborne disease, food poisoning, drunk drivers, banditos, angry chicas. Sharks are at the bottom of the list. Im in the water almost every day (not in Sosua ) and never think once about sharks, Im more worried about stepping in dog poo from the new wave of dog owners that let their dogs run the beach, disgusting.

Add stepping on broken glass and freshly discarded cigarette butts to your list.

Status
Not open for further replies.